Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hotel removed my personal stuff before I check out!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

This morning I had one of the most unpleasant experiences for a long time in a Hampton Inn hotel. I went out at around 10 am, and requested a late check out at 1 PM. When I came back at 11:30 AM, I surprisingly found that my room door was open, and all my personal stuff were already removed! I’m currently discussing with the front desk for a solution, but will it help if I also call the Diamond desk? What kind of compensation should I ask for?

Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:17 am

"What kind of compensation should I ask for? "

Lordy....

Only you can determine if, and if so how, you were impacted. You say you asked for late checkout.. was it granted? In any event, even if it was a misunderstanding, you should give them the opportunity for service recovery before you start trolling for how to maximize your opportunity to squeeze them.
Gaza, Gnopps, lincolnjkc and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Yes, the late check out was granted by the front desk during the breakfast time, before I left the hotel.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Yes, the late check out was granted by the front desk during the breakfast time, before I left the hotel.
Ok, so what did management say when you complained when you came back?
Takubon and ChinaShrek like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Is anything missing or damaged? If not, there is no compensation due. Perhaps a small customer service gesture.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Ok, so what did management say when you complained when you came back?
When is "official" check out time here: 11 AM or Noon?

If official check out time is Noon and they emptied your room at 11:30 AM, then this isn't even about your late check out request but it is about emptying your room before the advertised check out time.

Clearly front desk did not communicate with housekeeping your late check out request. In a small Hampton Inn, it isn't that hard to communicate but evidently it was hard for this location for some reason. In the future you may want to find housekeeping on your floor and advise them yourself of your late check out. I know you shouldn't have to do this, but at the same time, do you want the hotel doing something like this again?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had this happen to me at a Crowne Plaza once. Turned out that the housekeeper assigned to my room didn't realize I was a two-night guest, assuming that I had left all my stuff behind and vacated the room for good. So, it turned out that she had packed up all of my stuff and left it in the housekeeper's office downstairs.

The hotel staff were horrified, completely sympathizing with my shock at opening the door to a vacant room. I was later sent a large bag of chocolates, along with a bottle of wine. I believe there were also some points involved. I did not ask them to give me any sort of compensation.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: American Ex Plat, Avis Presidents, Hertz - Preidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
If no damage is done, a simple I am sorry should be good enough ..... It sounds like an honest mistake was made ...... just my humble opinion .....
Gnopps likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
...What kind of compensation should I ask for? ...
Oy vey.

Originally Posted by travelingbob
If no damage is done, a simple I am sorry should be good enough ..... It sounds like an honest mistake was made ...... just my humble opinion .....
This.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:39 pm

What kind of compensation should I ask for?
None, if it was an honest mistake. Stuff happens when you travel. Let it go and move on.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
What kind of compensation should I ask for?
NONE
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm going against the trend here.

It's totally not acceptable for the property to pull a guest's belonging out of a room before scheduled check-out. I wouldn't so much be concerned with compensation, but an acknowledgment by management that a serious error was made.
username, Happy, bbbb and 27 others like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee

It's totally not acceptable for the property to pull a guest's belonging out of a room before scheduled check-out. I wouldn't so much be concerned with compensation, but an acknowledgment by management that a serious error was made.
You're not going against the trend at all. I think almost everyone here believes an apology is appropriate.
loomis, Gnopps, ajeleonard and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee

That why OP was asked when normal checkout time is, 11 or 12. Could make a difference as they returned at 11:30.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:35 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
It's one thing if everything was already packed and in suitcases/bags, and they just wheeled them out. If they shoved stuff into his bags and did all of the clumsy packing themselves, I would be pissed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.