Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do credit card Diamonds and "real" Diamonds get different treatment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do credit card Diamonds and "real" Diamonds get different treatment?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Explorer789
I guess points balance is a way for them to quickly see if someone is "invested" in their brand as they will likely stay in a Hilton brand hotel sometime in the future to use those points.

Does anyone know how far back the front desk can see your stay history? If someone has 500k points that they accumulated a few years ago but only stay at Hilton brands once or twice a year just to keep the balance from expiring, then simply looking at the past year may not be enough.
It's possible to pull a guest's entire stay history (or at least what Hilton has stored centrally, anyway... guess I need to add that given the IT issues these days).
DiverDave likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Honestly, I believe the answer is no. I make Diamond on all 3 criteria (30+/60+/120+) and have done so for 10+ years. It's rare I even get a thank you for being diamond, and I really can't recall the last time I received a true upgrade at a US property. My one upgrade this year was in Neurnberg. Even the Hilton Tel Aviv let me down, and that is a hotel I stay at 2-3 times a year for 15+ years.... In comparison I stayed at a Hyatt Regency this week. I have no status. I got an upgrade to a comer suite, free WIFI and an offer of a late checkout (4PM) without even asking. Hilton is really starting to suck. If Marriott were to offer a status match equivalent to Diamond, I would take it.
exree likes this.

Last edited by timfountain; Dec 25, 2018 at 10:50 am
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:20 am
vga

Programs: yes
So synthetic diamonds do have value, but not often as jewelry. When gemstone quality diamonds are made in a lab they cost about 20-30% less on a per-carat basis, compared to naturally occurring diamonds
RobotDoctor, jhalapin and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by Tomphot
Properties don’t know if someone is a Lifetime Diamond so I doubt they can tell if someone has it via CC.
The bolded part is not accurate. As an example the FD clerk at my stay this week at a HS in San Diego made an unsolicited mention of my LTD status when I checked in. Besides her I have had at least a half dozen others at various hotels mention it as well when I checked in all without any prompting from me.

I think it is all about the front desk person, and what they care to look at. As an example, sometimes hotels I have frequented many times, the FD person welcomes me back when check in, other times at the same hotel a different agent will ask me if this is my first time at this hotel.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:45 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
The bolded part is not accurate. As an example the FD clerk at my stay this week at a HS in San Diego made an unsolicited mention of my LTD status when I checked in. Besides her I have had at least a half dozen others at various hotels mention it as well when I checked in all without any prompting from me.

I think it is all about the front desk person, and what they care to look at. As an example, sometimes hotels I have frequented many times, the FD person welcomes me back when check in, other times at the same hotel a different agent will ask me if this is my first time at this hotel.
Your experience has been very different from mine. In 2 years, LTD has been mentioned once. Instead it's the standard thanks for being Diamond. I've asked a number of properties how the check in screen denotes status and a few have welcomed me behind the desk to see. It just shows Diamond. At the 1 property who mentioned LTD, we ended up having a long conversation, she showed me how she drills down into guests profiles to see if she had any HVCs checking in. That screen shows your rating and also shows the number and list of complaints you've filed. In my case, apparently I had logged 5 concerns over the past 31 years.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Your experience has been very different from mine. In 2 years, LTD has been mentioned once. Instead it's the standard thanks for being Diamond. I've asked a number of properties how the check in screen denotes status and a few have welcomed me behind the desk to see. It just shows Diamond. At the 1 property who mentioned LTD, we ended up having a long conversation, she showed me how she drills down into guests profiles to see if she had any HVCs checking in. That screen shows your rating and also shows the number and list of complaints you've filed. In my case, apparently I had logged 5 concerns over the past 31 years.
Based on what you wrote, our experiences only differ in the number of times the FDC has mentioned it to me vice you. Since at least one person has mentioned your LT status to you I believe we are both making the same points. That being they can see it, it all just depends on if they care to dig down any.

This IMO it is the same reason some FDC's who have never met me, instantly welcome me back when I check in while others ask if I had stayed at this hotel before.

I think this is relevant to the OP's question and the topic of this thread. As others have stated, all Diamonds are entitled to the exact same benefits. Some FDC's may take the time to drill down into profiles for any number of reasons, and give a preferred room to someone who has more nights, especially if many are at that hotel or spends more over someone with the same status but not as much hotel activity. Others, most likely most IMO may not give a hoot about any of that.

The secret to getting the best treatment by the FDC IMHO is to live by the golden rule and greet the person who is checking you in with a smile, be polite, and kill them with kindness and respect.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Dec 21, 2018 at 8:06 pm Reason: My spelling and grammer suck!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
it all just depends on if they care to dig down any.
The secret to getting the best treatment by the FDC IMHO is to live by the golden rule and great the person who is checking you in with a smile, be polite, and kill them with kindness and respect.
In well over 100 stays since I earned LTD, 1 stay recognized it so it's obvious that it's not easily noticed in their system. We've obviously stayed at totally different properties.
I totally agree with your second point and as I always do that, it's the reason I've been invited to see the screens and data they have. On the rare occasion when I really want an upgrade, I have pulled the black card out and asked if it would help. Every time, I get the wow treatment and that that is so cool! They also wish they could see that in the system as they would rather give an upgrade to a LTD than anyone else. That in itself tells me a lot.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
In well over 100 stays since I earned LTD, 1 stay recognized it so it's obvious that it's not easily noticed in their system. We've obviously stayed at totally different properties.
I totally agree with your second point and as I always do that, it's the reason I've been invited to see the screens and data they have. On the rare occasion when I really want an upgrade, I have pulled the black card out and asked if it would help. Every time, I get the wow treatment and that that is so cool! They also wish they could see that in the system as they would rather give an upgrade to a LTD than anyone else. That in itself tells me a lot.
what is the "black card"?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
Like others have said here. I think being a regular at a property really gets you a bump in treatment.. Im a regular at the Hilton Sukhumvit and Conrad Bangkok and they really do go a little extra for me there.Nice upgrades always a 4pm checkout or later if i need. etc etc
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Beano
what is the "black card"?
The black aluminum LTD card
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:21 am

Properties don’t know if someone is a Lifetime Diamond so I doubt they can tell if someone has it via CC.
This is incorrect. Within the past year I’ve had FD staff at several properties note Lifetime status at check-in without prompting. This has become more frequent within the past few months and occurs at properties under a variety of HH flags.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: HH diamond
I am now a CC Diamond since I don't travel as much any more. But I have noticed no difference from when I was a BIB Diamond vs now. What seems to make the most impact is being a frequent guest at a hotel. When I was Gold (BIB Gold), I got upgraded to a suite at a hotel that I stayed in several times a year for several years. Diamonds didn't even get that upgrade.

I'm not sure they can tell how you acquire your Diamond.
Beano likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld

This is incorrect. Within the past year I’ve had FD staff at several properties note Lifetime status at check-in without prompting. This has become more frequent within the past few months and occurs at properties under a variety of HH flags.
See my post above - I must be staying at all the wrong properties.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IF the property notes lifetime I have been treated very well. if they don't then treated like any other Diamond. This is fine with me.lifetime just means I don't need to qualify anymore. But, I more than meet the qualifications for Diamond each year, at least for now while I travel for work.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
My guess is LTD status is added as a note on the screen by the person who does room allocations and upgrades.
Sisosig likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.