Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Aberdeen TECA {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by kkong42
The actual opening hours are 16:00 - 21:00, seven days per week.

It is at-seat service, there is no food or drink out for self-service.
Yes I’ve just received a welcome email, exec lounge has reopened as quoted above however pool, sauna etc is now closed for refurbishment.
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:08 pm

Pool and sauna opening this weekend apparently. Any recent stays/reports - lounge arrangements still as per above?
wizla likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
No self service other than coffee machine that didn’t work when I was there. Service is slow, so slow. Drinks are the normal options beer, wine & spirits. You also get offered a plate of canapés which are nice but not substantial.
wizla and cafeamsterdam like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:29 pm

Not open during the day only in the evening. You could get access to the space but nothing there. Coffee machine is on a trolley that they pull out in the evening.
redpalmetto and wizla like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:34 pm

The lounge is currently open from 16:00 to 21:00 with food and drink service from 17:00 to 20:00.

Secure "moat and drawbridge" entrance: you need your key card to enter, then you have your room number checked by the staff at the reception.

The current menu is below - good to now see two Scottish beers (shame they can't spell Schiehallion) - previously it was Hobson's Choice of Beck's.

It's still table service, but they are very attentive and proactive with the top-ups.

The food offering is minimal - e.g. typical is two warm fishcakes or samosas, two goats cheese micro-tarts, with crisps and nuts.

Hilton Aberdeen TECA executive lounge menu.
Freetotravel likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; UA/*A
Just completed a short stay here which was terrific.

I’ll start with the EL. Love “moat and drawbridge” - that’s exactly what it was. Drinks as above and small plate of snacks - samosa, potato chips and nuts. Everything was provided by the server including soft drinks. No self service. EL itself was quiet and is lovely. The outside area is open but food and drink can’t be taken out there. Still evening only.

Other than the EL my stay far exceeded my expectations. The hotel is 4 years old but feels brand new and it’s gleaming clean. The CS was exceptional, Asian quality throughout. Pre upgraded 3 days out to exec room. Amazingly comfortable bed and super quiet. I would have loved staying here in my corporate days because there’s a good size desk which is pulled out from the wall with an office seat. If you did a Teams/Zoom nobody would know you were in a hotel room. Not a rainfall shower but very strong pressure and no bath. Large bottle Crabtree products. What was a surprise was the quality of the bath robe and slippers. The robe was more of a wrap around and incredibly soft. The slippers were like a good Conrad in Asia quality.

The health club and spa fully open. It’s on the ground floor and can be accessed by members or spa guests without going through the hotel lobby. For guests there is a separate lift near the low numbered rooms on each floor to access. It’s manned. There is a fitness studio where some sort of class was underway. Smallish gym, 2/3 people there early evening. Nice equipment and free weights. The spa area is another “wow”. Nice pool which is long enough to do some lengths. Steam, sauna, jacuzzi and full changing rooms with towels provided. It’s beautiful. A few kids but they were quiet and properly supervised. Mostly in the sauna etc on my own. Spa treatments are around Ł85/50 min. It’s also possible to book spa days and I noticed some overnight rates that include treatments. I’m tempted next time!!

Finally breakfast which is very good indeed but not (quite) blow away outstanding. I had a very substantial and delicious omelet. There were some Scottish items - Aberdeen butteries and potato scones. No raspberry croissants alas. Delicious cut fruits, Greek and fruit yoghurt, great range of hot food, cold cuts, cheese, cereal, oatmeal, granola, etc with a Hampton waffle machine. Pastries were just ok but there was some delicious spicy fruit loaf and a generous selection of coffee-shop-size muffins; tea was PG tips brand (Twinings in the room). The breakfast room and area is so spacious and quiet and the tables are far enough apart to be private with a couple of booths also available. What I noticed was that every time I went across to the buffet my table had been cleared and tidied. Really impressive.

The room rates vary a lot because of events next door. Lowest I’ve seen recently is probably just under Ł100 which represents very good value IMO.

I traveled to Aberdeen by train then 727 bus which goes from the Union Sq bus station and drops outside the front door. You can just ask the driver for “Hilton hotel” (Ł3.20 one way).

I’ll be back and for longer.
redpalmetto, wizla and DavMJ like this.

Last edited by Freetotravel; Jul 12, 2023 at 1:23 pm
Old Jul 12, 2023, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Freetotravel
Just completed a short stay here which was terrific.

I’ll start with the EL. Love “moat and drawbridge” - that’s exactly what it was. Drinks as above and small plate of snacks - samosa, potato chips and nuts. Everything was provided by the server including soft drinks. No self service. EL itself was quiet and is lovely. The outside area is open but food and drink can’t be taken out there. Still evening only.

Other than the EL my stay far exceeded my expectations. The hotel is 4 years old but feels brand new and it’s gleaming clean. The CS was exceptional, Asian quality throughout. Pre upgraded 3 days out to exec room. Amazingly comfortable bed and super quiet. I would have loved staying here in my corporate days because there’s a good size desk which is pulled out from the wall with an office seat. If you did a Teams/Zoom nobody would know you were in a hotel room. Not a rainfall shower but very strong pressure and no bath. Large bottle Crabtree products. What was a surprise was the quality of the bath robe and slippers. The robe was more of a wrap around and incredibly soft. The slippers were like a good Conrad in Asia quality.

The health club and spa fully open. It’s on the ground floor and can be accessed by members or spa guests without going through the hotel lobby. For guests there is a separate lift near the low numbered rooms on each floor to access. It’s manned. There is a fitness studio where some sort of class was underway. Smallish gym, 2/3 people there early evening. Nice equipment and free weights. The spa area is another “wow”. Nice pool which is long enough to do some lengths. Steam, sauna, jacuzzi and full changing rooms with towels provided. It’s beautiful. A few kids but they were quiet and properly supervised. Mostly in the sauna etc on my own. Spa treatments are around Ł85/50 min. It’s also possible to book spa days and I noticed some overnight rates that include treatments. I’m tempted next time!!

Finally breakfast which is very good indeed but not (quite) blow away outstanding. I had a very substantial and delicious omelet. There were some Scottish items - Aberdeen butteries and potato scones. No raspberry croissants alas. Delicious cut fruits, Greek and fruit yoghurt, great range of hot food, cold cuts, cheese, cereal, oatmeal, granola, etc with a Hampton waffle machine. Pastries were just ok but there was some delicious spicy fruit loaf and a generous selection of coffee-shop-size muffins; tea was PG tips brand (Twinings in the room). The breakfast room and area is so spacious and quiet and the tables are far enough apart to be private with a couple of booths also available. What I noticed was that every time I went across to the buffet my table had been cleared and tidied. Really impressive.

The room rates vary a lot because of events next door. Lowest I’ve seen recently is probably just under Ł100 which represents very good value IMO.

I traveled to Aberdeen by train then 727 bus which goes from the Union Sq bus station and drops outside the front door. You can just ask the driver for “Hilton hotel” (Ł3.20 one way).

I’ll be back and for longer.
Great trip report there….. after my stay at Hilton Edinburgh Carlton in a couple of week’s this will be the only Hilton in the uk I’ve not stayed so I need to tick the box.
Thanks again…. very informative.
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by wizla
Great trip report there….. after my stay at Hilton Edinburgh Carlton in a couple of week’s this will be the only Hilton in the uk I’ve not stayed so I need to tick the box.
Thanks again…. very informative.

Thankyou for the kind comment. Do you mean the “Hilton” branded Hiltons? Surely not including all the Hamptons too???
Old Jul 14, 2023, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thankyou for the kind comment. Do you mean the “Hilton” branded Hiltons? Surely not including all the Hamptons too???
Spot on ….yes only Hilton’s ( in the uk ) although I’ve stayed at many Hamptons and doubletree’s too but certainly not all of them.
And you are welcome, I always enjoy your reporting.
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:36 am

Another two stays recently, one of them for an extended period. It continues to impress me, and other than the EL selection I think it might be a perfect hotel for me. First the EL. The service is impeccable, the ambience created with lighting, low music, and a very quiet space makes it a joy to sit for a while. There were even spots with lights above the seats specifically placed for optimal reading. Really thoughtful. Some people were there playing board games or cards and while I have frequently seen the games inside an EL, I have never actually seen anyone playing one until at TECA. It is because the space is so quiet and welcoming. The food itself is fine. It's made in the kitchen not from COSTCO and a few warm nibbles are presented on a plate with potato chips and nuts. Drinks list exactly same as before and no problem getting a refill. I would take this experience hands down over one of the British ELs where people trough the food, steal the alcohol, and let their kids run around screaming. But the lounge is open only between 5 and 8pm and really there isn't much food at all.

Otherwise this hotel is faultless. Upgraded to an executive room 3 days out. Wonderful soft bath robe, nice shower with large bottle Crabtree products, very big TV, so so quiet, wall to ceiling windows, a nice chair by the window for reading, huge and very comfortable double bed. The whole hotel is spotlessly clean, it gleams. The health club is manned, and the spa area is beautiful. Everything works and the temperature is certainly hot enough!! Lobby area, restaurant, all the other public areas, immaculate.

The breakfast is great (again maybe not knock out of the park) - large hot plate selection including haggis and potato scones. Great bread and pastry selection - still no raspberry croissants - but loaf cake of different types, multiseed bagels, large muffins. a couple of types of bread. Fruit was wonderfully presented - fruit salad, pineapple, melon, cheese plate, cold cuts plate, waffle machine, yoghurt with compote. And they have what tasted like homemade granola too.

So happy with my stay and I will be back as frequently as I can.
Boraxo, hugolover, :D! and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Another two stays recently, one of them for an extended period. It continues to impress me, and other than the EL selection I think it might be a perfect hotel for me. First the EL. The service is impeccable, the ambience created with lighting, low music, and a very quiet space makes it a joy to sit for a while. There were even spots with lights above the seats specifically placed for optimal reading. Really thoughtful. Some people were there playing board games or cards and while I have frequently seen the games inside an EL, I have never actually seen anyone playing one until at TECA. It is because the space is so quiet and welcoming. The food itself is fine. It's made in the kitchen not from COSTCO and a few warm nibbles are presented on a plate with potato chips and nuts. Drinks list exactly same as before and no problem getting a refill. I would take this experience hands down over one of the British ELs where people trough the food, steal the alcohol, and let their kids run around screaming. But the lounge is open only between 5 and 8pm and really there isn't much food at all.

Otherwise this hotel is faultless. Upgraded to an executive room 3 days out. Wonderful soft bath robe, nice shower with large bottle Crabtree products, very big TV, so so quiet, wall to ceiling windows, a nice chair by the window for reading, huge and very comfortable double bed. The whole hotel is spotlessly clean, it gleams. The health club is manned, and the spa area is beautiful. Everything works and the temperature is certainly hot enough!! Lobby area, restaurant, all the other public areas, immaculate.

The breakfast is great (again maybe not knock out of the park) - large hot plate selection including haggis and potato scones. Great bread and pastry selection - still no raspberry croissants - but loaf cake of different types, multiseed bagels, large muffins. a couple of types of bread. Fruit was wonderfully presented - fruit salad, pineapple, melon, cheese plate, cold cuts plate, waffle machine, yoghurt with compote. And they have what tasted like homemade granola too.

So happy with my stay and I will be back as frequently as I can.
Appreciate your report!
I plan to do a road trip to Aberdeen in the spring and stay here purely to say I’ve stayed at every uk Hilton ( yes I know, sad isn’t it ) I will probably do this over 3 days with this hotel being the middle one……looks like I have something to look forward to!
Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by wizla
Appreciate your report!
I plan to do a road trip to Aberdeen in the spring and stay here purely to say I’ve stayed at every uk Hilton ( yes I know, sad isn’t it ) I will probably do this over 3 days with this hotel being the middle one……looks like I have something to look forward to!
Not sad at all - nice!! Will you move on to the Doubletrees after that (you've probably stayed at most of them already anyway!!)
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Not sad at all - nice!! Will you move on to the Doubletrees after that (you've probably stayed at most of them already anyway!!)
Hahaha….ive not considered it , yes I’ve stayed in many but not actually counted them…….hold that thought! 😂👍
Freetotravel likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I would take this experience hands down over one of the British ELs where people trough the food, steal the alcohol...
+1 completely agree. That type of scene is far from relaxing, and something I'd rather avoid. I was at the Waldorf Hilton in London recently and noticed that they tour the lounge offering decent offerings. I know some prefer the old set up - 'so you can make a meal of it...' - but I much prefer this approach, it was far more relaxing and allowed more people to enjoy their time there.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:36 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
My wife and I stay here regularly, sometimes for a concert, or sometimes just for a few nights away.

We pretty much get upgraded every time, which is always nice, as they usually do this days before, rather than having to wait and hope when you check in.

The Exec Lounge is an enigma and although nice in the evening, is a lost opportunity in my opinion, as it's could be the star of the hotel if it was used properly and made available during the day for a place to go to enjoy a soft drink or a tea/coffee. We were there just before Christmas and I had the opportunity to speak with a fairly senior member of the management team, who was very open and honest about the EL situation. As has been said, they have a lovely outdoor terrace, which in the summer would be a lovely spot to sit and relax but I was told that the reason no food was allowed outside was due to fears that it would attract seagulls around it, that would scavenge for food, the problem being that the hotel is on the flight path to Aberdeen airport. I'm not sure if that's the real reason but that's what I was told.

I was also told that the reason the lounge wasn't open during the day was a lack of staff but I pointed out that a lot of other lounges open during the day without staff, where guests could help themselves and they said the were considering this option.

The lounge staff are the most warm and inviting people I've ever encountered and anyone who has met the force of nature that is William would agree I'm sure.

My wife also indulges in spa treatments while we're there and rates it highly too.
wizla likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.