Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hilton and AARP discount" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond

What are the benefits of AARP when booking the Hilton ?
I am a not living in the US so I assume the only benefit would be on the Hilton bookings (perhaps 6 nights a year in the US , 30 nights outside of the US)
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: HH D
The AARP-rate should get you a free 2 PM check out, when available. Also, in very rare instances the AARP rate is better than the AAA-rate or any other publicly available discounted rate. In the US, the AARP rate also may be slightly better than the Hilton Honors member discount. An AARP membership can be more useful with IHG, where on the US-site it says you qualify for the 'Senior Discount' if you are member of a retirement organisation, and I assume the former American Association of Retired Persons qualifies as such. (I believe you can become a member at age 50, you don't need to be retired). You can try to use this at IHG-hotels for world wide properties. AARP membership outside of the US and Canada is very expensive, because for some reason they don't offer a digital-only membership for international customers. They insist on sending you monthly and quarterly magazines full of offers for which you don't qualify for living abroad.

Don't know about the rest of the world but in Europe with Hilton AARP and AAA only offer a slight discount over the Best Available Rate plus often better rates are available.
Beano likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Beano
What are the benefits of AARP when booking the Hilton ?
I am a not living in the US so I assume the only benefit would be on the Hilton bookings (perhaps 6 nights a year in the US , 30 nights outside of the US)
Rates discounted almost identically to AAA, but the membership to AARP is cheaper. British Airways discount and car rental discounts. Some restaurants give an AARP discount.

You have to do the math. I picked a random hotel in Scottsdale AZ for tonight. AARP/AAA was $244. Best available was $287. Australian membership is US$28 a year. I picked a future night in a lower priced Las Vegas hotel. $12 a night savings, plus whatever small tax savings.

Finally, it would also save you AU$21 per night at the Hilton Sydney on a random date. AU$391 versus AU$411.

You have to do the math and only you know what other discounts exist for you, but it is a minimal cost that could easily be paid back on one night a year.
Beano likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IcHot
Rates discounted almost identically to AAA, but the membership to AARP is cheaper. British Airways discount and car rental discounts. Some restaurants give an AARP discount.

You have to do the math. I picked a random hotel in Scottsdale AZ for tonight. AARP/AAA was $244. Best available was $287. Australian membership is US$28 a year. I picked a future night in a lower priced Las Vegas hotel. $12 a night savings, plus whatever small tax savings.

Finally, it would also save you AU$21 per night at the Hilton Sydney on a random date. AU$391 versus AU$411.

You have to do the math and only you know what other discounts exist for you, but it is a minimal cost that could easily be paid back on one night a year.
is any of the reading material relevant to people outside of the US?
if not then it may be better to use a US address and tell your mate to discard the mail (especially if they have a digital me membership card)
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:30 pm
Suspended

if not then it may be better to use a US address and tell your mate to discard the mail (especially if they have a digital me membership card)
You can find out for $16 a year. If you do use a us address, go for the 5 year deal.
Beano likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Here's the table of contents for a recent issue.

Beano likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Sometimes (not normally) the rate is lower than AAA or my corporate rate. Sometimes the rate will say it includes a 2 p.m. checkout based on availability (one time I did see in Seattle where is said 2 p.m. checkout and wasn't based on availability). If it says based on availability for the 2 p.m. checkout I wouldn't book a room with the rate and depend on it since it's a pain for me to get a 2 p.m. checkout as a diamond.

I think the AARP membership is worth it though. I get my money's worth out of it just with the Dunkin and outback and Denny's discounts. I've found the AARP discount to be a lot more valuable at IHG properties and a Ramada I stay at in LA more than at Hiltons.
Beano likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Hilton and AARP discounts

I am thinking of joining AARP specifically for the Hilton discount.
is there a discount or is it enhanced benefits,?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Discount, and sometimes the rates have more lenient cancellation terms.
Beano likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.