Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

At at crossroads, is Lifetime Diamond status worth it?

Old Feb 16, 19, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium

At this point in my life achieving lifetime status is valuable because my business travel may end in a few years. I made Marriott Lifteme Premier Platinum/Titanium (and this is not a Marriott vs. Hilton question). I have about 630 Hilton nights and 10 years of Diamond. It would obviously take me several years of focused travel staying at Hilton to get to 1,000. I would probably make it on base points a little before then. Those same nights could be spent at Marriott with whatever Titanium bonuses or benefits received. I will have 100 nights in hotels this year Any thoughts?
Old Feb 16, 19, 10:42 am

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
Given you have one (reasonably) high level LT status already i would say the value of a second one is diminished, unless you prefer certain Hilton properties to the Marriott alternatives.

Is LT Ambassador offered?
Old Feb 16, 19, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Good Question

They do not have LT Ambassador. LT Premier Platinum (which they just changed the name to Titanium) is the 75 annual night level for life. You need to stay 100 nights each year to be Ambassador level.
Old Feb 16, 19, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold/Plat - Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
When you think about life after business travel, having lifetime status in multiple programs provides more leisure travel options where you receive those top-tier benefits.
Old Feb 16, 19, 12:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by JB123 View Post
At this point in my life achieving lifetime status is valuable because my business travel may end in a few years. I made Marriott Lifteme Premier Platinum/Titanium (and this is not a Marriott vs. Hilton question). I have about 630 Hilton nights and 10 years of Diamond. It would obviously take me several years of focused travel staying at Hilton to get to 1,000. I would probably make it on base points a little before then. Those same nights could be spent at Marriott with whatever Titanium bonuses or benefits received. I will have 100 nights in hotels this year Any thoughts?
It's a hobby?

If you have the AMEX Aspire card, for the ~$500/year, you'll continue to have Diamond status at Hilton, or if you have Ascend/Surpass, spending $40K/annum is another Diamond path that doesn't require lots of BIB activity.

If you like the Hilton family of properties and their footprint works for your travel patterns, then why not? 370 nights won't take any more time since you'll be spending 100+ nights/year in some hotel in some forgotten, far away place (or not) anyway. It also gives you an excuse to be away from Chicago in the winter...

David
Old Feb 16, 19, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul View Post
Given you have one (reasonably) high level LT status already i would say the value of a second one is diminished, unless you prefer certain Hilton properties to the Marriott alternatives.
If one travels the world widely enough (and don't stay in the hugest cities), one will run into places that have a Hilton family property and no Marriott family property, places that have the opposite, and places that have neither but have hotels in other programs.

Furthermore, once one is not traveling on business, they may prefer the lower priced chain in a given location, not to always stick with one chain if that's one's higher-priced. Or one chain may have a nice hotel for a lot less hotel points than the other chain.

So I see no reason to stick with only one chain on personal travel.
Old Feb 16, 19, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LostInAmerica View Post
When you think about life after business travel, having lifetime status in multiple programs provides more leisure travel options where you receive those top-tier benefits.
I was thinking that too. That is a good point. I wish I was closer, because I could just push hard for a year or two to make it.
Old Feb 16, 19, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
It’s not like you can’t stay at a Hilton property without lifetime Diamond status. In your current travels, are there really nice Hilton properties you prefer?
Do you find that Bonvoy properties are your favorites?
After a lifetime of on the road I have both. I find Bonvoy properties to be more aspirational Thus I continue to stay at Marriott properties, partly because I often prefer them, when it’s all equal, I want the points in the Marriott column.
My advice would be to look down the road. If you think Marriott will be your go to, don’t sweat Diamond. If you think you will want to use Hilton then put your head down and garner the stays.
Old Feb 16, 19, 6:18 pm

With the caveat that I question how much we can depend on the long term existence or value of any of these programs, I have a plan if I get close.

If retirement is in your future, it would be pleasant and cheap to spend a month or two at cheaper properties in Mexico, probably on points. 30 days at a clip at very low prices in points or cash would change my perception of what is worth it.
Old Feb 16, 19, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Good thoughts

Originally Posted by Catskilltraveller View Post
Itís not like you canít stay at a Hilton property without lifetime Diamond status. In your current travels, are there really nice Hilton properties you prefer?
Do you find that Bonvoy properties are your favorites?
After a lifetime of on the road I have both. I find Bonvoy properties to be more aspirational Thus I continue to stay at Marriott properties, partly because I often prefer them, when itís all equal, I want the points in the Marriott column.
My advice would be to look down the road. If you think Marriott will be your go to, donít sweat Diamond. If you think you will want to use Hilton then put your head down and garner the stays.
i agree how you put it. My wife prefers some of the nicer Marriott properties when we go on vacation. I have stayed at some nice Hilton properties like the Waldorf in Amsterdam. I admit it is nice having the status. My problem is the closer I get to LT Diamond the harder it is too stop. If I only had 100 nights it would be easy to just stick with Marriott. I am supposed to lose Diamond status in March. I have 13 nights carried over from last year and just finished a 4 night Hilton stay. I guess I will go for Diamond this year and keep slowly moving towards lifetime.
Old Feb 16, 19, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Why not just get the Amex Aspire Card, you will have Diamond for life? Much cheaper, than 300 more nights!
Old Feb 16, 19, 8:47 pm

Probably better to have lifetime in two programs than just one.
U get a much larger choice.

Who knows if in the future if Amex will end their Hilton diamond status association.
Wouldnt really rely on that.
Old Feb 17, 19, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Great point!

Originally Posted by HawaiiO View Post
Probably better to have lifetime in two programs than just one.
U get a much larger choice.

Who knows if in the future if Amex will end their Hilton diamond status association.
Wouldnt really rely on that.
i agree with you. I also think good to get lifetime status because the qualifications can always change - but programs don’t seem to take away people grandfathered in lifetime status. I have experienced this first-first hand with United and SPG (post Marriott merger). I actually think Hilton is the only program that has improved its lifetime qualifications. It went from the worst program - by having no lifetime status to slightly better with 1,000 nights (when SPG was at 500 and Marriott was at 750). It got better when award nights now count and you can also earn it by making 2 million base points. Anyway, I like your point.

Last edited by JB123; Feb 17, 19 at 7:49 pm
Old Feb 17, 19, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
agree with you. I also think good to get lifetime status because the qualifications can always change - but programs donít seem to take away people grandfathered in lifetime status. I have experienced this first-first hand with United and SPG (post Marriott merger). I actually think Hilton is the only program that has improved its lifetime qualifications. It went from the worst program - by having no lifetime status to slightly better with 1,000 nights (when SPG was at 500 and Marriott was at 750). It got better when award nights now count and you can also earn it by making 2 million base points. Anyway, I like your point.

If you decide to keep pushing for LT Diamond with Hilton, this might be the year to use your one-time Diamond status extension.
Old Feb 18, 19, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Good idea

Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post
If you decide to keep pushing for LT Diamond with Hilton, this might be the year to use your one-time Diamond status extension.
Also, I called the Diamond Desk. The rep suggested a wait until 4/1 and get a challenge. I guess you canít get one until you actually lose Diamond.