Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Refusal to credit adjacent, but non-overlapping, stays

Old Jan 23, 19, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (busted back down to) Silver, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium

Hi new to the Hilton forum, but long time BAEC inmate, have with a question for the more seasoned Hiltonites. Couldn't see this answered in the FAQ, and a search for overlapping stays seemed to mostly concern genuine overlapping stays, and not the helpdesk being unhelpful.

I stayed in two different Hilton properties in the same city, two nights in property A, checked out of property A on the morning of day 3 of the trip, and on the evening of day 3 checked into property B on the other side of the city for two nights.

The points from property A did not credit, and the missing stay form resulted in "We can't locate the stay" despite providing the confirmation number. When I checked the Folio from the stay, what I could see is that the Guest Name on the folio had been altered (a leading space inserted before my first name, and dashes had been put in after my first and last names) effectively making it such that the Guest name would not match, so it didn't look like I was present for the stay.

So, I emailed in with the .pdf of the folio to show evidence of the stay, yet they now say it's an overlapping stay, because I (quote) "checked out of one property and into another on the same day".

The helpdesk are insisting this stay in Hilton A overlaps with the stay in Hilton B, and is ineligible for credit, yet I was not checked into both hotels simultaneously. I'm really unhappy with their response, and feel like I'm being fobbed off.

Who's wrong? Me or Hilton?
Old Jan 23, 19, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by mjh0 View Post
Hi new to the Hilton forum, but long time BAEC inmate, have with a question for the more seasoned Hiltonites. Couldn't see this answered in the FAQ, and a search for overlapping stays seemed to mostly concern genuine overlapping stays, and not the helpdesk being unhelpful.

I stayed in two different Hilton properties in the same city, two nights in property A, checked out of property A on the morning of day 3 of the trip, and on the evening of day 3 checked into property B on the other side of the city for two nights.

The points from property A did not credit, and the missing stay form resulted in "We can't locate the stay" despite providing the confirmation number. When I checked the Folio from the stay, what I could see is that the Guest Name on the folio had been altered (a leading space inserted before my first name, and dashes had been put in after my first and last names) effectively making it such that the Guest name would not match, so it didn't look like I was present for the stay.

So, I emailed in with the .pdf of the folio to show evidence of the stay, yet they now say it's an overlapping stay, because I (quote) "checked out of one property and into another on the same day".

The helpdesk are insisting this stay in Hilton A overlaps with the stay in Hilton B, and is ineligible for credit, yet I was not checked into both hotels simultaneously. I'm really unhappy with their response, and feel like I'm being fobbed off.

Totally bogus reason for denying stay credits at both properties.

Did you get the full points (base + any applicable bonus) for both stays? Which city / properties?
Old Jan 23, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mjh0 View Post

In the US I have hotel hopped and sometimes the hotels even share a parking lot.

Hotel A - Mon-Tue
Hotel B - Tue-Wed
Hotel A - Wed-Thu

My stays, nights and points always post fine. So the information you are getting is incorrect. Perhaps try reaching out to the hotel's accounting department and see if they can fix the name on your first folio and ensure your HH number is on their. They can also request (or resubmit a request) to post the stay. Hopefully that would fix it. Essentially try to work around corporate to see if that fixes it.
Old Jan 23, 19, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
There should be zero issues (from the Honors perspective) with stay credit/points as you are describing.

Are you dealing with this totally by email or have you called them? It's very strange that your name was adjusted in the way that it was. Did you make the reservation via your Honors account? That should have kept both your name and all information as it is on your account, with zero reason for the hotel to bother touching those fields at all.
Old Jan 23, 19, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
As asked above, were both reservations made through hilton.com or were one or both through a third-party?

If both made through a hilton channel, then there should be no issue receiving credit under your scenario.
Old Jan 23, 19, 5:23 pm

I totally understand why some people prefer to use email for these types of situations. But, I think Hippster is on the right track by asking if you have called. When you call, you're more likely to get the undivided attention of the agent. And, any misunderstanding (the nice way to describe the idiotic excuse why this credit wasn't given) can be challenged in real time.
Old Jan 23, 19, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
I'll take it one step further stayed in hotel A Jan14 to Jan 17. Left 8pm (sleep in & workout without fighting for late checkout) Jan 16 and flew to Hotel B checked in at 11pm and out Jan 19th.

I paid for 6 nights (3 at each) and was credited the same automatically.
Old Jan 23, 19, 8:18 pm

Email and phone are a waste of time when you can use HH Twitter PM. Great service.
Old Jan 23, 19, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Overlapping Stay

I had an issue where I stayed in a Hilton in 2 cities back to back, but wouldnt get credit for the second night ....because their system reported check in / check out the same date due to me crossing the international date line.

First email and first call didn't work, but a follow up note to the Diamond Desk with how the date line works got the credit.

As always, keep trying when you're right.
Old Jan 24, 19, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (busted back down to) Silver, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Got to the bottom of the dashes after the name by calling Hotel A. The booking was made via the Hilton iPhone app, logged into the Honors account, so ought to have been fine. But there was a clerical error on the Hotel's part at the root of this.

They fill the Guest Name fields up with dashes when the pre-auth on the credit card used to guarantee the reservation fails. This is what happened with that reservation - over-zealous anti-fraud measures by the issuer. When I checked-in and presented the actual card and did a successful pre-auth with card-holder present, the agent ought to have removed the dashes but didn't.

This caused a name mismatch and the stay not to accrue. The hotel now says they have fixed it, and reissued a claim for the points which ought to post in 24 hours.

However, the entire experience with Honors service desk and customer care generally regarding this has been appalling and maddening. A shining example of how to wind someone up and waste their time. I've actually tried to open a complaint about how bad the Honors service desk has handled this, and they can't even handle that properly.

Email sent to the Office of the CEO. Seriously. The response has fallen that short.

Last edited by mjh0; Jan 24, 19 at 4:07 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: