Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do credit card Diamonds and "real" Diamonds get different treatment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do credit card Diamonds and "real" Diamonds get different treatment?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:49 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

The difference in diamond volumes is very noticeable in terms of the impact upon status benefits.
Agree with your post. I first made Diamond in '94, what a world of difference since then! Even in the early 2000's, Diamonds were recognized very well. I can't count the number of great suite upgrades I used to get though the Presidential Suite at the Hilton Milan stands out, I could have had dinner for 10 in the dining room! Now, it means very little. A couple weeks ago in Houston, I was checking in and had my regular Hilton AmEx out. Another front desk agent comes over and asks if that's the card that cost $450 to give you Diamond. I said no and pulled out my LTD card saying I won't need to worry about that anymore. They made a bit of a fuss, gave me a nice upgrade (without asking) and later sent a bottle of wine up to the room with a nice note.
FlyingJayhawk12 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Tomphot
Another front desk agent comes over and asks if that's the card that cost $450 to give you Diamond. I said no and pulled out my LTD card saying I won't need to worry about that anymore. They made a bit of a fuss, gave me a nice upgrade (without asking) and later sent a bottle of wine up to the room with a nice note.
Makes sense. No idea how hotels are run, but, I'd imagine, if left to FD staff discretion, it's common sense that those who earned status deserve better treatment than those who simply bought or matched to it.
FlyingJayhawk12 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Visconti
Makes sense. No idea how hotels are run, but, I'd imagine, if left to FD staff discretion, it's common sense that those who earned status deserve better treatment than those who simply bought or matched to it.
If it is run like everything else in the world, then best treatment is for the rich and powerful without regard to earning it or not.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by IcHot
If it is run like everything else in the world, then best treatment is for the rich and powerful without regard to earning it or not.
LOL...quite right, quite right.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tomphot, I too have been upgraded to that very same suite Milan twice as recently as in the last two months, so at least in my case has not changed!
Tomphot likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Tomphot

Here is mine at the moment - these days it can easily get wiped out at a decent hotel in less than a week.
The balance does get mentioned more than the Diamond level at check in.
Very interesting. Your screenshot makes it appear that "Lifetime Diamond" is a different status level than just Diamond. I get "lifetime" status through HGVC, based on timeshare purchase level (Elite Premiere) but my Hhonors status just displays as Diamond in the app. The app even tells me (falsely) how many stays I need to have to "maintain" status. I could never stay at a Hilton and still remain Diamond, without qualifying stays, etc... So I do consider it to be lifetime. In the HHonors App under "Hilton Honors Card" it shows status as "HGV Club Elite Premiere". But the Apple Wallet pass doesn't show that info. I'm wondering if the front desk can see the HGV info... In any case, I find all of the discussion about what the FD staff see very interesting. I will try asking at my next stay. I've only had someone mention my balance once (when over 1M) but that wasn't at a hotel, it was when booking a reservation over the phone.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat Pro, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by timfountain
Honestly, I believe the answer is no. I make Diamond on all 3 criteria (30+/60+/120+) and have done so for 10+ years. It's rare I even get a thank you for being diamond, and I really can't recall the last time I received a true upgrade at a US property. My one upgrade this year was in Neurnberg. Even the Hilton Tel Aviv let me down, and that is a hotel I stay at 2-3 times a year for 15+ years.... In comparison I stayed at a Hyatt Regency this week. I have no status. I got an upgrade to a comer suite, free WIFI and an offer of a late checkout (4PM) without even asking. Hilton is really starting to suck. If Marriott were to offer a status match equivalent to Diamond, I would take it.

Unfortunate that your success rate for getting a Thank You is so low. I travel frequently and usually hit about 160 nights per year. Honestly I can't remember when I DID NOT get thanked for being a Diamond member. Overall you are correct though; Diamond status isn't what it used to be. I blame the devaluation as well as the CC offers to obtain status.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
I am a lowly Hampton troll who stays 220+ nights/year. I use my points for stays at Waldorfs and Conrads all over the world. I nearly always get a nice "thank you for being a Diamond member (regardless of the hotel brand or city) ," and occasionally get an upgrade. In my case, the program appears to work as intended. I have no complaints.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Flying Blue Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriot Plat (TWA / NWA - million miler)
Big Points make people think differently about you at check in. I was carrying 5 million IHG points at one point, and was getting suites even after i lost most of status (due to switching to HH). For hilton, i think the properties that I have 40+ nights a year, or a very long history, have me flagged in their system. Typically i get an email from someone in hospitality to welcome me in advance, and ask me about room preferences, arrival time, assistance with transport, etc. This does not seem to be connected with Diamond status, as i go back and forth between gold and diamond.

QingDao / Singapore / Rotterdam / Schilpol all seem to treat me well no matter what my status, but some of these hotels are 300+ nights or 100+ stays for me...
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I’ll never understand why Flyertalkers want to be recognized by front desk personnel at hotels and check in agents at airports. I could not care less about that.

Having some check in agent at a Hotel pretend to be impressed or thankful for being loyal to a giant corporation seems dumb. And let’s be honest none of the, sincerely give a crap. Some are better actors than others

im the lowest level fake diamond-via status matches.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Z Man
For hilton, i think the properties that I have 40+ nights a year, or a very long history, have me flagged in their system.
100% agree with this. At the end of the day it is the properties running the business, not Hilton corporate, and the good ones do their own customer relationship management above and beyond a corporate standard.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:13 pm

Does the hotel readily see nights/stays for calendar year?

Originally Posted by CMK10
If they do they must have me confused because I'm a "real" Diamond who had 62 nights and 40+ stays last year and I still can't get an upgrade or late check out.
Does the hotel readily see nights/stays for calendar year the same way that they can see point balance with ease. Obviously with a bit of nominal proactive inquiring , they can get your nights and stays. But my question is that as there is a consensous that points can be easily seen, is it the same with ease and non effort of viewing point balances
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHE if a check-in person recognizes my Lifetime status unprompted, that same person will always give me a late checkout without question. So yes, that is a "perk" of being recognized. It is like comments/requests. We have all noticed how some properties actually read and act of requests, while others obviously do not even bother reading them.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stallion114
I’ll never understand why Flyertalkers want to be recognized by front desk personnel at hotels and check in agents at airports. I could not care less about that.

Having some check in agent at a Hotel pretend to be impressed or thankful for being loyal to a giant corporation seems dumb. And let’s be honest none of the, sincerely give a crap. Some are better actors than others

im the lowest level fake diamond-via status matches.
I like being thanked by a company for my business but even more so I like being given a suite upgrade and a late check out because of it. That's what I'm really looking for here.
Smrtmom1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.