Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Tip jars at Hampton Inn breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy

I've had back to back stays at US Hampton Inns this year and they've both had tip jars displayed prominently in the breakfast area during breakfast time.

Seeing as I serve myself and take out all my trash, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to tip for. I think this is very tacky, and I'm curious... Does Hilton have a policy against this, or is it permitted?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I've had back to back stays at US Hampton Inns this year and they've both had tip jars displayed prominently in the breakfast area during breakfast time.

Seeing as I serve myself and take out all my trash, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to tip for. I think this is very tacky, and I'm curious... Does Hilton have a policy against this, or is it permitted?
I'm guessing it's up to the individual hotel management as to whether it's allowed or not. I see tip jars out like this at various self serve restaurants and such across the US, if I happen to pay with cash and get change back I will sometimes toss it their way, otherwise I just move on and forget about it. If the staff happen to make a few extra bucks a day then fine, but it's not like they're holding a gun to your head and forcing you to tip if you don't want to.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I but it's not like they're holding a gun to your head and forcing you to tip if you don't want to.
+1. These people are making close to minimum wage.
Often1, catcher1 and NeedstoFly like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
+1. These people are making close to minimum wage.
i understand how you feel.

We have many people not making minimum wage,

We have people making $100,000 plus a year, and living paycheck to paycheck.

Very few of them have tip jars.

I do tip for extra service, performance and production,

No tip jars, please..
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't like the tip jars. It's tacky, and tipping is something that developed economies should be trying to eradicate, not encourage.

The demand curve for hotel labor is irrelevant.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm quite confident tip envelopes are prohibited by the brand standard, so I'd imagine that tip jars would be too.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Little different from a beggar on a street corner. Trying to make a certain % of the population uncomfortable enough to throw a few coins or dollar bills their way.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I see no problem with this. Tip or don't tip. It's up to you. I've seen people at hampton's ask about extra stuff that's not out front such as fresh "eggs", additional cookies, or whatever it might be. Maybe these people tip? I don't partake in the Hampton breakfast other than to grab a coffee but I probably wouldn't tip unless I requested something special (which I wouldn't) or made a mess.
I think it's funny that this is considered "Tacky" at a Hampton Inn where I've seen people come down in their pajamas, empty the tray of bacon onto a couple plates and go back to their room, and (on multiple occasions) stick their finger in the eggs, or gravy to check the temperature.
I think a tip jar would be the least of my worries if I ate that breakfast.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Little different from a beggar on a street corner.
What a vile comment. Try living the life (with commensurate income) of these workers for a week or so. A few (completely voluntary) dollars per shift makes a real difference, especially in high-cost areas.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pdac1975
I think it's funny that this is considered "Tacky" at a Hampton Inn where I've seen people come down in their pajamas, empty the tray of bacon onto a couple plates and go back to their room, and (on multiple occasions) stick their finger in the eggs, or gravy to check the temperature.
The fact that those things are tacky doesn't somehow make tipping a better economic model. Sticking your finger in the eggs is gross, and tipping is tacky and ultimately bad for the employees in that employers will eventually use it as a tool to try to depress their own financial responsibility for acquiring the talent they need to run their business. I'll pay the market rate for my hotel room, and I expect the hotel to manage their business using that revenue, not augmented by ponying up side-bribes to get the bagels restocked.
IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld

What a vile comment. Try living the life (with commensurate income) of these workers for a week or so. A few (completely voluntary) dollars per shift makes a real difference, especially in high-cost areas.

You precisely prove my point. The goal is to make a few people guilty enough about underpaid employees so that you make up the difference instead of hotel management / ownership.

There is little to no "service" involved that would warrant a tip, simply a guilt trip...

I'd happily pay a room rate commensurate with paying a living wage to all hotel employees. Instead of another random, unnecessary hotel brand, I would gladly support a specific brand that had third-party verification of paying acceptable wages.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
I stay at about 25 different Hamptons a year, and don’t recall having seen one at any property. I would welcome them. Most of the time service at a Hampton breakfast doesn’t warrant a tip IMHO. But when it does, I would use a tip jar. And yes, as others have said, tip jars are now in far too many places. I’m quite comfortable not leaving a tip when it’s not deserved.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I saw a tip jar at a Residence Inn, but I don't recall seeing one at a Hampton.

I have had some great experiences with the Hampton breakfast ladies. If you stay at a place a lot, they almost become like Aunties. Especially in the South. They bring in homemade treats for me to try. One abuelita in California gave me one of her famous homemade Christmas tamales. Amazing.

I probably will never put money in a tip jar, but I travel with $25 gift cards to Walmart and Target, and I have no problem handing those gift cards over to my favorite breakfast ladies as my appreciation for making my day a little bit better.

That little gesture makes a huge difference in their week. I don't feel guilty ignoring a tip jar, nor do I feel I am setting a dangerous precedent by giving one of my Aunties a gift card. Chances are she will spend it on either her kids or her grandkids.
RoyalFlush, IcHot, dw and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:43 pm

If this practice bothered you enough to make a thread here at FlyerTalk, I hope that means you also took the time to speak to a manager at the hotel to express your opinion. Speaking to someone who has the authority to change a policy might actually produce the results you desire.
Zurich likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Funny you should say that. I tweeted a picture to Hilton the first time I saw it and the Twitter team responded almost immediately and offered me points (I wasn't seeking compensation).

That made me think the brand forbids it. When I saw it a second time today, I turned to FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.