No One Night Stay?

Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

No One Night Stay?

I am trying to book a one night stay in March at a nearby Hampton Inn. When I try to search availability online, it says there is no availability, however, if I make the reservation two nights and extend the checkout to the next day, there is plenty of availability. Is there a way to book a one night stay knowing full well there's availability at the hotel the night I want?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Presumably there's a special event that means that the hotel is enforcing a 2-night minimum stay.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Presumably there's a special event that means that the hotel is enforcing a 2-night minimum stay.
Hmm that sounds possible but this hotel is basically in the middle of nowhere (western NJ) so it seems kind of odd that's the case. The reason I asked is because the other time I ran into this problem with Hilton hotels was when I was trying to book a one night stay in Detroit when I traveled for a football game. Was just trying to figure out if this is a Hilton thing they commonly do and/or if there was any way to get around the limitation since it save me a 30 minute drive to/from my destination given this Hampton Inn is only a few blocks away.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Minimum stays greater than 1-night is a common revenue management technique not specific to Hilton. You might think the property is middle of nowhere and yet it could get most of its weekly revenue from 3 or 4-night stays by commuting workers, for example.
hotelboy likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by cerps343
I am trying to book a one night stay in March at a nearby Hampton Inn. When I try to search availability online, it says there is no availability, however, if I make the reservation two nights and extend the checkout to the next day, there is plenty of availability. Is there a way to book a one night stay knowing full well there's availability at the hotel the night I want?
Two tricks come to mind:
1) book a two night stay and then try modifying the rez to one, or
2) book a two night stay and then call the hotel to see if they will change it for you.

MLOSs work both ways, minimum and maximum length of stays. When I was on the road all the time, any multi-night bookings started by researching the total stay and any/all combination of nights. Sometimes I found substantial rate reductions that making a couple of reservations saved me money. Most times the property would keep me in the same room, but then I always tried to book the same room type.
Mthorn82 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Best if booking this on phone with a Hilton rep. First ask them to book two nights. If that doesn’t work then book two nights, then cancel the second night. It’s good to make it on phone since they can preserv the rate, in case that changes.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Five Star, HH Gold, BW Platinum, M Life Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Two tricks come to mind:
1) book a two night stay and then try modifying the rez to one, or
2) book a two night stay and then call the hotel to see if they will change it for you.

MLOSs work both ways, minimum and maximum length of stays. When I was on the road all the time, any multi-night bookings started by researching the total stay and any/all combination of nights. Sometimes I found substantial rate reductions that making a couple of reservations saved me money. Most times the property would keep me in the same room, but then I always tried to book the same room type.

Agree with 1) book a two night stay and then try modifying the rez to one
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Best option is to call the property directly, not the toll-free line which just gets you to Hilton's central system. Don't book and then call. Better to call first and see what you can get.

If the property won't do it, chances are the res people won't, but you may still try.

My guess on an out-of-the-way property 3-4 months in advance is that the property sets the 2-night min for business regulars. Later, it may drop this. Or not.
wetrat0 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:01 am

NCAA tournament

March in New Jersey could likely be coming up on the NCAA basketball tournament.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DBCubix
March in New Jersey could likely be coming up on the NCAA basketball tournament.
This is out at the Hampton Inn in Flemington, so quite a ride from the venues for NCAA.

I ended up calling central reservations and booked two nights with the agent putting a note on the reservation (and the comments appeared in my reservation confirmation email) that I could check in and inform the front desk I would only be staying the one night and checking out early with no penalty.

If this sounds like I could be in for trouble when I get to the hotel, please let me know. I'll be watching out for price drops on the reservation anyway so I'm likely going to be calling back at some point before my stay in March.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Many hotels have an early departure fee, so I would be careful assuming that you will not be charged for one.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
This is out at the Hampton Inn in Flemington, so quite a ride from the venues for NCAA.

I ended up calling central reservations and booked two nights with the agent putting a note on the reservation (and the comments appeared in my reservation confirmation email) that I could check in and inform the front desk I would only be staying the one night and checking out early with no penalty.

If this sounds like I could be in for trouble when I get to the hotel, please let me know. I'll be watching out for price drops on the reservation anyway so I'm likely going to be calling back at some point before my stay in March.
There is no guarantee that this will work. Did you ever call the property and ask about a one-night stay?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:43 pm

I would absolutely not count on this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:49 pm
ECR

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Many hotels have an early departure fee, so I would be careful assuming that you will not be charged for one.
Maybe I am overly cautious, but I would be worried about this as well. I would be looking to contact the hotel by email to get something in writing directly from them that they won't charge you for leaving early, or better still that they will amend to a one night stay.
ChinaShrek and sdsearch like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:27 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Are you a member of AAA or AARP? If so, try searching for one of those rates on the Hilton site as well - I sometimes find they don't have minimum night requirements, and most often the rate is a few dollars cheaper too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.