FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Booking award nights for a diamond member (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1953174-booking-award-nights-diamond-member.html)

gk17 Jan 27, 2019 12:32 am

Booking award nights for a diamond member

If I gift someone diamond status and use my points for the award stay will they receive diamond benefits? I will not be checking in and this is for an international property.

Thanks.

Truffles Jan 27, 2019 3:53 am

I wonder what an "International" property is?

:D! Jan 27, 2019 4:28 am

Originally Posted by gk17 (Post 30705407)
If I gift someone diamond status and use my points for the award stay will they receive diamond benefits?

If you book an award stay in someone else's name on the phone with Hilton, the hotel will see the status on the account the points came from and grant benefits accordingly.

If the person staying is diamond, but a non-diamond Honors number is on the reservation, they can ask the front desk to change it to their own Honors number. If the hotel agrees to change the number, diamond benefits will then be granted, but hotels may also refuse to do it.

George M Jan 27, 2019 8:22 am

If you gift them Diamond, and it's effective before they check in, then I don't see why they wouldn't receive the proper benefits. Also, if you add them as your additional guest when you make the reservation, it should go like clockwork. You wouldn't need to be there, and they can check in and out. They could also change the stay to credit their HH number at check in since the points are prepaid, one would think.

docbert Jan 27, 2019 11:18 am

Originally Posted by George M (Post 30706222)
Also, if you add them as your additional guest when you make the reservation, it should go like clockwork. You wouldn't need to be there, and they can check in and out.

This can depend on the country. In some countries doing this will cause issues, such as countries where the hotel needs to register all guests (eg, China), or countries where two people of the same sex or even two unrelated people staying in the same room/bed can be illegal.

Whilst it's unlikely the OP is talking about such a country, they mention it was an 'international' property, so...

George M Jan 27, 2019 11:57 am

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 30706775)
This can depend on the country. In some countries doing this will cause issues, such as countries where the hotel needs to register all guests (eg, China), or countries where two people of the same sex or even two unrelated people staying in the same room/bed can be illegal.

Whilst it's unlikely the OP is talking about such a country, they mention it was an 'international' property, so...

Thanks for the knowledge. I was not aware of this, and it certainly adds a layer of complexity. Transferring points seems like the safer play, in that case.

Baze Jan 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 30705716)
If you book an award stay in someone else's name on the phone with Hilton, the hotel will see the status on the account the points came from and grant benefits accordingly.

If the person staying is diamond, but a non-diamond Honors number is on the reservation, they can ask the front desk to change it to their own Honors number. If the hotel agrees to change the number, diamond benefits will then be granted, but hotels may also refuse to do it.

The status of the person whose points are used is irrelevant if the member is not staying. Benefits are based on status of person actually staying. Yes, I know there are many reports of people booking an award and the stayers gets the benefits. But those people are gaming the system by being on the reservation, putting the stayer as a second person, but not going and hoping the property doesn't notice they aren't there. But as you say they stayer is Diamond they should get the Diamond benefits, they just need to show their card when they check in.

gk17 Jan 27, 2019 11:20 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I wasn't more clear. This is specifically for stays in China and Hong Kong where they will most likely check passports. I definitely don't intend to game the system. Since my benefits are not passed down (like Hyatt does for award stays), then I rather be safe and gift the family member diamond status before the 31st and use my points to book the award stay for them.

Thanks everyone.

COSPILOT Jan 28, 2019 9:34 am

I'd suggest gifting the Diamond status and giving it a few days to actually show up in said person's account before booking. That said, I've had non status friends book a hotel for me using their points at hotels in locations such as Rome, and while it creates some confusion at check in, it's been a non issue.

gk17 Jan 28, 2019 9:44 am

Yep. I just submitted my request yesterday. If all goes well, I'll make the award reservation under their name.

TravelLawyer Jan 28, 2019 9:45 am

I would recommend you contact the hotel manager at the hotels and inquire. I had booked a stay in an Asia property and was able to arrange for benefits for my parents staying there booked on my points (but I also do frequently stay at that specific property, so YMMV).

pauleeepaul Jan 28, 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 30707722)
putting the stayer as a second person .

To be clear in the handful of instances I have cited over the years of friends getting Diamond benefits on award bookings I gave them- in no instance did I infer or otherwise imply i was also staying (unless i was, in a second room, different topic.) It might be a YMMV situation but i have seen it play through clean.

Baze Jan 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul (Post 30711095)
To be clear in the handful of instances I have cited over the years of friends getting Diamond benefits on award bookings I gave them- in no instance did I infer or otherwise imply i was also staying (unless i was, in a second room, different topic.) It might be a YMMV situation but i have seen it play through clean.

If you made the reservation in your name then that pretty much implies you are staying. If your name is nowhere on the reservation as you called in and made the reservation in the other persons name only then this is a moot conversation. But yes, and I even mentioned it, there have been reports that it all works out and the person gets the benefits. All I am saying is don't expect them if the Diamond member is not there.

tkelvin69 Jan 29, 2019 2:11 am

Originally Posted by gk17 (Post 30710299)
Yep. I just submitted my request yesterday. If all goes well, I'll make the award reservation under their name.

I just did this yesterday. The reservation will show the Honors number of the account where the points came from and the diamond desk told me they cannot change it to a different number but the hotel can. After making the reservation I'd suggest contacting the hotel directly and informing them the staying member is also a diamond and give them their number.

I would not have your name on the reservation as the hotel could refuse your award stay if you did not check-in as well as being in violation of the T&C.