Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do credit card Diamonds and "real" Diamonds get different treatment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do credit card Diamonds and "real" Diamonds get different treatment?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
For example, are "real" Diamonds (those that earn status through nights stayed) given higher priority for upgrades than Aspire cardholders?
As if those are the only two types???

There are Diamonds from status matches, there are Diamonds on challenges, there are Diamond who qualify through stays (not nights), through base points (not nights), etc, etc, etc.

IMHO, your question is phrased wrong. Instead making all these assumptions, IMHO the question should be: "Does any know how hotels prioritize upgrade when there are fewer upgrades available than the number of Diamonds at the hotel. Is the consistent across all properties, or does it vary with the property?"

Consider this very simple fact: If you are booked into a room with bed configuration X and some other Diamond is booked a room with bed configuration Y, and the only upgrade available is upgraded bed configuration Y, isn't it likely they might choose the Diamond who reserved the same bed configuration as the upgraded room has, rather than based on anything related to how the person earned thier status?

So it could be as simple as you're getting fewer upgrades because of something like the type of room you're reserving and how it compares with the types of rooms most frequently available for upgrade.

Also another factor is length of stay. If the upgraded room is only available for one night, if your reservation is for two nights and another Diamond's reservation is only for one night, guess who's most likely to get that upgrade? @:-)
isle-hawg and Adelphos like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Frequenting a property means more if you ask me. Diamond by itself not so much.
I agree. I was both butt in bed Diamond and now Aspire Diamond. Don't see any difference. But frequenting a property does ensure I'm treated better.
Beano likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by Tomphot

Almost forgot, this is FlyerTalk where Trolls rule
Ignore their comments, I appreciate your data points.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Tomphot
Properties don’t know if someone is a Lifetime Diamond so I doubt they can tell if someone has it via CC.
properties definitely know lifetime diamond status. Has led to upgrades and better service in a variety of hotels. Our stays are mostly international, in Asia and Oceania and the status is acknowledged beginning with check in. In Thailand, the front desk wanted a picture with a lifetime diamond member.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:02 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by worldiswide
properties definitely know lifetime diamond status. Has led to upgrades and better service in a variety of hotels. Our stays are mostly international, in Asia and Oceania and the status is acknowledged beginning with check in. In Thailand, the front desk wanted a picture with a lifetime diamond member.
Thanks for your data points. I’ll see how the BKK the property greats me soon.
I’m obviously staying at all the wrong properties as in the last 100+ stays, 1property drilled deep into the reservation screens to find the LTD status. The rest must just look at the main screen where status is designated at D.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Life Time Titanium Elite/ Hilton Honors Diamond
Agreed, the marketing materials may say that but receiving program benefits is a joke. I have FD tell me many times that they cannot give me late checkout because there are other guests that would like to get into the room they booked on time. Total BS. NEVER EVER had an issue with SPG as a gold or plat member. Was never refused. I am beginning to wonder why I even bothered to obtain and maintain Diamond status. I have a friend that used to be a FD manager for 3 different Hilton properties and she said that they were trained not to provide upgrades or late checkout and at 2 properties were told by senior management that upgrades and late checkout were not available unless approved by them.

Total joke.....they DO NOT deliver on the promised benefits.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
I would not say that the 2 get treated any different but have been told that they can tell if you received diamond via credit card. I would just say diamonds that stay regularly at the same property get treated better then other diamonds.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Litig8r1104
Agreed, the marketing materials may say that but receiving program benefits is a joke. I have FD tell me many times that they cannot give me late checkout because there are other guests that would like to get into the room they booked on time. Total BS. NEVER EVER had an issue with SPG as a gold or plat member. Was never refused. I am beginning to wonder why I even bothered to obtain and maintain Diamond status. I have a friend that used to be a FD manager for 3 different Hilton properties and she said that they were trained not to provide upgrades or late checkout and at 2 properties were told by senior management that upgrades and late checkout were not available unless approved by them.

Total joke.....they DO NOT deliver on the promised benefits.
Which country was your friend located in ? (if you say the USA I will not be looking forward to staying in the USA.)
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Week
Well that is not the experience of many people.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I would say being a Diamond member really doesn't offer anything above and beyond these days so I don't think how a person is a Diamond really matters. Maybe 4-5 years ago upgrades were more frequent but are virtually non-existent today, even when properties are not close to being full. The drink and snack amenity at Hampton Inns are generally offered but maybe 1 in 10 or 1 in 5 times I have to remind the desk clerk of this option (to which I ask for waters). Then again, this is really no different than any other chain, unless you're staying at a upper tier property/brand. I am a lifetime Platinum at Marriott properties and my recent experience is that Marriott goes above and beyond to offer mediocre service, sometimes less than that. No upgrades, amenity package is less than stellar. These are the sign of the times. Customers pay more for less benefit.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
I would say being a Diamond member really doesn't offer anything above and beyond these days so I don't think how a person is a Diamond really matters. Maybe 4-5 years ago upgrades were more frequent but are virtually non-existent today, even when properties are not close to being full. The drink and snack amenity at Hampton Inns are generally offered but maybe 1 in 10 or 1 in 5 times I have to remind the desk clerk of this option (to which I ask for waters). Then again, this is really no different than any other chain, unless you're staying at a upper tier property/brand. I am a lifetime Platinum at Marriott properties and my recent experience is that Marriott goes above and beyond to offer mediocre service, sometimes less than that. No upgrades, amenity package is less than stellar. These are the sign of the times. Customers pay more for less benefit.
At every Hampton I have ever stayed in always get the 250 MyWay points and 2 bottles of water. Water is separate from the snack option. What is your MyWay choice set to for Hampton's? If you are saying you want the snack option then take water you are ripping yourself off of either the points or the snack.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Baze
At every Hampton I have ever stayed in always get the 250 MyWay points and 2 bottles of water. Water is separate from the snack option. What is your MyWay choice set to for Hampton's? If you are saying you want the snack option then take water you are ripping yourself off of either the points or the snack.
Then I am shorting myself 250 points each rental. I'll look at that again. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Life Time Titanium Elite/ Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Beano
Which country was your friend located in ? (if you say the USA I will not be looking forward to staying in the USA.)
Yes in the USA. It is unfortunate but I have seen the proof at multiple Hilton properties/brands. I must say however that the Waldorf in Chicago gives
you everything you have earned and then some, without having to ask for it. The property, staff, and service are above and beyond what you would expect from a Waldorf.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If they do they must have me confused because I'm a "real" Diamond who had 62 nights and 40+ stays last year and I still can't get an upgrade or late check out.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I found it quite the opposite.... There are two hotels I stayed 20 - 30 days this year, however, do found I received more upgrades when I was new at the hotel.

Also, they became very strict about who visiting the lounge. One of the hotel refused my wife bringing her friend into the lounge as I was not interested in lounge food. Never had this problem at a hotel that doesn't know me, which made me always thought the lounge access was for two with or without me.
that's very interesting
I thought it was 2 persons too (one of which had to be a guest)
was it just this one hotel or some others too?
was it in the USA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.