Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

“First Come First Serve” Rooms with Reservation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Had an interesting scenario happen today with my parents, who (like me) are HH Gold members. They booked a room with a specific bed type for a weekend stay at a suburban Washington DC Homewood Suites months ago. They arrived tonight around 6 (so not a late arrival) only to be told there were no rooms available for them. The explanation was that specific room types were given out on a “First come first serve” basis at check in, even if a reservation existed. They were offered a room with different beds than they wanted. Eventually the hotel did offer them their bed type in a “downgraded” room (assuming a studio instead of a 1 bedroom suite) and a discount off the rate.

We’ve certainly run into situations when booking a room where a bed type isn’t available but I’ve never heard of reserved room types not being honored at check in because other people had arrived before them and taken the rooms. If it’s a maintenance issue, I surmise they would have been told such. Anyone else have this happen to them?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Not at Hilton but yeah it has happened to me where instead of king bed I got a room with twin beds(and “nothing they can do about it”).
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Figure it’s like being walked. We overbooked a specific room type, everyone showed up, so you get stuck with something else. Hampton has the 100% Guarantee. Does Homewood have something similar? I’d expect something more than just a discount to reflect the downgraded room.

Did your parents check in online before arriving on property?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:40 am

As someone who used to work in hotels for over a decade, I dealt with overbooking (of a bed type, room type, or the entire hotel) all the time. Trying to figure out exactly what happened will be impossible without interviewing the hotel employees. There are many different scenarios that could have resulted in this experience:

• The Front Desk Manager had a plan to avoid elite-level guests from being affected, but an employee made a mistake and gave away a room to a "regular" guest.
  • The Front Desk tried to move a "regular" guest into a downgraded room but that guest started screaming.
  • A maintenance problem caused one or more rooms to be unavailable. (In most cases, we wouldn't necessarily tell the guest they couldn't get their room because of a maintenance issue.)
  • Everyone arriving that day was an elite-level guest. Somewhat rare, but it happens occasionally.
  • The number of arrivals for the day is so low that everyone checking-in is going to get the wrong room type. Exceedingly rare, but can happen if nearly the entire hotel is booked by a multi-night group.
  • A guest showed up without a reservation, but was accommodated because they were a repeat guest, super-duper elite-level, or visiting the hotel's largest corporate client.
  • A guest showed up with a reservation for the wrong dates, but was accommodated because they were a repeat guest, super-duper elite-level, or visiting the hotel's largest corporate client.
  • A guest showed up with a reservation for the wrong hotel, but was accommodated because they were a repeat guest, super-duper elite-level, or visiting the hotel's largest corporate client.
  • One or more rooms refused to check out as scheduled and the hotel needs a court order (per local law) to evict a guest.
  • A hotel Sales Manager forgot to make a reservation for potential client.
  • The hotel owner needed a last-minute room.
  • There was no plan because the hotel is poorly run.
With the exception of the last one, I've personally experienced all those scenarios.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Mar 9, 2019 at 5:41 am Reason: Fixed formatting.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Segments
Figure it’s like being walked. We overbooked a specific room type, everyone showed up, so you get stuck with something else. Hampton has the 100% Guarantee. Does Homewood have something similar? I’d expect something more than just a discount to reflect the downgraded room.

Did your parents check in online before arriving on property?
No they did not. Never been an issue before. I know some on here have also discouraged online check-in because it could preclude upgrades (though I know Homewood doesn't have upgrades). I normally do online check-in myself because it has been assigning me low floor rooms (against my preferences) otherwise.

Almost seems like it's becoming like the airlines where they are penalizing you for not checking in earlier by making it more likely you'll be "bumped".
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
No they did not. Never been an issue before. I know some on here have also discouraged online check-in because it could preclude upgrades (though I know Homewood doesn't have upgrades).
Homewood certainly does have upgrades at most properties.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:15 am

Yeah, OLCI is pretty nice because it allows you to lock in the room type and at least best location (I like corners, against stairwells, away from the road, and other quiet places). You can always negotiate with (beg) the desk for an upgrade the way you would have to anyhow at most Hilton properties. Hotels have been overselling in general and on room type since the dawn of time, but that doesn't make it right when a guest doesn't get what they signed up for. One can definitely push on this with management or corporate as needed.

However, once a compromise is accepted, generally all leverage is lost. OP mentioned that the guests accepted (well, it at least implies they accepted it) a discount. Was it to their liking? Do they consider the deal fair? OP doesn't explicitly state what they're looking for - it sound just like a curiosity since there is no ask about compensation, etc.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by smmrfld

Homewood certainly does have upgrades at most properties.
Some Homewoods do upgrade elites as a matter of policy, but technically they are not required to offer one.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What Hilton brands (and at what elite levels) have a bed type or room type guarantee?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yeah, OLCI is pretty nice because it allows you to lock in the room type and at least best location (I like corners, against stairwells, away from the road, and other quiet places). You can always negotiate with (beg) the desk for an upgrade the way you would have to anyhow at most Hilton properties. Hotels have been overselling in general and on room type since the dawn of time, but that doesn't make it right when a guest doesn't get what they signed up for. One can definitely push on this with management or corporate as needed.

However, once a compromise is accepted, generally all leverage is lost. OP mentioned that the guests accepted (well, it at least implies they accepted it) a discount. Was it to their liking? Do they consider the deal fair? OP doesn't explicitly state what they're looking for - it sound just like a curiosity since there is no ask about compensation, etc.
Definitely wasn't ideal, but they were tired after traveling, are preparing for a baby shower this weekend, and didn't think there were many other options (another hotel at last minute rate? A poorer quality hotel?). Sounds like they received one bed instead of two, the latter of which they prefer since one has a harder time sleeping (which can disturb the other's sleep). They are making it work for now. I don't know the extent of the discount - will have to ask.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What Hilton brands (and at what elite levels) have a bed type or room type guarantee?
None.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yeah, OLCI is pretty nice because it allows you to lock in the room type and at least best location (I like corners, against stairwells, away from the road, and other quiet places).
Unfortunately, I don't think this is correct. I've used on-line check in before and gotten a different room. And I believe that is what is stated when you use it that your room might still be moved.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should a refund be expected if the new room costs less than what was originally booked?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by missamo80
None.
I looked before I posted the question. I didn't find any, so thanks for confirming that. Starwood used to have a bed type & non-smoking guarantee but only on paid reservations for gold+.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:48 pm

The hotel will likely say that if you accepted the 'downgraded ' room, and didn't negotiate a partial refund or compensation at the time, they will not compensate. Ask nicely at the Diamond Desk or Guest Assistance, and they might through you some Honors points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.