Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Explain why I have 21 nights already with 0 stays (Amex Plat)

Explain why I have 21 nights already with 0 stays (Amex Plat)

Reply

Old Feb 2, 19, 12:13 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 666
Its a very interesting rule for everyone, who gets his status by credit card or gifted. He gets rollover nights based on a status, he didnt have last year and wont have the following year. Im Diamond, I will be Diamond and I have 21 rollover nights after 31 nights last year.

On the other hand it doesnt really matter, because most of them will get their status by cc in the next year as well. But who cancel his cc should be aware of it.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
thbe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 9:50 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: I'm From Here
Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Posts: 3,705
Originally Posted by thbe View Post
Its a very interesting rule for everyone, who gets his status by credit card or gifted. He gets rollover nights based on a status, he didnt have last year and wont have the following year. Im Diamond, I will be Diamond and I have 21 rollover nights after 31 nights last year.

On the other hand it doesnt really matter, because most of them will get their status by cc in the next year as well. But who cancel his cc should be aware of it.
Well, I can get gold from my Amex card...I wonder if doing that will reduce my diamond requirements . This seems like a loophole, I would love the Hilton lurkers thought on this
lcohen999 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:42 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Programs: HH Diamond
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
Well, I can get gold from my Amex card...I wonder if doing that will reduce my diamond requirements . This seems like a loophole, I would love the Hilton lurkers thought on this
No, it does not reduce your Diamond requirements. You need 60 nights to earn Diamond. Your credit card gives you Gold status, but zero nights credit.
jbeckett is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:57 pm
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,556
Guess once you hit Lifetime Diamond you don't see any rollover nights. Stayed about 100 nights last year but my current YTD is 1 stay 2 nights.
Baze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 4:26 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 6,581
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
Well, I can get gold from my Amex card...I wonder if doing that will reduce my diamond requirements . This seems like a loophole, I would love the Hilton lurkers thought on this
It doesn't change the requirements, but it does create some interesting situations.

For example, if you stay 40 nights every year, then you'll be gold.

But if you stay 35 nights every year, then you'll be diamond every second year (due to 25 nights rollover), and gold the alternate year (due to the credit card).

ie, staying more will actually result in lower status...
docbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 19, 2:22 am
  #21  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,514
For people who normally have far in excess of 60 nights:

Does that mean that we are effectively "double-dipping" the 10k bonus pts we earn for each 10 nights? For example, not only do we earn 10k pts at 70, 80, 90, 100 nights... etc. but the rollover to the subsequent year means that we'll earn more 10k pts tranches than we would have otherwise without the rollover? So in effect I should be thinking that we are essentially earning 20k bonus points per 10 nights after 60 nights, rather than only the regular 10k pts.

With a maximum of 60 rollover nights, that means an automatic 60k bonus points to people who stay 60+ nights because we'll end up at a minimum of 120 nights.
escape4 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 19, 11:21 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 6,581
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Does that mean that we are effectively "double-dipping" the 10k bonus pts we earn for each 10 nights?
No. Rollover points only count for the next years status, not for the bonus points.
docbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 19, 8:58 pm
  #23  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,514
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
No. Rollover points only count for the next years status, not for the bonus points.
Ok thanks - that's odd. So someone with let's say 43 rollover nights will hit the 40k bonus (which is normally after 60 nights) at 103 nights on the counter? Not exactly the most intuitive.
escape4 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 10:40 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Posts: 579
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Guess once you hit Lifetime Diamond you don't see any rollover nights. Stayed about 100 nights last year but my current YTD is 1 stay 2 nights.
Not in my case:

TSparky is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread