$60 Visitor Charge

Old Feb 14, 19, 11:46 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
$60 Visitor Charge

Is it standard practice for hotels, in this case Hilton, to charge hotel guests for visitors?
Asking because I had an incident at the Doubletree In San Josť, Costa Rica where the front desk clerk told me I was not allowed a visitor without paying $60. This after I had had visitors a few times before that with no mention of a fee, and an email I received later from the front desk manager seemed to infer that it is a company wide policy to charge $60 for visitors. When I pushed Hilton Guest Assistance for clarification on this, they went silent.
Additional info: This was the 14th night within a month that I had stayed here as a Diamond. The visitor was a Costa Rican woman, actually my best friend. It was 11am, and I was checking out at 1pm. We do remote construction design, and she was coming to work with me. And lastly, she had been there as a registered visitor 3 other times during those 14 days I had been there, but the obvious difference with those visits was that she was either with her boyfriend, or another friend of ours, also a male, that we work with. This time she arrived alone.
My feeling is that this guy presumed she was a prostitute, because why else would a Costa Rican woman being visiting a gringo at a hotel?
Am I crazy? Iíd like to hear other opinions on this.

JS
jdsphoto is offline  
Old Feb 15, 19, 12:10 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: DL Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 25,997
Originally Posted by jdsphoto View Post
Is it standard practice for hotels, in this case Hilton, to charge hotel guests for visitors?
Asking because I had an incident at the Doubletree In San Josť, Costa Rica where the front desk clerk told me I was not allowed a visitor without paying $60. This after I had had visitors a few times before that with no mention of a fee, and an email I received later from the front desk manager seemed to infer that it is a company wide policy to charge $60 for visitors. When I pushed Hilton Guest Assistance for clarification on this, they went silent.
Additional info: This was the 14th night within a month that I had stayed here as a Diamond. The visitor was a Costa Rican woman, actually my best friend. It was 11am, and I was checking out at 1pm. We do remote construction design, and she was coming to work with me. And lastly, she had been there as a registered visitor 3 other times during those 14 days I had been there, but the obvious difference with those visits was that she was either with her boyfriend, or another friend of ours, also a male, that we work with. This time she arrived alone.
My feeling is that this guy presumed she was a prostitute, because why else would a Costa Rican woman being visiting a gringo at a hotel?
Am I crazy? Iíd like to hear other opinions on this.

JS
It is a hooker fee. Complain to the manager, and to corporate if the manager doesnít fix it.

In this day and age, do we really assume that every woman visiting a room is a prostitute?
jdsphoto, xmzzn123, HMPS and 4 others like this.
Jaimito Cartero is online now  
Old Feb 15, 19, 12:32 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 14,113
In certain countries and cities, in such circumstances, actually yes. You know I have a friend in a certain large South American city whose family owns a large and well known hotel. I noticed that after midnight or so, security would often question, ask for keys, or whatever many "Gringos" near the elevators going upstairs with what looked like local women. I asked her if this was not "out of order" and embarassing. She told me, "yes it is" but............before they did this, they would have half a dozen cases a year of "gringos" being drugged and robbed, and all sorts of other issues that ultimately involved law enforcement, including a death. After implementing the policy, this went down to ZERO. The tradeoff, two cases of wives or real girlfriends being treated as prostitutes..............

It is a tough one for hotels. I have also witnessed in Thailand, at even "top" hotels, local friends entering with their "gringo" boyfriends and just immediately going to the front desk and handing over their ID's.

Certain places just have these issues, and I would posit that in Costa Rica this guys story is by far the minority and the hotel instituted this to try and discourage guests from bringing new and temporary friends back to the hotel, because in theis "day and age" that is what often and regularly goes on in certain places.
Beano, Franky16, jdsphoto and 1 others like this.
hfly is offline  
Old Feb 15, 19, 9:01 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
Thank you for the responses, and what @hfly said, I believe is exactly the case here, which circles back to my original question.
Is there a $60 visitor charge company wide? The below exerpt from the Doubletree Cariari front desk manager's email to me seems to imply that, and Hilton hasn't denied it.
Actually Hilton has gone silent on this whole thing, and won't respond to my emails.

"I am very sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced regarding the charge for the visit of your friend. According to Hilton's policy all guests must be registered at the Reception for security purposes. When the name of the additional guest is not provided before or at the moment of the check-in an additional $60 fee applies."
jdsphoto is offline  
Old Feb 15, 19, 9:25 pm
  #5  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Singapore
Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold; Flying Blue Ivory
Posts: 1,423
Originally Posted by jdsphoto View Post
Thank you for the responses, and what @hfly said, I believe is exactly the case here, which circles back to my original question.
Is there a $60 visitor charge company wide? The below exerpt from the Doubletree Cariari front desk manager's email to me seems to imply that, and Hilton hasn't denied it.
Actually Hilton has gone silent on this whole thing, and won't respond to my emails.

"I am very sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced regarding the charge for the visit of your friend. According to Hilton's policy all guests must be registered at the Reception for security purposes. When the name of the additional guest is not provided before or at the moment of the check-in an additional $60 fee applies."
I wonder where that is stated in the Hilton T&Cs. This seems a made up rule and I have never seen a fee that applies for guests. That said some properties charge more in the booking for additional occupants. When you book for 1 or 2 persons the rate can be different.

1. The rule is partly true, if a 2nd person stays in the room overnight, they need to be registered for security purposes. In this case the person was coming in the morning on the day of checkout so there was no case of staying. There is no additional fee around registering additional guests after check-in. This is just something the local property made up in addition to the normal rule.

2. For a diamond member the 2nd person is always free and there is no limitation on that person is present at check in. You would book for 1 person and get the cheapest rate. People can arrive on separate days. and technically there could be a different 2nd person every day.

This is one for the diamond desk to address.

Globalist
jdsphoto likes this.
Globalist is offline  
Old Feb 15, 19, 9:26 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NUQ
Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 3,833
File a chargeback on your credit card.
HMPS likes this.
davie355 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 19, 9:32 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: DL Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 25,997
Originally Posted by jdsphoto View Post
Thank you for the responses, and what @hfly said, I believe is exactly the case here, which circles back to my original question.
Is there a $60 visitor charge company wide? The below exerpt from the Doubletree Cariari front desk manager's email to me seems to imply that, and Hilton hasn't denied it.
Actually Hilton has gone silent on this whole thing, and won't respond to my emails.

"I am very sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced regarding the charge for the visit of your friend. According to Hilton's policy all guests must be registered at the Reception for security purposes. When the name of the additional guest is not provided before or at the moment of the check-in an additional $60 fee applies."
Of course there is no such thing chainwise, for Hilton or any other major chain.

I have had many friends and relatives, who happen to be female, drop by for a visit. I have had my then girlfiend (now my wife) come to stay with me after I have checked in.

Itís also a bit sexist, are they also charging men who drop by a womanís room?

Iíd leave a scathing review on Tripadvisor.com. Itís just ridiculous to act like they are treating you.
strickerj, Franky16 and jdsphoto like this.
Jaimito Cartero is online now  
Old Feb 15, 19, 10:00 pm
  #8  
Marriott Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 3,563
And, if you decide to go back to this hotel, you could always include a female name on your reservation so that "she's" registered.

David
Franky16 and jdsphoto like this.
DELee is offline  
Old Feb 16, 19, 2:09 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 14,113
I think that you already know that this is not a chainwide rule.
hfly is offline  
Old Feb 16, 19, 12:15 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,860
Of course it is not a corporate rule. An individual property may certainly prohibit guests and may also impose a fee if it wishes.

Not uncommon in some locations for properties to simply prohibit individuals not registered onto guest room floors and for some to check room keys/ID's at a podium at the elevator bank. Those places typically don't levy a fee, but do require the guest to register and if that changes the rate, that is what it does.
Franky16 and jdsphoto like this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Feb 16, 19, 12:45 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
@hfly - Yes, of course, I knew it was not a chainwide rule, but the fact that Hilton hasn't denied it was a little disturbing to me, so was just looking for some other opinions.
The property, in trying to save face, threw the whole chain under the bus, and Hilton is letting it happen. I'm not dwelling on this one incident. I just won't go back to this property,
which is a shame because I spend two weeks each month in Costa Rica, and I like the property in general, but I knew this board was the place to get some excellent feedback.
san888 likes this.
jdsphoto is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 4:12 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MDE, BWI
Programs: AA-PLT
Posts: 1,448
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post

Of course there is no such thing chainwise, for Hilton or any other major chain.

I have had many friends and relatives, who happen to be female, drop by for a visit. I have had my then girlfiend (now my wife) come to stay with me after I have checked in.

Itís also a bit sexist, are they also charging men who drop by a womanís room?

Iíd leave a scathing review on Tripadvisor.com. Itís just ridiculous to act like they are treating you.
You say it's a bit sexist, then admit that you don't know if men and women are treated differently? I live in Colombia, where having a charge to have somebody visit the room is standard practice. I'm a man, and I've gone to visit male colleagues at their hotel and been stopped from going to their room. And, given my age and looks, I doubt they thought I was a prostitute.

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
And, if you decide to go back to this hotel, you could always include a female name on your reservation so that "she's" registered.
I can't speak for Costa Rica, but in Colombia you typically have to pay extra to have more than one person on the reservation unless it is a hotel that serves the tourist market where multiple guests in a room is the norm. Plus, If you are visiting from outside the country and you register somebody who is a citizen or a resident, you lose the VAT exemption too, and that's a big chunk of change. I'm guessing Costa Rica is similar, as I have found these policies in place in many Latin American countries to which I've traveled.
coolcoil is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 5:29 am
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
You almost certainly agreed to this charge when you checked in. It is very common in latin america. They typically have you sign a specific acknowledgment agreeing to pay.

Yes, it's ridiculous. But it is very common and usually fully disclosed.

And it has nothing to do with Hilton. It is property specific.
Kacee is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 5:47 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Posts: 9,402
Not familiar with this hotel, but have seen DTs in other parts of the world that had an Executive Lounge. Did the lady friend visit include time in such an area? Many hotels charge EL guests not registered as hotel guests at check-in (or later)

If not, and anticipating you met your visitor in the lobby, to escort her to your room, would it really have been a major obstacle to drop by the front desk to present her name, and register her to your room?
Beano likes this.
onobond is online now  
Old Feb 17, 19, 10:23 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,498
As mentioned above many hotels in certain tourists areas in Thailand will charge a "joiners fee" if you take a local girl or guy to your room.
SK AAR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread