Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hotel removed my personal stuff before I check out!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel removed my personal stuff before I check out!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Part of the problem is that many in the USA do not care to take the time to pursue something if it requires anything out of the ordinary, especially if it requires extra effort. Clearly this isn't ubiquitous, but it is becoming an ever more pervasive problem in my experience. For someone raised to always go the extra mile to help someone, it does tend to grate on me though.Simple solution for the maid: call the front desk and confirm that the person is supposed to be checked out...in the long run, certainly easier than packing all the stuff up and lugging it to the housekeeping room.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even if the front desk didn't communicate the late checkout to housekeeping, it's still the hotel's fault. Moreover, the standard seems to be that housekeeping allows about a half hour beyond checkout time before making assumptions. If housekeeping sees someone's stuff in the room, the hotel should do a lot to ascertain whether the room accupants have indeed abandoned their belongings in the room before doing anything. After all, if it's someone who is missing checkout time by a lot, the hotel's recourse is to charge rack rate for the additional night, on the credit card which was already preauthorized, so it's not like the hotel is making out badly in such circumstances.
Dont disagree with you. thats even if the OP only got there at say 2pm. Their things shouldnt have been touched, since the OP got back there way before their late checkout time been left alone and the FD notified. Worse comes to worse the hotel could have charged for a very late checkout. But thats not what happened since the OP got back there way before their late checkout time

As others have said the OP at a max can ask for the room to be comped as per the Hampton Guarantee, or many times I ask that the amount of pts needed for a free night there be added to my acct, especially if someone else is paying for the room, otherwise I end without being compensated. If it was super cheap rate and it takes a boat load of points for a free night hotels lately arent willing to ante up the pts or the full amount, so Ive come back when Im paying OK next time here on my dime the hotel covers it

Now if Im a reg guest there and my things were all packed away by me then Id probably not press too hard for anything except say I was hoping to shower up then to be given a clean room to do so
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I once came back to my room to find the door open. Not happy. Nothing was missing. Closed the door an went to get some ice but then could not open the door with my key card. Went to the front desk, the guy said my reservation ended that day which was wrong. He tried to fix things but could not. He apologized, got my card to work, and asked me to talk to the mgr in the AM. In the morning I got things cleared up which also resulted in a comped night.

As for the OP's situation. Obviously a communication breakdown. I too would mad about housekeeping packing my stuff up. I would not be asking for compensation. However, in addition to an apology I would be expecting the hotel to make a gesture of good will. What that gesture would be could anything. It really does not matter what the gesture is, other than one be made.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Part of the problem is that many in the USA do not care to take the time to pursue something if it requires anything out of the ordinary, especially if it requires extra effort. Clearly this isn't ubiquitous, but it is becoming an ever more pervasive problem in my experience. For someone raised to always go the extra mile to help someone, it does tend to grate on me though.Simple solution for the maid: call the front desk and confirm that the person is supposed to be checked out...in the long run, certainly easier than packing all the stuff up and lugging it to the housekeeping room.
Interesting, most Americans I read about seem to cry victim and extreme mental anguish & suffering over the smallest of things and won’t quit their tantrums until they are pacified with people being fired, senior management dropping prostate and begging forgiveness (all on twitter or facebook) and, ofcourse, some type of payout.

OP, so they moved your belongings. Big deal. Simple misunderstanding. Nobody was injured. Move on.
smmrfld and Snickerdoodle like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
It's one thing if everything was already packed and in suitcases/bags, and they just wheeled them out. If they shoved stuff into his bags and did all of the clumsy packing themselves, I would be pissed.
The only thing that would piss me off more than having housekeeping pack up my belongings (and probably misplace something or at least have everything in the wrong place for airport security, etc.) would be for management to reply along the same lines of half the posters in this thread. i.e. "get over it snowflake".

Free night minimum using Hampton guarantee...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
This seems weird to me. Like.. if they're sort of pushing a guest out of a room, with their stuff all over a room, and the guest isn't there... wouldn't Step #1 be to call them? "Dear sir, it is past check out time but you have not vacated your room." and then the situation would be immediately resolved.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I would have a huge problem with someone touching and packing up my belongings. I'm not saying that that the OP should request comp lifetime stays, but I don't think this incident should just be chalked up to a "shrug" .

Talk to management. If you aren't satisfied, Diamond Desk.

Please report back to let us know what happened.
​​
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HonoraryOrange
This seems weird to me. Like.. if they're sort of pushing a guest out of a room, with their stuff all over a room, and the guest isn't there... wouldn't Step #1 be to call them? "Dear sir, it is past check out time but you have not vacated your room." and then the situation would be immediately resolved.
That was the policy back when I worked in hotels. Call up the room, ask 'em if they're a stayover. If you can't reach them and the stuff is still there, just extend the stay another night--you have their credit card #, after all. There's really never any reason to pack up someone's stuff, unless they died or something. This is a fairly major screwup on the part of the hotel, and I do think the Hampton guarantee should be invoked to the tune of one free night.

Along these lines, I was staying at Extended Stay Americas for a while several years ago. They were constantly calling the room to confirm your checkout. One property called me two times the night before checkout, and two times the next morning. At that point I just chewed them out good--it wasn't even checkout time!
muji and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:05 am

outright discardation

Originally Posted by awayIgo
my personal items had all been tossed
Not even to lost & found??
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by arcticflier

Interesting, most Americans I read about seem to cry victim and extreme mental anguish & suffering over the smallest of things and won’t quit their tantrums until they are pacified with people being fired, senior management dropping prostate and begging forgiveness (all on twitter or facebook) and, ofcourse, some type of payout.

OP, so they moved your belongings. Big deal. Simple misunderstanding. Nobody was injured. Move on.
Dropping one's prostate would seem to be rather extreme, wouldn't you say?
1P, Diplomatico, Jeannietx and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
I would have a huge problem with someone touching and packing up my belongings. I'm not saying that that the OP should request comp lifetime stays, but I don't think this incident should just be chalked up to a "shrug" .

Talk to management. If you aren't satisfied, Diamond Desk.

Please report back to let us know what happened.
​​
Save the diamond desk for more serious matters in my opinion.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:49 am

It boggles my mind how high some people believe the bar should be for compensation.
muji likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: IHG Gold
This is exactly why I put the do not disturb sign/light on whenever I leave the room in the AM if I have not checked out.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wish the OP would clarify whether there was a do not disturb sign on the door when the incident happened.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by arcticflier

Now THAT is something I'd like to see LOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.