Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Mistreatment of a New Diamond Member

Mistreatment of a New Diamond Member

Closed Thread

Old Jan 9, 19, 3:40 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London
Programs: HH Diamond; BA Gold
Posts: 125
To be fair I am sympathetic to the OP. To get awarded the top tier status, stay in 5 hotels in the chain and not have one ounce of recognition from what you would have got as a non-status guest, is pretty galling. Points accrual be damned.
ConsultanSea is offline  
Old Jan 9, 19, 4:12 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Programs: HH Diamond
Posts: 2,311
I suggest that you do not expect special treatment as a Diamond in the U.S. Ask at the front desk when you check in for any benefit that you would like (in this case, your snacks). You can ask for an upgraded room but should not expect to receive it. You should not expect that anyone will be especially nice to you because you are Diamond. Yes, this is disappointing but that's how it is.

You should expect a free continental breakfast (and often will receive a full breakfast).

You should also expect premium internet as a Diamond benefit. It seems odd that you had to pay every time. This should be removed from your bill if you point it out at check out. It makes me wonder whether you are in the system as Diamond - did you ever ask at any hotel if they see your status as Diamond?

From your initial description, it sounds like the front desk clerk was having a bad day. I would just write it off - probably she would have been mad even if you had not asked for anything.

As others have noted, your Diamond status is much more valuable outside of the U.S. with respect to perks, and sometimes hotel employees will treat you especially nice.

Last edited by jbeckett; Jan 9, 19 at 4:21 pm
jbeckett is offline  
Old Jan 9, 19, 4:13 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Anywhere but home
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL 1MM/SM, HH Gold, AClub Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Posts: 4,166
Room upgrades are offered to only the upper tier of Hilton family hotels (WA, Conrad, Hilton, Curio, DoubleTree, Tapestry, and Canopy). However, a room upgrade is to a "preferred room", which can be something as simple as a higher floor or better view. You shouldn't have been charged for premium internet, but that should be easily and quickly resolved at check-out.
FlytheTail is offline  
Old Jan 9, 19, 5:36 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Deep In The Heart of Northeast Texas Ski Country
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 99
Talking

Originally Posted by Roluke View Post
LondonElite, did you read my post? I am not all upset over the snacks. I am upset at the treatment I received at the Destin Embassy Suites. Plus, at all the other hotels, Diamond perks were not being offered. Please read my post before diminishing my comments and concerns.
Not upset about the snacks? I find that hard to believe since you mentioned the word "snack" or "snacks" eight times in your original post. Also, if you received bad treatment at other hotels how come those were not named and more details provided.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 12, 19 at 8:38 pm Reason: remove snarky personal comment
hotelboy is online now  
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:06 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Programs: Alaska MVG 75K
Posts: 2
Wow, I can't believe some of the negative responses given to the OP. It looks like he was just relaying an experience he had. hotelboy your comment was totally rude and obnoxious.
RobSarasota is offline  
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:12 pm
  #21  
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: BNE
Programs: QF WP, VS Gold, IHG RA, A Club Plat.
Posts: 2,016
Originally Posted by Roluke View Post
Submonte, did you read my post?

The poor punctuation makes that an almost impossible task! I note you have not acknowledged or responded to a key point made:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30633572-post6.html

I suspect you are new to Hilton full stop, have not done any research, made bookings before status changed then had expectations that were not commensurate with reality.

kilo and Coathanger like this.
markis10 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:29 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,391
You categorize a dollar or two of missing snacks as “mistreatment”? Clearly you must not travel much...I feel for you when you experience something truly bad. And yes, I read your whole OP...you seem to be fixated on the snacks. Stuff happens when you travel. Move on.
smmrfld is offline  
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:30 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Programs: Alaska MVG 75K
Posts: 2
Wow, I can't believe the negative remarks continue. Markis10 continued the negativity. I sent roluke a private message apologizing for all these terrible remarks. I learned a valuable lesson, never post a question or a experience on this forum.
RobSarasota is offline  
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:44 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,980
Originally Posted by markis10 View Post


The poor punctuation makes that an almost impossible task! I note you have not acknowledged or responded to a key point made:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30633572-post6.html

I suspect you are new to Hilton full stop, have not done any research, made bookings before status changed then had expectations that were not commensurate with reality.

Criticizing punctuation is beside the point, but OPís post was as well written as most. Like him, I have not noticed any better treatment as Diamond than as Gold.
Tizzette is offline  
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:20 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: 24011
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 54
I suspect when you booked the rooms you weren't a Diamond. After you got the credit card, and became a Diamond, the rooms won't automatically reflect that. When you book as a Diamond, generally speaking, you will be treated fine, or even better than fine. Trust me, the snacks are nothing special.

Last edited by jtc246; Jan 10, 19 at 4:26 pm
jtc246 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 19, 10:13 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 96
Sorry to hear about your experience. If you are expecting at least something and get nothing, that is most definitely disappointing.

On my 7th stay of the new year already (I want to go home!) and every single property has acknowledged my Diamond status, some multiple times. A Doubletree a few days ago even had a full tin of cookies in my room with a personalized welcome letter. A few HGI's give diamonds free pantry items/credit. One gives fortune cookies that can include free drinks at the bar all the up to a comped room night. I wish that one would comp parking instead haha. Those "perks/touches" are definitely not the rule as they are not defined in the Honors program at all. Do I get room upgrades? I mainly stay at Garden Inn's and my upgrade rate to their suite is probably 20%. I never ask for an upgrade anywhere as it's not my thing personally.

Some questions for you to understand this better:
1) Hilton has several wifi systems around. The old one has multiple options and might ask for your Honors account number/password/room number. The new one just asks for last name and room number. Either way if you are a diamond it should say "complementary premium internet" after authenticating and before you hit the final connect button. Did you see this or use another method?
2) When you checked out on your receipt it should have your Honors number listed and tier level right next to it. What are you seeing on your receipts? That is what the hotel has for your status during the stay.
eefor jfp and ConsultanSea like this.
Hippster is offline  
Old Jan 9, 19, 11:06 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,279
Originally Posted by Roluke View Post
LondonElite, did you read my post? I am not all upset over the snacks. I am upset at the treatment I received at the Destin Embassy Suites. Plus, at all the other hotels, Diamond perks were not being offered. Please read my post before diminishing my comments and concerns.
Yes, I read your post. Twice. Your main theme (despite your disclaimer at the end) is about not getting snacks and the associated settings on your profile. You devote so much time to writing about 'snacks' that a reader is left with the impression that this was your main complaint. As others have said, your profile probably didn't update the reservations made before you became a Diamond member. As for acknowledgment, this is always hit and miss, with all chains, and most people can do without the sycophantic gesture. I suspect the upgrade issue would also have been addressed had your status been properly reflected prior to your stay (ie booking made before status) but then I'm not sure all properties give upgrades. I have actually stayed at the Destin property you mentioned. This was several years ago when I was Diamond as well. The beach is lovely but I would not race back to the hotel. It is a resort property where all (most?) rooms are identical two queens with two bunk beds designed for families. The rooms all have a light mouldy smell and (at least then) could have done with a serious refurbishment. Other than view, I'm not sure what would constitute an upgrade.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jan 9, 19, 11:19 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: COS
Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 2,623
Much like airlines, hotels are full and upgrades in the US arenít as frequent. I was going to ask what shows up on your receipt but someone else did.

Hang in, HH is not all bad.
strickerj and Roluke like this.
COSPILOT is online now  
Old Jan 9, 19, 11:22 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 6,770
Originally Posted by Roluke View Post
Hi, I just became a Diamond member on January 1, 2019.
How did you do that? I can't think of a single way to become a Diamond on Jan 1st...

(Potentially a stay a few days before that credited on the 1st I suppose, but I'm guessing that's not the case)
docbert is offline  
Old Jan 10, 19, 12:56 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Posts: 642
Originally Posted by Hippster View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience. If you are expecting at least something and get nothing, that is most definitely disappointing.

On my 7th stay of the new year already (I want to go home!) and every single property has acknowledged my Diamond status, some multiple times. A Doubletree a few days ago even had a full tin of cookies in my room with a personalized welcome letter. A few HGI's give diamonds free pantry items/credit. One gives fortune cookies that can include free drinks at the bar all the up to a comped room night. I wish that one would comp parking instead haha. Those "perks/touches" are definitely not the rule as they are not defined in the Honors program at all. Do I get room upgrades? I mainly stay at Garden Inn's and my upgrade rate to their suite is probably 20%. I never ask for an upgrade anywhere as it's not my thing personally.

Some questions for you to understand this better:
1) Hilton has several wifi systems around. The old one has multiple options and might ask for your Honors account number/password/room number. The new one just asks for last name and room number. Either way if you are a diamond it should say "complementary premium internet" after authenticating and before you hit the final connect button. Did you see this or use another method?
2) When you checked out on your receipt it should have your Honors number listed and tier level right next to it. What are you seeing on your receipts? That is what the hotel has for your status during the stay.
Welcome to diamond, roluke. Sounds like you worked hard, were loyal and made conscious decisions to get to diamond status, and found it completely underwhelming. Well, at least you've now got the idea. Hippster, and others, have given you some level-headed advice towards making the most of your status. Set your expectations quite a bit lower, and you won't be disappointed so much, and you'll enjoy the surprising perk or gracious employee now and then.

Get to know the different brands, and what they can offer, look at My Benefits on the website for guidance. This will help you decide where to stay, and to understand whether and what kind of upgrades may be had. As has been noted, many properties don't have many room types and an upgrade may be just a higher floor. Have fun!
daloosh is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread