Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hotel removed my personal stuff before I check out!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel removed my personal stuff before I check out!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Zelucifer
It boggles my mind how high some people believe the bar should be for compensation.
Exactly. How high should the "bar" of payment be for services not received? What if OP had instead checked in at 1am for a 1 night stay and their stuff was all messed with, packed up, and moved out 10 hours later, before their agreed upon checkout time and when OP was not present? You think the hotel is due a full night's rate when it was not delivered? If not, then why would a multiday stay make it any more acceptable?

It's all about perspective. Yes people will make mistakes and it's acceptable and expected. You can't eliminate all human error. Correcting and paying for those mistakes are part of the cost of doing business and should be factored in to how rigorous the business is on spending to implement procedures to keep the number of mistakes at an acceptable level. The customer should not be the one paying for the mistakes.
htb and GoodFastOrCheap like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reading this entire thread in one go, I come to two conclusions.
Never expect a lot of sympathy when making a service complaint on an FT brand forum. Most readers of these fora are fairly invested in the brand and have a tendency to defend the brand (this
​​​dynamic pertains across most if not all FT fora)
More interesting, per post #7 , stay in Crowne Plaza instead of Hampton Inn.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:49 am
Suspended

It boggles my mind how high some people believe the bar should be for compensation.
Are you forgetting that Hampton has its Satisfaction Guarantee, if you arent happy let us know and we will take care of you. Now true a person might say finding someones else single hair on the carpet grosses them out hoping to get the night comped. I wouldnt be a happy camper if a hotel employee went into my room packed up my stuff and cleared me out of said room when I had a late checkout, especially if my things were simply dumped into my bag.

I wouldnt be as mad if I already packed everything up and basically all they did was remove said bag (although theres no reason to have done so), thats as long as whatever I was planning to do in the room upon my return can still be done in another room eg take a shower. But if Im denied another room to do as I planned upon returning then a comped night is in order. If some items were thrown away then the hotel should replace them

I believe the bar is different for each person and depends on what took place., eg it wouldnt bother me 1 bit if an employee opened my door as I was fully dressed sitting and working at the desk, it shouldnt happen but Id inform the FD and move on, to a single woman its probably not so simple, yea she should have dead bolted the door, but that doesnt take away from the fact that the employee entered w/o knocking and waiting to see if theres a response, which had they they wouldnt have opened the door
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
It's particularly funny given that this is the same site that has one or more 100-page threads discussing pre-departure beverages not being served.

Last month, people here were beating up on a guy who complained that his room's bed was dirty when he checked in at 1:00 am. Crazy.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
This happened to me. Housekeeping threw out (or kept) all of my stuff while I was out in the middle of a day in the middle of a stay. Worse, the hotel re-sold my room and I became left without a room due to an oversale. So I was walked as a Diamond to another hotel in town!!

Long story short, I got cash from the hotel, a check from Hilton, my whole trip comp'd, and a boatload of HHonors points.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mapleg
This is exactly why I put the do not disturb sign/light on whenever I leave the room in the AM if I have not checked out.
I am often still in the room working with a DND sign out and that has NEVER stopped housekeeping from knocking or entering the room the morning of checkout. At good hotels it only happens once, at bad hotels I have to shoo them away repeatedly...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I am often still in the room working with a DND sign out and that has NEVER stopped housekeeping from knocking or entering the room the morning of checkout. At good hotels it only happens once, at bad hotels I have to shoo them away repeatedly...
Hmmm...most of my hotel stays these days are in Asia and they never, ever come in when that sign is on the door.
htb likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by craz
Are you forgetting that Hampton has its Satisfaction Guarantee, if you arent happy let us know and we will take care of you. Now true a person might say finding someones else single hair on the carpet grosses them out hoping to get the night comped. I wouldnt be a happy camper if a hotel employee went into my room packed up my stuff and cleared me out of said room when I had a late checkout, especially if my things were simply dumped into my bag.
I haven't forgotten the guarantee, but a number of the early comments were "forget it".
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I can’t believe how many people think this is no big deal. I would be livid if someone touched packed my things. What difference does it make if it was a mistake?
The hotel needs to make it up to the OP. I would expect a night’s comp and nothing less.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
It's one thing if everything was already packed and in suitcases/bags, and they just wheeled them out. If they shoved stuff into his bags and did all of the clumsy packing themselves, I would be pissed.
Yeah, I agree.

And what's with this idea that someone might just leave ALL of their stuff in their room and check out and leave, and that's why housekeeping packed up their stuff? Forgetting some stuff -- MAYBE even a closet of clothes -- ok, sure, I can see how that might happen. But I can't fathom anyone leaving without their suitcase, laptop bag, etc.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by awayIgo
I was at a hotel and I had late check out. The hotel's ( not Hilton) hospitality manager knows me. I had packed and left my suitcases in the closest, but had a bunch of personal items in the bathroom.

I came back to find the room totally made up. My suitcase was STILL in the closet ( sloppy housekeeping) and my personal items had all been tossed. The hotel replaced the missing items, apologized and the world didn't end. People make mistakes.
So this hotel's policy is to discard items left behind, as opposed to turning them in to lost and found? That sounds like a problem in and of itself.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ikwia
So this hotel's policy is to discard items left behind, as opposed to turning them in to lost and found? That sounds like a problem in and of itself.
Really! And “people make mistakes” ?? I hope that housekeeper was fired. Honestly, If I returned to my room to find my things had been thrown out I would call the police.
GoodFastOrCheap likes this.

Last edited by chavala; Jan 2, 2019 at 12:33 am
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by chavala

Really! And “people make mistakes” ?? I hope that housekeeper was fired. Honestly, If I returned to my room to find my things had been thrown out I would clal the police.
Fired ?
This maid’s wage is probably still at poverty level even while working full-time.

Your suggestion would have significant consequences on her entire families welfare.

I suppose the only reassuring thing about so many posts similar to this is that its great to know so many people here hold themselves to the same high standard they expect of this maid and would quit their jobs IF they were to ever make a mistake.

Last edited by arcticflier; Jan 1, 2019 at 11:42 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton (Diamond), Hyatt (Platinum)
100% agree the hotel should initiate service recovery, preferably by providing a significant rate decrease or analogous recompense (such as a free night cert.) OP should open a guest assistance file w/ the desk immediately and seek what he/she is owed for the serious invasion of privacy.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD

On FT it seems to get higher when they are not personally involved.
htb and joe_miami like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.