Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does early online check in reduce upgrade possibility

Old Dec 29, 18, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

I am staying at the Waldorf in Las Vegas for NYE. I am Diamond (thanks to Aspire) and used my rewards certificate. I have the option of checking in online and getting a city view room, but I am wondering if that would reduce my chances of an upgrade to strip view (for the fireworks). So, the question is, which one has better odds of an upgrade: check in online today or tomorrow around 3.30 pm?
Old Dec 29, 18, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Upgrades though OLCI are laughable at most properties. Look to see what rooms are available but that is all you have to choose from. You can always cancel out of it, and likely will.
Old Dec 29, 18, 12:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by jediwho View Post
I am staying at the Waldorf in Las Vegas for NYE. I am Diamond (thanks to Aspire) and used my rewards certificate. I have the option of checking in online and getting a city view room, but I am wondering if that would reduce my chances of an upgrade to strip view (for the fireworks). So, the question is, which one has better odds of an upgrade: check in online today or tomorrow around 3.30 pm?

***For a one-time event night like that, squeaky wheels get greased.

I'd call aheadearly on the 30th, when they are likely assigning rooms, and ask the front desk what kind of room they have you in. Ask politely then if there "are view rooms available, and may I request an upgrade to a high floor view?"

They'll usually take note of this request, and when they dole out rooms that evening for morning check-in, the request is in the queue.

It might not happen, availability and such, but you'll be a mile ahead of people that don't bother asking until they show up at 4pm on the 31st, bellying up to the check-in desk asking "So... got any good rooms left?"

Can't hurt to ask, and the sooner the better.

PS: Yes, it's worked for me.

PPS: I'm trying to talk my wife into coming down to LV to do NYE at Waldorf as well! She hates Vegas (well, so do I), but it sounded like a quick flight and fun experience. I've been meaning to try to WA, and that sure sounds like a great time to give it a go. Other than an assured crowded late-am breakfast, I suppose...

Have fun!
wizla, markko and Mordac like this.
Old Dec 29, 18, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant View Post

I'd call aheadearly on the 30th, when they are likely assigning rooms, and ask the front desk what kind of room they have you in. Ask politely then if there "are view rooms available, and may I request an upgrade to a high floor view?"

They'll usually take note of this request, and when they dole out rooms that evening for morning check-in, the request is in the queue.

It might not happen, availability and such, but you'll be a mile ahead of people that don't bother asking until they show up at 4pm on the 31st, bellying up to the check-in desk asking "So... got any good rooms left?"

PPS: I'm trying to talk my wife into coming down to LV to do NYE at Waldorf as well! She hates Vegas (well, so do I), but it sounded like a quick flight and fun experience. I've been meaning to try to WA, and that sure sounds like a great time to give it a go. Other than an assured crowded late-am breakfast, I suppose...

Have fun!
Thanks, that's a great suggestion! I will let you know how it goes.
Old Jan 2, 19, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant View Post

Have fun!

Hippster likes this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Called up a day before and the CSR took down my request for an upgrade. Crazy thing is that checking in right next to me was another frequent traveler who used his and his wife's certificate that comes with Aspire card for a two night stay and he did not get an upgrade. So, my calling in probably worked.

Here are some pics of the fireworks from the room.
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:15 am

Congrats on the upgrade! Looks like a great view.
Old Jan 2, 19, 6:02 pm
ECR

Well done It looks like the strategy paid off and you had a great time
Old Jan 5, 19, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
What a lovely view, and congrats on the fun night out!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: