Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Hilton Honors status update

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I am truly exhausted at the insistence of some FTers responding "get the credit card" to just about any query, without any apparent effort to understand the context of the thread or the OP's situation. Not everyone lives in the US or wants 10 cards in their wallet (or drawer).

If I had the time, I would then cross-reference those "get the credit card" posters with "I never get upgraded" or "lounge too full / closed / lousy" posts as it's quite obvious that Hilton is happy to give away its top elite status, which means that US hotels are swamped with elites and by most accounts far stingier with elite benefits than Asian or European hotels - surprise surprise....

Here, Here! My sentiments exactly
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I am truly exhausted at the insistence of some FTers responding "get the credit card" to just about any query, without any apparent effort to understand the context of the thread or the OP's situation. Not everyone lives in the US or wants 10 cards in their wallet (or drawer).

If I had the time, I would then cross-reference those "get the credit card" posters with "I never get upgraded" or "lounge too full / closed / lousy" posts as it's quite obvious that Hilton is happy to give away its top elite status, which means that US hotels are swamped with elites and by most accounts far stingier with elite benefits than Asian or European hotels - surprise surprise....
This is one of the reasons I believe upper tier status, or even mid tier status, should be earned by actual loyalty instead of "purchased." In the long run it is the loyalty of people who will generate the revenue to keep properties and hotel companies profitable. The small amount of revenue generated by credit card elite status will not keep hotel doors open. This applies to the airlines as well. And yes, I could get the Aspire card but I choose not to. I don't want it, I don't need it, it's not worth it. The 150+ nights I stay at Hilton properties annually is more than adequate in generating the points I need for award stays.
florens and wizla like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
This is one of the reasons I believe upper tier status, or even mid tier status, should be earned by actual loyalty instead of "purchased." In the long run it is the loyalty of people who will generate the revenue to keep properties and hotel companies profitable. The small amount of revenue generated by credit card elite status will not keep hotel doors open. This applies to the airlines as well. And yes, I could get the Aspire card but I choose not to. I don't want it, I don't need it, it's not worth it. The 150+ nights I stay at Hilton properties annually is more than adequate in generating the points I need for award stays.
What if airlines and hotels are actually making more money from their credit cards / loyalty programs than from flying or hotels? The business is changing and we must adapt as well.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
The 150+ nights I stay at Hilton properties annually is more than adequate in generating the points I need for award stays.
Well, you didn't mention that before, and you implied it would be "harder work" to continue to get Diamond the normal way for you. If you're going to continue to do 150+ nights at Hilton annually for the next 3 years anyway, that sounds like an easy to get to lifetime Diamond, not "harder work", and thus it sounds like whether you have Diamond through 2020 or not nothing changes for you.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
What if airlines and hotels are actually making more money from their credit cards / loyalty programs than from flying or hotels? The business is changing and we must adapt as well.
If that were the case then I would say that the status attained from credit card loyalty would certainly be beneficial to the issuing bank and subsequently the holder of the card. However, I sincerely doubt that revenues from a credit card would exceed $20,000-$30,000. Keep in mind that only a small portion of what is charged by the holder of a card is revenue for the bank. Annual membership, interest accrued and the charge surcharge count as revenue. If the average revenue is indeed this amount, or even half this, then that is a lot of spending per person. I am still not a fan of this, even though I have taken advantage of this in the past.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, you didn't mention that before, and you implied it would be "harder work" to continue to get Diamond the normal way for you. If you're going to continue to do 150+ nights at Hilton annually for the next 3 years anyway, that sounds like an easy to get to lifetime Diamond, not "harder work", and thus it sounds like whether you have Diamond through 2020 or not nothing changes for you.
Actually I did not say this at all. What I said below my current status image was "It appears that I don't have to work as hard to attain 2020 Diamond status as I had initially thought. " My point is that I have already attained Diamond status for 2020 so if I don't stay a single night this year at a Hilton property I have Diamond status for next year.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, A3 Gold (*G)
Mine has not updated yet
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by felizdenovo
Mine has not updated yet
Mine neither. Not sure what there is to "calculate" that takes so long. I guess nothing should be surprising nowadays with Hilton IT.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by ECR
I'm jealous of those in the USA. I would love to be able to access a card with such great benefits and Hilton Diamond status without having to worry about whether I reached 30 stays/60 nights or not.
Don't be. Since Hilton are now effectively giving Diamond status away, there is very little benefit to US based Diamonds. Really.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by timfountain
Don't be. Since Hilton are now effectively giving Diamond status away, there is very little benefit to US based Diamonds. Really.
If your only concern is upgrades, sure. But the free breakfast tastes the same no matter how many other people also get it for free. The extra points also spend just the same too.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:36 pm
Suspended

I only want diamond to go to Europe and drink your milkshake like Daniel Day Lewis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.