Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Sound Hotel Seattle Belltown, Tapestry Collection by Hilton {US-WA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Sound Hotel Seattle Belltown, Tapestry Collection by Hilton {US-WA}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Arrow The Sound Hotel Seattle Belltown, Tapestry Collection by Hilton {US-WA}

Stayed here last night on a mattress run, really nice experience, including a surprise at checkout!

Greeted as a Diamond at check-in, explained that I would receive 1000 elite points, as well as access to the 7th Floor lounge for breakfast in the morning. As lounge hours were reported online as weekday mornings only, I asked about weekend breakfast for elites, given a reply that it was "provided in the restaurant Currant" instead; implied that charges would be removed from the bill, but no dollar amount specified. Took my keys, with the remark "I think you'll be the first guest ever in that room!" I did not take any corridor pics, but the place has a gray-and-black scheme throughout. No lobby shots either, as there were lots of managers around, so would have felt self-conscious. There's a pantry by reception, as well as the restaurant adjacent to the lobby.

Keep an eye out for the signage! King County Public Health next door on corner is easier to spot.

The room … not your average Hilton. Was reminded of the Duniway in Portland, OR in terms of (boutique) style. I'll let the pics speak for themselves pretty much here …

Refrigerator below, Keurig above, supplies in drawer, ice bucket and glasses, and that thing on top that looked at first like some sort of wierd dispenser? It's a lamp, a really funky retro number!

Here's your storage space: three deep drawers on the right, with the left for full-length clothes hanging (including guest robes).

Here's your desk area, with AC and usb easily accessible. Couch more comfortable than it perhaps appears.

Behold: the bed! AC and usb on each side. In addition to bedside lamps, there are overhead (ceiling) lights, switches on each side controlling its half.

View from the bed, not remarkable, but there it is.

The couch seemed more comfortable for reading, etc. However, as additional seating it's pretty classy!

Bedroom was very quiet, with solid heating on a cold night. Otherwise, not much else to say. On to the bathroom ...

Yes, it's done in black tile. I was a bit concerned about the low pressure from the tap, but the shower worked okay using the handheld wand. I don't bring a ton of stuff with me, but honestly, the counter was a bit cluttered. Two folks who need space would find things "challenging" I think.

I'm certain you wanted to see the shower itself. Now you know.

Flyertalkers LOVE their toiletry discussions, so made an effort to "pose" these guys in best lighting possible. Shampoo-and-conditioner was decent - then again, I don't have a lot of hair! Float color scheme works perfectly if nothing else.

Okay, so much for the room. As the lounge wasn't going to be opening until the next day's breakfast, I headed down to the restaurant for a drink (OK, two glasses of wine) and some food. Staff were very professional, prices were decent for a hotel in a major city; asked the chef an obscure question about a menu item when he made an appearance, receiving an enthusiastic helpful response. I'd consider going there sometime even if not a guest.

That brings me to the "surprise" mentioned at the outset. I covered the lounge breakfast in the Hilton elite lounge thread, but am mentioning here that it was full of managers on its first day of operation. Based on something I'd overheard, I brought up that I didn't feel I'd been "upgraded" as a Diamond, inferring that they'd have been willing to move me had I been staying a second night. (I also learned that the building is part hotel, and part condos.) My final folio showed an f&b charge of $5 rather than $45. It could have been my manager conversation at breakfast, but I'm assuming that the front desk removed my menu charges, including tax, leaving only the tip on the bill, since the lounge wasn't open on Sunday evenings yet. Either way, there's a class act!

I've noticed some FT'ers have a "thing" for key cards, so took a shot. Makes a nice way to end the review if nothing else!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Just finished a 2-night stay at this hotel for a business trip. Boutique hotel, very new, quiet, stylish rooms, nice staff. Executive lounge on 7th floor has a great view of downtown Seattle skyline and was not crowded at all both days I went for breakfast. No key required to enter the lounge, at least in the mornings. They check your name on a list and bring you a check (w/ full price) which the server said is credited upon checkout if that's your Honors benefit. Good but limited selection of hot items (egg patties with and without meat, potatoes, bacon), bread/pastries, and cold items (yogurt, hard-boiled eggs). Could use some fresh fruit. Location is convenient to Amazon buildings in Belltown and walking distance from all of the main attractions in downtown Seattle. Price was good for the area, $165/night which was slightly under area HGI and HI properties.

One of the better Hilton property experiences in recent memory - would definitely stay here again!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
is valet the only parking option at this hotel?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:19 am
jrx
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yes, valet is the only option.

I stayed here several weeks ago and was somewhat underwhelmed. Friendly staff, spotlessly clean property, but the breakfast was mediocre and there were a few issues with the design of the rooms. And they weren’t able to send me a digital key before my arrival. The location was convenient to where I wanted to be and I had not been to a Tapestry property before so it was at least worth a try. I might be biasing my opinion on being unaware of what the standards actually are for Tapestry, but as nice as the rooms were, I expected a better breakfast (which was a continental buffet with items reminiscent of Hampton Inn, but presented artfully).
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by jrx
Yes, valet is the only option.

I stayed here several weeks ago and was somewhat underwhelmed. Friendly staff, spotlessly clean property, but the breakfast was mediocre and there were a few issues with the design of the rooms. And they weren’t able to send me a digital key before my arrival. The location was convenient to where I wanted to be and I had not been to a Tapestry property before so it was at least worth a try. I might be biasing my opinion on being unaware of what the standards actually are for Tapestry, but as nice as the rooms were, I expected a better breakfast (which was a continental buffet with items reminiscent of Hampton Inn, but presented artfully).
I stayed here a few nights ago. It seems that in addition to the complimentary breakfast in the lounge, one can now opt for a $25 credit in the restaurant towards hot food as an alternative.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We'll be there on a weekend as a Diamond, still unclear as to what breakfast would be on a Sunday morning.

We're going to Jazz Alley, really nice to have a Hilton within walking distance now.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
We are staying there before a cruise in May. I did think the price was a lot better than some of the other Hilton properties in the area. On the return we are trying out the newish Embassy Suites - which I am using 70K points (a lot I think) but the cheapest rate I could find was $300 plus before taxes.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry I can't recall whether the lounge is open for breakfast on Sundays, but I don't think so. Be prepared for credit at the a la carte restaurant instead.

Not to go too OT, but the ES charges a lot because of location. On the plus side, their dedicated evening reception area, and (separate) breakfast room, are a nicer experience than the scrum experience at typical ES atriums.

​​​
shmom likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:06 am

We stayed there this past Saturday night for one night, and had breakfast on Sunday so want to report that the lounge IS open on Sunday mornings. I also thought it was limited but good and the view was nice. Attendant was almost too helpful - she kept scooping away our utensils and napkins so we had to keep stealing more from other tables (only spoons are on the buffet, strange).

We really liked the hotel, and could see both the positives and negatives listed above. We didn't find the chairs all that comfortable (especially not the orange leather one with the footrest), but were thrilled to have so many choices to sit - how often do you get a hotel room with just one chair and you have to call dibs?

If you look at the toiletries you'll notice it is conditioning shampoo - there was also separate conditioner (not shown) so we had very well conditioned hair!

The staff was great. Thrilled to get a room Saturday morning before noon. We just got a standard room (no upgrade) but even that was very spacious - no Spaceneedle or Sound views, just the buildings across the way (far enough for lots of privacy). Speaking of "Sound", I was a little surprised by all the music décor both in the rooms and lobby (besides the music mural in the first post, our hotel also had a picture of stacks of old vinyls where you could read all the titles). I asked since the lobby had much music décor, also, and was told that the location (Belltown) was the old music center of Seattle, and the "Sound" name was also a reference to Puget Sound.

And we also ate lunch in the restaurant - real food, not just drinks Everything we had was very tasty - I especially liked that cauliflower and feta salad (you can look at the menu), I added steak and it was a very filling, delicious lunch. My husband had the soup and sandwich combo and really liked everything. Only complaint is the steak did not need to be salted on top of such a savory salad. For dessert we walked a block and got cupcakes at the Yellow Leaf - they were just ok, and outrageously priced at $4.50 each.

We come up to see one of our favorite singers at Jazz Alley when he's in town, and this hotel is a short 2 blocks away (even closer than the Westin where we have stayed before). Jazz Alley is a great venue with reasonable prices for some nice entertainment. Check it out.

All in all a great stay and we'd definitely stay here again.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Stayed here recently, with a major​​ breakfast update: the buffet now features avocado toast!

Had the $12 happy hour duck flatbread for dinner which I found quite filling.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Stayed here recently, with a major​​ breakfast update: the buffet now features avocado toast!

Had the $12 happy hour duck flatbread for dinner which I found quite filling.
Was this in the upstairs lounge or is there a buffet downstairs for Diamonds that we missed? (I still don't "get" avocado toast)
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Was this in the upstairs lounge or is there a buffet downstairs for Diamonds that we missed? (I still don't "get" avocado toast)
The usual upstairs lounge. They had scrambled eggs instead of those sous vide(?) crustless quiche thingies.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The usual upstairs lounge. They had scrambled eggs instead of those sous vide(?) crustless quiche thingies.
You know what was really good up there? They had waffles in a plastic wrap that you were supposed to toast or microwave, we took one and just ate it right out of the package like a cookie and it was delicious.

The duck flatbread sounds good, too.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Any updates on this property? Changes to services etc.?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
I'll follow up on my own request. Stayed here two nights this week. The hotel is still quite new and modern. I think it is deservedly the top rated hotel in Seattle on both Google Maps and TA. I don't have any photos of the room but they are no different than the photos at the beginning of the thread. The only change was the toiletries are both a different brand and not quite so large, but they otherwise seemed fine.

There is no breakfast service but a $12 credit in the lobby bistro/cafe. While I typically dislike these in hotel dining options they have excellent coffee and pastry options and a decent bar. The lounge on the 7th floor looks nice but probably better in the summer - unfortunately you have to go to the lobby for food and drink service and then bring it up the elevator.

Housekeeping still on demand. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Many thanks to Gustav. Valet a total ripoff at $50+ but we didn't use the service, personally this hotel is easy enough from light rail on foot to make it worth the savings if you don't need a car.

Location is rather quiet for downtown. Not much in the immediate surroundings but very close on foot to major attractions. Happy to answer any questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.