Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Online Check In and Room Upgrades" thread

Old Nov 1, 06, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX

Hello-

I am a Diamond member preparing (tomorrow) to check-in online for a stay at Hilton hotel in San Fran. How does my "early/online" check-in effect my chances for getting upgraded to, say, the executive floor?
Old Nov 1, 06, 12:32 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
You'll hear mixed results from folks -- check out this thread, it's the definitive OLCI thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536105

In my experience, unless you see a definite upgrade on the OLCI screen, it's not worth doing it (and even if you do, folks have reported not getting their upgrade). Good luck.
Old Nov 1, 06, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CRC, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Priority Club Gold
I've used on-line check in 3 times

Had success with online check-in. I just used to check-in at an Embassy Suite. I usually only use it if it shows "Upgraded Room" available.

There was an unexpected payoff this time. My client needed to drop off some important papers to review and I was able to give him my room number as well. He wrote it on the envelope and upon arrival, I was handed my key & packet. It probably would have gotten to me; however, the client is very "techie" and was impressed.

Travel safe.... ^
Old Nov 1, 06, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Just wish you could see your room on a floor plan. I often hesitate to select a room if I do not know exactly where it is.

@:-) Someone should set up a stiky with room location for each hotel...
Old Nov 1, 06, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Hello-

I am a Diamond member preparing (tomorrow) to check-in online for a stay at Hilton hotel in San Fran. How does my "early/online" check-in effect my chances for getting upgraded to, say, the executive floor?
I would give it mixed results. I tried it again this weekend for a stay at the ES seatac and it gave me 4 choices, all of which said ":upgraded room" but I know that it is an 8 story hotel and the highest floor it showed was 5. I skipped it and when I arrived they had me in a corner sweet on the 8'th floor. I stay at the ES at SFO all of the time and sometimes it gives me the top floor (9) and sometimes it does not.
Old Nov 1, 06, 9:56 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I have been "Upgraded" a few times using the Diamond online check-in..so why not use it..and when you get there still ask for the best possible room.. @:-)
Old Nov 1, 06, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
I have been "Upgraded" a few times using the Diamond online check-in..so why not use it..and when you get there still ask for the best possible room.. @:-)
That's probably the best idea. Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 06, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Has anyone experimented with check-in and check-out times to see if OLCI choices change? I'm curious.
Old Nov 2, 06, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Plat,HH Diamond,Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold (Thanks UA!)
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Has anyone experimented with check-in and check-out times to see if OLCI choices change? I'm curious.
Great suggestion, I'll try on Monday for Tuesday's check-in.
Old Nov 2, 06, 7:33 am

Programs: DL DM MM; HH Diamond; Starwood Plat, Lifetime Gold; Hertz President's Circle
I have tried it several times and received the same results regardless of what check-in/check-out times I selected. However, I noticed that OLCI options change throughout the day on the day that I am checking in - sometimes better, sometimes worse. But as soon as I see that my upgrade was confirmed, I grab it.
Old Nov 2, 06, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Too many variables

there are too many things going on that affect a person "confirming" or "securing" an upgrade PRIOR to actually checking in. In the first OLCI Thread (Can these be merged??) the majority of folks feel there are a lot of kinks that need to be worked out. Plus you have
- Changing other people's rooms assignments, that affect your room options (taking a room off line for various maintenence or housekeeping issues, etc; people extending stays
- A Diamond checks in prior to you

Each hotel and check in situation is different and you have to be flexible.
Old Nov 2, 06, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wjudge
I have tried it several times and received the same results regardless of what check-in/check-out times I selected. However, I noticed that OLCI options change throughout the day on the day that I am checking in - sometimes better, sometimes worse. But as soon as I see that my upgrade was confirmed, I grab it.
Interesting... I am arriving tomorrow at the hotel, so I went online to check-in today and it showed me 4 choices: all, regular 1 King bed rooms, just on 4 different floors. There weren't any suites or executive rooms to pick from. I decided to call reservations and she told me that there are upgraded rooms available. I asked why it wasn't automatic to get them now and she said I will just have to ask when I arrive.

Do "upgraded" rooms show up as the day goes on, so I should hold off checking-in until I see one?

Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 06, 10:57 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
I just do things wrong I guess. I've tried olci and not doing it. I was gold for 2 years and been Diamond (5 stays since) for 2 months and I have NEVER and I do mean NEVER received an upgrade! I ask and they always say - sorry sir there are no upgrades available. I get breakfast and/or lounge access so it isn't a huge deal but you would think surely once it would happen? Staying at the Waldorf in London and the TPA airport Hilton next month so hopefully?
Old Nov 2, 06, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by jjlovecub
I just do things wrong I guess. I've tried olci and not doing it. I was gold for 2 years and been Diamond (5 stays since) for 2 months and I have NEVER and I do mean NEVER received an upgrade! I ask and they always say - sorry sir there are no upgrades available. I get breakfast and/or lounge access so it isn't a huge deal but you would think surely once it would happen? Staying at the Waldorf in London and the TPA airport Hilton next month so hopefully?
That's a shame. Of course, you may have been upgraded without knowing it. For instance, at the local Hampton Inn with outside corridors, an upgrade would be a room that doesn't face the interstate.

Maybe it's your timing. Maybe you're staying too long. Try moving around a little and staying just one night. My success rate is very high on 1 night stays, and it sux on the 5-nighters.
Old Nov 2, 06, 12:01 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
That's a shame. Of course, you may have been upgraded without knowing it. For instance, at the local Hampton Inn with outside corridors, an upgrade would be a room that doesn't face the interstate.

Maybe it's your timing. Maybe you're staying too long. Try moving around a little and staying just one night. My success rate is very high on 1 night stays, and it sux on the 5-nighters.
Good ideas. I'll try it and see how it goes

Search this Thread
Search Engine: