Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cblaisd
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]

Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/hilton-honors-award-chart-changes-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:40 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
When Hilton announced the big changes last year, it was clear that they are moving towards revenue-based redemptions. With categories having gone away, there are no "devaluations" per se, just constantly changing prices. It shouldn't come as a surprise that the prices are mostly going up...
You can expect them to change even more frequently in the future - just like cash prices do! Nobody is screaming "devaluation" everytime cash prices go up...
It's the new normal for Hilton Honors - you get a narrow band of point-value, no terrible value, no great value... easy & safe for infrequent users and less chance for great award value for people who are paying close attention... so consider it in your choice of hotel chains and reward programs...
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The screaming will really kick off when when all the 95k high-end properties are aligned to 0.5 cents fixed value. Then it’s well and truly a cashback programme.

I don’t think Hilton have the guts to take away the aspirational aspect to the programme. Getting 10% back on some corporate travellers Hampton stay doesn’t quite have the same appeal as saving up for a free week in the Maldives. Away from the brands that give actual status benefits I believe we would all prefer to have real cash back in the form of Hotels.com style loyalty rewards.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kat007
per paul00 in the thread "Four New Hilton Perks":
"Reward nights at Hampton by Hilton Minsk City Centre in Belarus, DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka in Malaysia, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ningbo - Chunxiao and Hilton Garden Inn Foshan in China, and Hilton Alexandria Corniche and Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza in Egypt have gone up from 5,000 to 10,000 points per night

Also, Hampton by Hilton Swinoujscie, Poland has gone from a maximum of 10,000 points per night to 15,000 points. Previously Category 2 was fixed at 10,000 points, while Category 3 was fixed at 20,000 points.

Standard room rewards at a number of properties in Russia have doubled from 5,000 points/night to 10,000 points/night:​​​​​​​etc, etc. I recall some more jumps from 10K->20K, but I don`t remember those (one of the properties is in Singapore, if I remember correctly)
Keep in mind that Hilton devalues them in batches, so what is 10K today, might be much higher tomorrow.
When did Oman, Poland, and the Columbus airport become part of Russia?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When did Oman, Poland, and the Columbus airport become part of Russia?
Comrade, has always been that way.
jefftiger likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Kat007
And besides Brits who know about this city in the middle of nowhere (well, somewhere lost around Manchester and York), majority of the world does not care about it or have any desire to go there. Even for the 10K Hilton points
​​​​​​With an attitude like that am I the only one here who is rejoicing in the OP’s misfortune?
craigthemif and wizla like this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
​​​am I the only one here who is rejoicing in the OP’s misfortune?
Careful - with talk like that, you'll get shut down in no time. And we all know that you have more to lose than, well, any of us.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Originally Posted by Howste
I booked reservations for this hotel in Iasi last October for a stay in May. How new is this hotel? Glad to see it's still 5,000 points.
Hotel opening posted in hotel industry news around October 31, 2017.
Howste likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Careful - with talk like that, you'll get shut down in no time. And we all know that you have more to lose than, well, any of us.
Shut down? My post is an antidote to the antagonistic anti-Hilton, anti-FT, rant the OP has spewed out across not one, but two threads; I am very much pro-Hilton, pro-FT!

Besides, I haven’t broken any rules - I only have one Hilton account.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

Shut down? My post is an antidote to the antagonistic anti-Hilton, anti-FT, rant the OP has spewed out across not one, but two threads; I am very much pro-Hilton, pro-FT!

Besides, I haven’t broken any rules - I only have one Hilton account.
I know, I know, was only kidding!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I know, I know, was only kidding!
Noted - sorry!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Speculation: When will 95k point cap be lifted / next Hilton deval occur?

Purely speculation here, however I really think a big devaluation is coming for Hilton Honors. I am specifically referring to the official removal of the 95k ceiling for standard redemptions, which would subsequently be replaced by either (1) no cap and an entirely free market, or (2) a higher limit of 120k - 150k.

It has been several years since Hilton’s last big deval to bring us to the 95k cap and slowly the Marriott Bonvoy program is catching up - as of March peak redemption rates will be 100k points. Therefore, I think there is a high risk of the next deval to occur in March or April 2019 after the pending Marriot devaluation.

The new WA Maldives has already broken the 95k point barrier with standard rooms at 120k/night. For this property specifically I think 120k/night is still good value (and I am personally excited to visit later this year). However, the potential worrisome point is that there has been no official announcement from Hilton regarding updates to their max standard award level (please feel free to correct me if I have missed it). The closest thing I could find is in a nice loyalty lobby article by John, and no, I am not John nor do I know him
https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/02/14/...icing-anomaly/

The quote from the Hilton representative endswith “At this time, we do not have any other hotels that we deem would fit into this pricing model”. Hilton’s big investment to expand WA and Conrad over the next few years to catch up with Marriott at the luxury level has been well documented. I am speculating that “At this time” will be over very soon and more than ever people should earn and burn. I wonder if we will even get an announcement or if the cap will just be lifted one night? Any thoughts from the community?

Last edited by brandonpkt; Feb 24, 2019 at 11:48 am
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will regret it BIG time if they move to a total model of no aspirational redemptions and a fixed point value.

Many guests will just move to use Hotels.com with its 10% back. Hilton’s hotels will be crying out blue murder as some of the commissions are genuinely huge, especially on bundled packages.

No more need to stay loyal encompassed by a proliferation of weakening Elite benefits, such as the dire breakfast offerings in their biggest market; US. I see free Wi-Fi message on the booking sites too. There are threads all the time on how poor reception is for Diamonds in the US and when your points are worth an fixed amount, that can be devalued at any time...

Who would bother? Just book through Hotels.com, get your free night that you can use at hundreds of thousands of hotels worldwide.

“Stop clicking around”, was in my view, a flop because the chains are just not powerful enough to fight off the online bookers. They still drive a huge portion of their sales and it’s often better for the consumer as they offer a wide selection of smaller chains or independent hotels that are so often far better than the US corporate hotel in town.
BearX220 and B3nder like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by brandonpkt
It has been several years since Hilton’s last big deval
???
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by B3nder
???
March 28th, 2013 (almost 6 years ago) was the last time the max standard award rate increased: from 50k/night to 95k/night - a very dramatic devaluation at the time. It has taken 6 years, but their peak standard award is starting to looking attractive vs SPG/Marriott. We will see how long that lasts.... https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...honors-points/
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:05 pm

That did occur in 2013, but it was hardly the most recent major deval. Originally the 80/95k was a handful of properties.

There are no published categories anymore. Now even many hampton inns are 50k+ for standard awards at off-peak times. The old, more favorable Points and Money are gone. The variable points costs (based on $$ cost) have gone up multiple times. The larger devaluations have crept in after they went to the opaque "no categories anymore, ha!" set up.

There are properties that are allowed to only list a handful of handicap rooms as their only standard awards or to even to disable standard point awards completely. Yes, the hhonors rep has stated this is not the case, asked for examples, gone and "checked on it" and nothing done of course to "correct".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.