Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Unupgraded gold vs diamond breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite

Tried searching but couldn’t find anything. I was travelling with a co-worker a few weeks back and we spent the final night of our trip at the Knoxville Airport Hilton. My co-worker is Gold and wasn’t upgraded to the executive floor and received a voucher for the full breakfast buffet in the restaurant. Me, being a diamond, received lounge access. When I asked about getting a voucher for the restaurant breakfast instead of lounge access, my request was declined. I was told as a diamond, I was guaranteed lounge access and would have breakfast provided there. It was late and the lounge was already closed for the evening. What this ended up boiling down to was that as a Diamond, I received a continental breakfast whereas a Gold received the full buffet in the restaurant. I ended up eating with him in the restaurant and paid full price. I am usually a Marriott guy (lifetime Platinum Premier) but Hilton is my second choice and I will stay there when it makes more sense or can save my employer money. Is this policy typical with Hilton or was this just a one-off situation caused by a local property policy? I can’t imagine most properties give a better breakfast to Golds vs Diamonds, but I have no experience to go off of here. With Marriott Platinums (Hilton Gold in the new program) and Platinum Premiers (Hilton Diamond in the new Marriott program) both receive lounge access regardless of room type, so this isn’t an issue. As a Platinum Premier, I sometimes receive vouchers or offers to have breakfast in the restaurant in addition to lounge access, but this isn’t the norm and is property specific.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
The breakfast policy varies from hotel to hotel. Sometimes the policy is as you received - if you have access to the Executive lounge, you are required to eat there for the free breakfast. More typically, the policy is that you can eat at either the lounge or the restaurant.

There is a thread for information about breakfast for Gold and Diamond -
Gold/Diamond Breakfast at Hilton family properties (master thread)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I will point out that the Gold and Diamond benefit is breakfast for (2).
Your colleague could have asked for a second breakfast voucher.

I have found breakfast rules vary widely by hotel. Some give Diamonds the full buffet, when there is one, and Golds get just the continental.
DiverDave and united78 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
I will point out that the Gold and Diamond benefit is breakfast for (2).
Your colleague could have asked for a second breakfast voucher.
We asked about that, but they said we would have to be staying on the same reservation, which we weren’t. Was that not correct?

Thanks for the replies, good to know this isn’t the norm.
united78 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just the breaks.

If all properties stuck to what they are required to do, then there wouldn't be any confusion, but you also wouldn't be offered the restaurant voucher anywhere with a lounge.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl

We asked about that, but they said we would have to be staying on the same reservation, which we weren’t. Was that not correct?

Thanks for the replies, good to know this isn’t the norm.
I had a similar issue travelling with a colleague. I am gold and my colleague has no status. He thought he had booked a breakfast inclusive rate but he hadn't.

I asked the front desk to add my colleague to my reservation as a second person staying in the room. They were reluctant but I pointed out that I could easily do this online anyway and that regardless of having his own room he was perfectly within his rights to decide he wanted to stay in my room with me rather than in his own room if he wanted (maybe he's scared of the monster under the bed or something, IDK LOL).

In any case, they relented and gave him my second free breakfast. I think the moral of this story is to put your foot down.

This was Hilton Frankfurt Airport BTW.
B3nder likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat

But your colleagues spouse came for the trip and was entitled to a breakfast certificate.
mickeyjaw and B3nder like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
But your colleagues spouse came for the trip and was entitled to a breakfast certificate.
His colleagues spouse was staying in his room? That might cause some tension.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
His colleagues spouse was staying in his room? That might cause some tension.
Right - because she wouldn't get a breakfast certificate either.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
I've also stayed at the Hilton Knoxville Airport a couple of times - I did not realize that breakfast at the restaurant was an option? As a Diamond I've always eaten at the top floor lounge. Next time, I'll be sure to ask for a voucher instead ... let's see if they give me the same spiel as the OP. I prefer made to order eggs versus buffet style scrambled eggs that they serve in EL.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
I had a similar issue travelling with a colleague. I am gold and my colleague has no status. He thought he had booked a breakfast inclusive rate but he hadn't.

I asked the front desk to add my colleague to my reservation as a second person staying in the room. They were reluctant but I pointed out that I could easily do this online anyway and that regardless of having his own room he was perfectly within his rights to decide he wanted to stay in my room with me rather than in his own room if he wanted (maybe he's scared of the monster under the bed or something, IDK LOL).

In any case, they relented and gave him my second free breakfast. I think the moral of this story is to put your foot down.

This was Hilton Frankfurt Airport BTW.
Exactly the same thing but I have done it from the start - have added a colleague to my reservation at Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham so they could also have a free breakfast.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by miasmal
I've also stayed at the Hilton Knoxville Airport a couple of times - I did not realize that breakfast at the restaurant was an option? As a Diamond I've always eaten at the top floor lounge. Next time, I'll be sure to ask for a voucher instead ... let's see if they give me the same spiel as the OP. I prefer made to order eggs versus buffet style scrambled eggs that they serve in EL.
I read here about the Hilton Bellevue, WA giving restaurant breakfast as a Diamond alternative to the lounge, which had never been mentioned to me by clerks in the several previous stays. The next day I asked whether that was possible at check-in, where the clerk got a bit of a deer-in-the-headlights look, but grudgingly admitted that was true. The two or three times since then that I have been to the restaurant, the staff there has been quite open about it when I asked about daimond breakfast.

I learned here that another Hilton where I sometimes stay with a lounge did allow for full breakfast with co-pay in the restaurant, which I had not been told about as an option at check-in.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I have found some Hilton’s are great about the Gold and Diamond breakfast and I have found some hotels are super stingy about it. The benefit is clearly listed as breakfast for two and rooms are booked at a double occupancy rate. Just tell them there’s a second guest staying with you. I’ve had a few HGI’s give me a hard time about this too, but I almost always prevail. They don’t want you giving them a bad review when the post stay survey comes out.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What this ended up boiling down to was that as a Diamond, I received a continental breakfast whereas a Gold received the full buffet in the restaurant.
You verified this (you checked what the lounge had in the morning?) or you just assumed this? Don't most lounges have at least some hot items for breakfast (even if not necessarily the variety that the restaurant might have)? It's not called 'continental" if it has hot cooked eggs and at least one or two other hot items.
:D! likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:56 am

Perhaps if you always put down two people in your reservation you will receive coupons or access for two people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.