FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Compensation letter (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1952592-compensation-letter.html)

joeanth Jan 23, 2019 11:38 am

Compensation letter

the hotel have bounced our booking to another hotel what sort of email i should write for compensation

joeanth Jan 23, 2019 11:39 am

the hotel have bounced our booking to another hotel what sort of email i should write for compensation

retiredfromhilton Jan 23, 2019 12:13 pm

Walked - Compensation

If you're a Diamond Member, call the Diamond desk and tell them about it.

Diamond members and any others can send an email to [email protected]. Keep it short, factual and low key. Walking guests is one of the very few topics on which Hilton has a checklist-style protocol they accept hotels to follow. They should:
Relocate you to a similar hotel (not necessarily a Hilton-brand) and they should prepay the room for you.

They should pay any out of pocket expenses - uber, taxi, etc.

Within a day of being walked the hotel's General Manager (or his/her delegate) should contact you with an apology.

If you are walked for the first night of a multi-night stay, you should be upgraded to the best room available for the balance of your stay. If it's a single night stay, the hotel should guarantee an upgrade to their best available room on a return visit.
If you are a Diamond member, you should be paid $200 in cash. (There is some ambiguity in the check list over whether this extends to gold members as well.)
You can ask for further compensation along the lines of a certificate for a free night or say 30,000 points Depending on the inclination of the person who deals with your complaint, they may or may not agree.

writerguyfl Jan 23, 2019 5:29 pm

What exactly do you mean by "bounced"? The information provided by retiredfromhilton is applicable if you are relocated (aka walked) to a different hotel upon arrival.

Although rarer, sometimes a hotel will contact a guest fare in advance to notify them that their reservation has been moved to a different hotel. Honestly, that what I first through of when I read the term "bounce". This situation happens for a variety of reasons, including overbooking, maintenance/renovation which requires closing a block of rooms, or the de-flagging (changing the brand) of a hotel.

joeanth Jan 23, 2019 11:44 pm

Yes, they have moved the booking to another hotel.. i need to write a letter to them asking compensation for not respecting my booking which was booked well in advance

COSPILOT Jan 24, 2019 12:45 am

Way more info needed. Where was the original hotel, new hotel and why would be a good start.

Hampton Inn in ANC proactively moved me to the Embassy once, I said thank you. No comp needed in my case as I stayed in a better hotel very close, so some context in your case would be helpful.

smmrfld Jan 24, 2019 10:55 am

Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton (Post 30691447)
If you are a Diamond member, you should be paid $200 in cash. (There is some ambiguity in the check list over whether this extends to gold members as well.)

This is no longer correct, IME. Payment is now via AMEX gift card shortly after the stay; the change was made because many properties didn’t have enough available cash.

retiredfromhilton Jan 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Detail

Originally Posted by smmrfld (Post 30695537)

This is no longer correct, IME. Payment is now via AMEX gift card shortly after the stay; the change was made because many properties didn’t have enough available cash.

The protocol continues to call for cash. But, as a matter of practicality, no one at Hilton would bat an eye, provided something else agreed to by the guest were substituted. In the case of a gift card being offered instead of cash, I can not imagine a guest receiving much response beyond 'there, there, how awful for you' if they complained - at the property or to corporate.

smmrfld Jan 25, 2019 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton (Post 30701568)
The protocol continues to call for cash.

This is also incorrect. I was shown an HH corporate document at the time (not from the property, not from the franchise manager/owner) indicating the AMEX card policy. I wanted to make sure this was the new protocol, and it was confirmed in a follow-up communique from HH corporate...again, not the property nor its manager/owner.

Segments Jan 25, 2019 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by joeanth (Post 30693526)
Yes, they have moved the booking to another hotel.. i need to write a letter to them asking compensation for not respecting my booking which was booked well in advance

When did they notify you that they moved you to another hotel? When is your reservation? What reason did they give for moving you? What is the original hotel you had booked well in advance and what hotel did they move your booking?