Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Explain why I have 21 nights already with 0 stays (Amex Plat)

Explain why I have 21 nights already with 0 stays (Amex Plat)

Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:13 am

It‘s a very interesting rule for everyone, who gets his status by credit card or gifted. He gets rollover nights based on a status, he didn’t have last year and won‘t have the following year. I‘m Diamond, I will be Diamond and I have 21 rollover nights after 31 nights last year.

On the other hand it doesn’t really matter, because most of them will get their status by cc in the next year as well. But who cancel his cc should be aware of it.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by thbe
It‘s a very interesting rule for everyone, who gets his status by credit card or gifted. He gets rollover nights based on a status, he didn’t have last year and won‘t have the following year. I‘m Diamond, I will be Diamond and I have 21 rollover nights after 31 nights last year.

On the other hand it doesn’t really matter, because most of them will get their status by cc in the next year as well. But who cancel his cc should be aware of it.
Well, I can get gold from my Amex card...I wonder if doing that will reduce my diamond requirements . This seems like a loophole, I would love the Hilton lurkers thought on this
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Well, I can get gold from my Amex card...I wonder if doing that will reduce my diamond requirements . This seems like a loophole, I would love the Hilton lurkers thought on this
No, it does not reduce your Diamond requirements. You need 60 nights to earn Diamond. Your credit card gives you Gold status, but zero nights credit.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess once you hit Lifetime Diamond you don't see any rollover nights. Stayed about 100 nights last year but my current YTD is 1 stay 2 nights.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lcohen999
It doesn't change the requirements, but it does create some interesting situations.

For example, if you stay 40 nights every year, then you'll be gold.

But if you stay 35 nights every year, then you'll be diamond every second year (due to 25 nights rollover), and gold the alternate year (due to the credit card).

ie, staying more will actually result in lower status...
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:22 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
For people who normally have far in excess of 60 nights:

Does that mean that we are effectively "double-dipping" the 10k bonus pts we earn for each 10 nights? For example, not only do we earn 10k pts at 70, 80, 90, 100 nights... etc. but the rollover to the subsequent year means that we'll earn more 10k pts tranches than we would have otherwise without the rollover? So in effect I should be thinking that we are essentially earning 20k bonus points per 10 nights after 60 nights, rather than only the regular 10k pts.

With a maximum of 60 rollover nights, that means an automatic 60k bonus points to people who stay 60+ nights because we'll end up at a minimum of 120 nights.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by escape4
Does that mean that we are effectively "double-dipping" the 10k bonus pts we earn for each 10 nights?
No. Rollover points only count for the next years status, not for the bonus points.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:58 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by docbert
No. Rollover points only count for the next years status, not for the bonus points.
Ok thanks - that's odd. So someone with let's say 43 rollover nights will hit the 40k bonus (which is normally after 60 nights) at 103 nights on the counter? Not exactly the most intuitive.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
Guess once you hit Lifetime Diamond you don't see any rollover nights. Stayed about 100 nights last year but my current YTD is 1 stay 2 nights.
Not in my case:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.