Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Explain why I have 21 nights already with 0 stays (Amex Plat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:51 am
Original Poster

I have Hilton Gold status via an Amex Plat. I dont recall this last year - looking at 2019 it says I have logged 21 nights and I'm Gold. I'm not complaining, since it'll mean I easily hit Diamond this year, by only needing 39 more nights. I just thought that getting Gold via Amex mean I got Gold, but no actual Stay credit?

Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I have Hilton Gold status via an Amex Plat. I dont recall this last year - looking at 2019 it says I have logged 21 nights and I'm Gold. I'm not complaining, since it'll mean I easily hit Diamond this year, by only needing 39 more nights. I just thought that getting Gold via Amex mean I got Gold, but no actual Stay credit?

Did you have rollover nights?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:17 am

Deleted - did not at all realize that rollover worked for lower than Diamond!

Last edited by arlflyer; Feb 1, 2019 at 8:15 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:18 am
Original Poster

I'm not aware of what rollover nights are or how they work. I stayed about 27 nights last year.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Skimming through the Hilton FAQ, it definitely seems possible that rollover nights are something to do with it. During 2018 I was a natural Silver and a Gold via Amex Plat. I haven't done the math in my specific case, but rollover nights do apply to all status levels.

Hilton Honors Updates for 2018 | FAQ
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
Nights rolled over to this year related to the number of nights above your status that you achieved last year. In your example, as you were Silver with 27 nights, 17 nights would (or should anyway) have rolled over into this year. You don't need to achieve Diamond for elite night rollover.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by ocprodigy
You don't need to achieve Diamond for elite night rollover.
Wow, I somehow completely missed on that one. I thought this was only to entice people to keep staying after hitting Diamond. Corrected!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
This is interesting.

So, because OP was only gold, he got 17 nights, so his requirements for Diamond are now 43 nights.

However, as a Diamond who ended up at at 70 nights, gets 10 rollover nights, so I need 50 to maintain diamond.

or am I missing something ?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lcohen999
This is interesting.

So, because OP was only gold, he got 17 nights, so his requirements for Diamond are now 43 nights.

However, as a Diamond who ended up at at 70 nights, gets 10 rollover nights, so I need 50 to maintain diamond.

Yes, that is how the rollover nights work. See here for a more detailed explanation.
Hilton Honors Updates for 2018 | FAQ
If you stay 39 nights, then you earn Silver status and have 29 rollover nights.
If you stay 57 nights, then you earn Gold status and have 17 rollover nights.
If you stay 70 nights, then you earn Diamond status and have 10 rollover nights.

Delta Airlines has a similar rollover scheme. If you want a lot of rollover nights, then you want to stay just below the number of nights needed to qualify for the higher status.

Last edited by jbeckett; Feb 1, 2019 at 2:45 pm
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Interesting stuff. Thanks to all for the help.

My travelling is going to ramp up heavily in 2019. Currently forecast to stay around 100 nights, so I'll definitely be seeing some large rollover at the end of 2019.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat Pro, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Hit Diamond Status by July last year. Carried over 66 nights.

Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shrpchef
Hit Diamond Status by July last year. Carried over 66 nights.

I must be missing something - I thought Hilton says theres a cap of 60 rollover nights.

from the FAQ linked above:
11. How many elite rollover nights can I carry over into the next calendar year?

There is no limit; however, you'll only roll over nights in excess of those needed to earn your elite status level in a calendar year.

While there is no limit, Diamond members with 120+ nights will only see 60 rollover nights in their trackers, because only 60 rollover nights are needed to ensure you maintain your Diamond status for another year.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat Pro, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I must be missing something - I thought Hilton says theres a cap of 60 rollover nights.

from the FAQ linked above:
I could be off 6 nights but I could swear I saw 66 on January 1 and momentarily wondered where the heck they came from!!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Shrpchef
I could be off 6 nights but I could swear I saw 66 on January 1 and momentarily wondered where the heck they came from!!
It doesn't really matter. You've already earned diamond for 2020 and the extra 6 rollover nights do not benefit you in any way.
But the night tracker is less valuable now, since it is not counting the actual nights stayed this year. Actual nights is useful so that you know where you are with respect to milestone awards, status gifting, etc.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lcohen999

Yup. But you get Diamond for the entirety of this year (plus next year if you stay 50 nights), where the OP only gets it after he's stayed the 43 nights.

It does create some interesting situations though. For example, if it's late December and you're at 39 nights (1 short of gold) then traditional thinking would be to do one more night and get gold for the following year. With roll-over you're potentially better ending at 39 nights and rolling over 29. Then 11 stays into the next year you get Gold for 2 years (well, 1.5 depending on when you hit 11 stays) rather than 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.