Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Mistreatment of a New Diamond Member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mistreatment of a New Diamond Member

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, NZ Gold, BA Gold
I average about 45 nights a year in Hilton's across the Uk & Europe. I feel like I get treated like a King. I have had several suite upgrades however the biggest perk I value is that often I can check in at 10am and now check out the following day until 4pm.

Two years ago I decided to use my stash of points on a family vacation in the states. It was evident from the first hotel we stayed in that I was just another customer. America is a wash with diamond members due to credit card offerings and of course due to an enormous amount of cooperate travel in the states. However my recent stay at the Hilton in Helsinki, I was told I was the only Diamond member in the hotel that night. (P.s It was the 2nd of January)
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Roluke
Hi, I just became a Diamond member on January 1, 2019. So I figured I would stay at Hilton chains during my drive cross country. Incredibly, not one location acknowledged my status ( I verified that my account said Diamond). All locations charged me for premium internet. All locations did not offer snacks. I was not given one room upgrade. Incredibly at the Embassy Suites location in Destin, I politely asked why I was not given any snacks when checking in and the front desk representative said my setting probably said I don't want them. Okay, that could be a possibility. I checked my settings and they were actually set that I wanted snacks. Well, the next morning, I politely advised the front desk at check out that my settings were set for snacks and I appreciated them telling me about the settings on my account. Well, the front desk representative went haywire on me. She said it was my fault regardless of the settings. I should have called before arriving asking for snacks. It is your responsibility to let us know. We will not just hand you snacks or ask if you want them. She kept going on about how it is my issue and don't bother them. I was shocked that I was being lectured to. Rather then thank me for being a Diamond member and ask if I wanted the choice of snacks now or getting 1000 points, I was yelled at and lectured too! Incredible. I called the front desk manager and he said the front desk representative was wrong and handled it terribly. He said I would get the 1000 points and apologized. Did I get the 1000 points - No. Really, the points and snacks are not my problem, the problem is the treatment of their top tier members. I really felt it was a waste of time getting Diamond Status. I should have not wasted my time and perhaps stayed at Marriotts'. Being yelled at and dismissed by the Destin Embassy Suites really threw me for a loop. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
Incredulous! As a fellow Diamond member I cannot imagine what it must have felt like to not get any snacks! And the nerve of the employee to tell you that you cannot have their snacks...that really pushes it over the top.

I am terribly sorry to hear about your snackless Hilton property experiences. Best wishes and may Marriott hotels bring you many snack-filled stays for the rest of your 2019 travels.
nancypants and KevPNW like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
LondonElite, did you read my post? I am not all upset over the snacks. I am upset at the treatment I received at the Destin Embassy Suites. Plus, at all the other hotels, Diamond perks were not being offered. Please read my post before diminishing my comments and concerns.
In my 12+ years as a member of flyertalk and someone who lurks way more than posts, I've come to the conclusion to not expect any sympathy or empathy from the vast majority of the people on this site. Most on here will attack the person with the issues rather than blame the property. I totally understood what you meant and felt bad for you. Most on here don't and won't. Just accept that and spend much more time reading the threads that might be beneficial to you, and don't waste your time starting new threads about your issues unless it is a dire violation of some sort. You'll sleep better for this. Free advice. Don't judge your diamond status on a few hotels or rude employee. You just made the status, give it a chance.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Submonte, did you read my post? It wasn’t about the snacks. I was yelled at and blamed by the front desk. No one regardless of status should be yelled at. My point on the other hotels was that no perks were given, such as free upgraded internet. Not a big deal but interesting that being a Diamond was not acknowledged at 5 other Hilton chains! Wow, I asked for opinions and others experiences and your course of action is to be disrespectful to me.
Both my wife and I are Diamonds with Hilton, in the US, you dont really get much benefit, outside the US a lot more
I would take this up with Hilton Diamond line, the staff has no right to treat any customer that way, Diamond or not
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:22 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by fotographer
Both my wife and I are Diamonds with Hilton, in the US, you dont really get much benefit, outside the US a lot more
I would take this up with Hilton Diamond line, the staff has no right to treat any customer that way, Diamond or not
Giving feedback using the Hilton app "Tell us about your stay" results in almost immediate reaction every time I have needed to complain or compliment. For issues or even non-issues.
fotographer likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You are upset because you didn’t get ‘snacks’ at a budget brand hotel? Is this really a big deal?
Managing expectations are a funny thing
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think "Mistreatment" was an unfortunate choice of words for the thread title, and has led to some unduly harsh responses here. "Disappointing" or "poor service" would have been more appropriate descriptors of the experiences described. "Mistreatment" suggests OP was locked in a basement with no food or water
kilo likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by mikebor
In my 12+ years as a member of flyertalk and someone who lurks way more than posts, I've come to the conclusion to not expect any sympathy or empathy from the vast majority of the people on this site. Most on here will attack the person with the issues rather than blame the property. I totally understood what you meant and felt bad for you. Most on here don't and won't. Just accept that and spend much more time reading the threads that might be beneficial to you, and don't waste your time starting new threads about your issues unless it is a dire violation of some sort. You'll sleep better for this. Free advice. Don't judge your diamond status on a few hotels or rude employee. You just made the status, give it a chance.
There are posts and there are posts.

This is the latter. We are also seeing this as a filter via OP. He didn't get his snacks and he says the front desk was rude.

In all my years, I don't think I have never been yelled at by the front desk.

That is just my $0.02

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 12, 2019 at 8:43 pm Reason: remove snark
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVPG
I want to thank the people who gave good suggestions and recommendations. I am really surprised on all of the attacks on me. I was called a liar, angry, not pleasant, petty, uneducated, unwilling to answer questions and having unreasonable expectations. I did not attack anyone in my original post. I relayed an experience I had. I agree, maybe the title of my post was not the best choice but I am human. It is easy to attack someone you don't know with words. You can be as ruthless as you want because you don't know who is behind the screen at the other end. The end result of all of these unwarranted assumptions and attacks on me will cause other people to hesitate in posting their experiences and I will NEVER post anything on the Hilton Forum again. I am sure some of you will come back with snarky remarks about how happy that makes you but really, it diminishes the purpose of this forum.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I feel bad for the OP but I think he'd have gotten more sympathy if his original thread title had been less hyperbolic. When I open a "mistreatment" thread I want a little more drama than "I didn't get snacks and the employee was rude when I asked about it."

I don't expect much when staying in typical HGI, Hampton Inn, etc. But in this case it seems the hotel was stingy with the snacks and the employees who handled it didn't have good customer service skills. I stayed in a Hampton Inn in San Bernardino CA with a friend a few months ago. When we checked in, the clerk was showing us the snacks and my friend and I blurted out "cookies" and "chips" simultaneously when he asked which we wanted. We all laughed and he said "have both." There's not a lot a Hampton Inn employee can do for an "elite" guest, but a smile and an extra 50 cent snack pack went a long way.

(MTA I now see others have posted this morning about the unfortunate thread title)

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 12, 2019 at 8:44 pm Reason: remove unneccessary personal comment
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
OP, you really need to look at your receipts and see if Diamond is shown. The time to take up issues is in the moment, not later.

HH has been a cluster for a couple of months, but despite the typical US properties doing less than other countries, I've always received the waters and snacks, and about 50% of the time they mention my status. I've not once paid for internet, but again, why did you leave without disputing any of this? I understand that in a perfect world you should be fine, but you also need to speak with the front desk when things aren't.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Again another attack calling me untruthful. I said I would never post again on the Hilton forum. I never said I would not read it or defend myself by replying.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Again another attack calling me untruthful. I said I would never post again on the Hilton forum. I never said I would not read it or defend myself by replying.
OP, if you want to have a discussion here, I'd humbly suggest answering some of the clarification questions that you have been asked by members in this thread:

1) What status did you hold when you made the reservation? And what status does the receipts reflect?
2) Did you ask/challenge the desk clerks about the premium internet charges when you checked out?
3) For other hotels you stayed at that weren't the Destin ES - what brand of hotels were they? Not all Diamond benefits apply to all hotels...

etc..

NB: FT has a culture - people here tend be direct, more so than they would in face-to-face interaction. Posts that might be interpreted as "Attacks" are sometimes attacks but more often they are just pointed ways of asking questions / seeking clarification or discussion. You can get more out of FT by reading the forums, taking note of the culture and style, and learning how things go. You can also choose to ignore things if it helps.
cawhite and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks BSE.
I was Diamond when I made the reservations. Receipts indicated Diamond as well as system when I asked the front desk.
All the hotels credited the premium internet when I brought it to their attention.
I stayed at two Hampton Inns and three Home2 Suites.
Everyone was nice and friendly except the front desk at the Destin Embassy Suites.

Last edited by Roluke; Jan 10, 2019 at 1:13 pm Reason: Add in receipts
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ignore the attack posts, stick to the posts that ask questions or give suggestions. Answer the questions. Your blood pressure will appreciate it. It is too easy to get sucked into the bad posters who are only looking for a reaction, which you have done a few times. FlyerTalk, and even the Hilton forum, is a treasure trove of info, just need to wade through the swampy parts to get it.

You mention one Embassy Suites which you had a bad experience at but you say bad treatment at all the hotels across the nation, What hotels were they? Hampton Inn's? If I had to guess I would say, as others have, that the reservations were made before you gained the status so probably did not have your status associated with it. And other than the bad treatment at the Embassy Suites, you can expect very little recognition or benefits and the lower half of the scale of hotels in the Hilton Chain at USA based hotels. Don't expect them to say thank you for being Diamond and when they do say thank you. I personally don't care if they recognize my status as long as I get the proper benefits. At Hamptons my MyWay is set to points. Just about all of them give me the points and the snack.
cawhite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.