Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Some Hiltons may require housekeeping entry after 24 hours

Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold

Sounds like you are going to be forced to allow employees in the room even dispite a do not disturb sign.

Hilton Wants Housekeepers to Serve as First Line of Defense in the War on Terror - View from the Wing
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I hadn't read that article on the subject. I did read this one

Hilton, Disney Revise ‘Do Not Disturb’ Policies to Require Employees to Enter Rooms Daily

Then I went over to one of the Disney discussion boards (DISboards) where apparently there has been quite a discussion going on since last Friday. Some of the comments there are based on outrage of parents who leave their children alone in the hotel room while they go out. Apparently others are worried about housekeeping walking in on them while they are naked. The degree of worry varies, but the outrage is quite loud.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:33 pm

Oops. That will put a ding to MR folks.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PayItForward
Oops. That will put a ding to MR folks.
Maybe Hiltons also won't book Swinger Groups like Marriott: ATL Northwest @Galleria: Guest arrested for being "non-swinger on a swinger's floor"

I leave my DND sign on throughout the stay. I just don't like people touching my stuff. I hope they just open the door, look to see if there is a dead body in there and move on.

I wonder if they will get a lot of opposition from the employees.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:32 pm

I leave mine out as well. Can't stand people moving my things and I'm a really neat person. I ask for towels and refresh them myself. I guess I'll have to ask at every stay if they will not clean my room or if maybe I can just check in with the front desk daily. Ugh.

Besides the fact that it seems like a big burden for housekeeping and they may have to deal with a lot of unhappy people or odd situations.

Reminder... Always put the security lock on your door when you are inside. I just had housekeeping walk in on me a couple of months ago, scared the crap out of me. Sign was out, but my bf had just gone to get something and the security lock wasn't on.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
. Apparently others are worried about housekeeping walking in on them while they are naked. The degree of worry varies, but the outrage is quite loud.
Why not just use the deadbolt? I've gotten myself in the habit that as soon as I go in my room I use the deadbolt and that thing that swings to keep the door shut.

When I leave my room in the morning, I put all of my things either in my suitcase (on a luggage rack) or in the closet. I don't like people moving my toiletries so I've learned to just put everything away.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I’ve edited the thread title to reflect the actual issue. The article itself IMHO gets a bit hysterical about the possibilities of this new policy.

Thanks for your understanding.

squeakr
co mod HH
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ
Reminder... Always put the security lock on your door when you are inside. I just had housekeeping walk in on me a couple of months ago, scared the crap out of me. Sign was out, but my bf had just gone to get something and the security lock wasn't on.
The concern that I have about that is that I'm not shy, but I'm also a dude. I'm afraid some housekeeping lady is going to enter and make an accusation. Never had an accusation, but I don't want an DSK like situation.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I have no idea what a DSK situation is, but I have no problem with the policy. TONS of people were hurt/killed in Las Vegas. The US does not regulate guns for the most part, so I understand why hotels do what they have to do to regulate people and limit liability.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:32 pm

I think this is a great policy.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:47 am
Original Poster

DSK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_v._Strauss-Kahn

About guns and hotels: There was one guy who was nuts and orchestrated that. You would be surprised on how many guns are in hotels on a daily basis.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Personally, I see no problems with the new policy. If I have reasons to sleep during daytime, I have the option of calling Front Desk, to say so. Speaking to people in the Hotel Business, the fear of a mass murderer setting up automatic machine guns in a non-serviced room is a microscopical threat. More common is a water leak in the bathroom, or the occasional death of a hotel guest (natural causes). Not caring for those problems early on will lead to more costly procedures.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
I think that some Hiltons have been doing this already. I had a stay at the Munich airport Hilton a few months ago. About 2 hours after checkin housekeeping entered just after I had got out of the shower. This was despite the do not disturb indicator being on and the door locked (there is no deadbolt, just an electronic lock which housekeeping can over-ride). Obviously I was hopping mad and complained. The manager, while sympathetic, said that they always check the room every 24 hours. To be fair to him, he agreed that this should not be 2 hours after checkin.

What worries me is that if this is official policy, hotels will use it to justify mistakes which are an invasion of privacy.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I have no idea what a DSK situation is, but I have no problem with the policy. TONS of people were hurt/killed in Las Vegas. The US does not regulate guns for the most part, so I understand why hotels do what they have to do to regulate people and limit liability.
The US DOES regulate guns. It's getting the criminals and those not allowed to have guns to follow the laws. But this is way off topic.

There are some that feel renting a room gets them exclusive use of that room. The fact is the property owns the room and should be allowed to do what they feel is necessary to keep it secure. A daily look-see is not unreasonable but I do feel it is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. How much longer until they draw a line between ne'er do wells and those that eat breakfast? Let's stop serving food to avoid guests that shoot guns! Let's keep it real guys. Nothing will prevent someone from doing bad if they are intent on doing bad.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by aztimm
Why not just use the deadbolt? I've gotten myself in the habit that as soon as I go in my room I use the deadbolt and that thing that swings to keep the door shut.

When I leave my room in the morning, I put all of my things either in my suitcase (on a luggage rack) or in the closet. I don't like people moving my toiletries so I've learned to just put everything away.
Despite using the deadbolt (and DND sign), I've had housekeepers walk in on me in several different Starwoods. In some places, a housekeeper or housekeeping supervisor seems to have a master key card that overrides the dead bolt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.