Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

1yr of diamond....0 upgrades, but got some free water bottles

Old Dec 17, 18, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

I realize I am not a full time professional traveler, but I did 70 nights over 38 stays with Hilton this year. I had diamond status carry over from last year as well so I just hit the 1yr mark with Hilton as a Diamond member.

Now, in fairness I am a business traveler most of the time and as such do not usually do luxury or resort properties. Most of my stays are in full-service Hiltons, Embassy Suites, etc. Importantly, I also rarely use executive lounges as I am always out for dinner meetings and drinks. So perhaps if I stayed at more luxury focused properties or had more down time in hotels I would notice a difference.....

But that being said, I have not noticed a difference between having no status and being diamond other than two free water bottles.

1. About 70% of properties do not offer a free snack; just the water bottles
2. The reservation guarantee is a joke because of the lead-time that you need (48hrs)
3. I have never gotten a single upgrade over these 38 stays
4. Most properties do not even acknowledge you are a diamond
5. Many properties do not have diamond parking
6. Late checkout is about a 20% success rate even as a diamond - ridiculous

I am not sure if I have just been unlucky or not, but I honestly don't value diamond status at all. This is probably all old-hat complaints to most of you, but as someone who is a relatively new diamond I expected more. I am considering switching to SPG to see what the other side feels like.
alchemista likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold,
No free breakfast?
No 100% bonus elite points?

the only value I see in diamond over gold is the point bonus and an occasional upgrade.

But I see much more value in diamond over no status.

I value the breakfast and the bonus points the most as a gold.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Assuming you are traveling in N America this doesn't sound too far from what you should expect, sadly. If there is property with a particular sort of upgraded room you would find appealing don'r be shy about asking nicely for upgrade availability at check in. And you didn't mention breakfast, that is an elite benefit (at properties that don't provide it for all guests.)
Beano likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Very fair point that I forgot about breakfast. I do value that in properties where I can get an omlette like Embassy Suites and Garden Inn. But I don't value it at all at properties like Hampton Inn.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:43 pm

Programs: HH Gold,
Originally Posted by computerpro3 View Post
Very fair point that I forgot about breakfast. I do value that in properties where I can get an omlette like Embassy Suites and Garden Inn. But I don't value it at all at properties like Hampton Inn.
Fair point there too.

Then the 20 points per dollar spent would be the real benefit of diamond vs no status.

I dont have the stays to get diamond, but I value gold over no status quite a bit, and mostly due to the ability to accumulate points faster and use them for free stays and save lots of money.

I am am keeping my Marriotts/SPG card just because they keep throwing points at me.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton Lifetime Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold;AMEX Plat; Hertz Pres
If you are staying in full-service Hiltons, you should get lounge access. Not all of them have it, but that's a big plus for me. I get the best treatment as a Diamond in Asia, followed by Europe, and better in the higher class hotels (e.g. Conrads) than the normal business hotels. In typical US business hotels, my experience is that Diamond is better than not Diamond but it only occasionally leads to a suite upgrade.
GoodFastOrCheap likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bon Titanium, Accor Platinum (former IHG Plat Ambass - quit after 13 years)
38 stays with no upgrade seems impossible unless you are staying only at the budget properties like hampton inn which don't really have much difference in rooms.
Are you using online check-in ?
If yes, stop using it.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
As always happens in these "never get upgraded" threads (of which there are dozens), you need to look at the hotels involved. Not all hotels have Lounges. Embassy Suites doesn't typically have higher level rooms to upgrade to. More than water is not always a stated benefit in all Hilton Family members. Upgrades might be defined differently by hotels, and by you the customer- for example, being moved to a higher floor, or a slightly larger corner room might be an upgrade to the hotel, but not to you. I have only seen Diamond parking at one or two Hilton family members, and not at all hotels in those chains.

Do you ask when you arrive, or when you check in on line?

I agree the guaranteed breakfast is usually a very good perk, and I appreciate it. I get upgraded about 50% of the time, again, bearing mind some hotels don't necessarily have a room level to upgrade to, like many Hamptons and Hilton Garden Inns.. My Diamond status is mentioned probably 75% of the time.
B3nder likes this.

Last edited by BlueZebra; Dec 17, 18 at 6:43 pm
Old Dec 17, 18, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The OP statement is surprising as I'm a simple Gold that only stays about 5-7 times per year in a Hilton and I do get upgrades every time. This happens even in the US. If the Hilton has an Executive Lounge, I do get a room in the Executive floor. If the Hilton does not have an Executive Lounge, I get upgraded to a corner room (in some locations they are really nice and big with windows on two sides). I even had suites. I never have to ask. And they always thank me for being Gold.
GoodFastOrCheap and Adelphos like this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 7:15 pm

1. About 70% of properties do not offer a free snack; just the water bottles
2. The reservation guarantee is a joke because of the lead-time that you need (48hrs)
3. I have never gotten a single upgrade over these 38 stays
4. Most properties do not even acknowledge you are a diamond
5. Many properties do not have diamond parking
6. Late checkout is about a 20% success rate even as a diamond - ridiculous
1. True. No such thing asides from DT cookies. Snacks are not a stated elite benefit.
2. This is a minor benefit that I've never even used.
3. How do you define an upgrade? If you're saying that you've never even gotten a 1-category upgrade (eg, standard king to higher-floor king with some view) over 28 stays, then this is hard to believe, unless you have all your stays at the same 6-7 properties. I do 15-20 stays a year at Hilton, DT & Conrad mostly. I get an "upgrade" >1/2 of the time. Vast majority of the upgrades are king to executive floor king (which to me is not really an upgrade as a Diamond, but it still technically is), or various measly 1-category upgrade. I've gotten a suite upgrade ONCE in my 3 years as a Diamond.
4. I've had different experiences. I'm almost always acknowledged as a Diamond upon check-in.
5. Never heard of Diamond pkg. I'll have to look into it.
6. This is also surprising. In my experience, ~1/2 of the time I will get at least a 2-hour extension (but rarely more than that), >3/4 of the time at least a 1-hour extension.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
The OP statement is surprising as I'm a simple Gold that only stays about 5-7 times per year in a Hilton and I do get upgrades every time. This happens even in the US. If the Hilton has an Executive Lounge, I do get a room in the Executive floor. If the Hilton does not have an Executive Lounge, I get upgraded to a corner room (in some locations they are really nice and big with windows on two sides). I even had suites. I never have to ask. And they always thank me for being Gold.
This is also surprising. It's been a while since I was Gold but, following various threads here, it generally seems hardly a guarantee that a Gold gets upgraded to Executive floor. As stated above, I don't have much of any luck getting any meaningful upgrade at any time. I was thrilled when I got my first-ever suite upgrade after all these years.
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:04 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Why are experiences soooo different in the US? I can understand properties in Asia, but surely profit margins are the same as many major cities in the UK?
Beano likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Glob Lite "riff-raff"
Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci View Post
Why are experiences soooo different in the US? I can understand properties in Asia, but surely profit margins are the same as many major cities in the UK?
For one thing, Gold status is available for $95 with a credit card. Diamond status is available for $450 with a credit card.
:D!, Adelphos and Beano like this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I almost feel like giving back my private pool, ocean view suite upgrade and the goodies with wine.

Hampton Inn offers diamond parking but everyone who stays at a Hampton believes they are diamond.
Check, DiverDave, TSparky and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Of your 38 stays where you didn't get a room upgrade, which were at brands where room upgrades are actually a Diamond benefit? Because it isn't at HGI or Hamtpon Inn, so it's no surprise that you didn't get any if that's where you stayed.

Neil
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
1. True. No such thing asides from DT cookies. Snacks are not a stated elite benefit.
Sure they are.
  • Embassy Suites offers "three snack/refreshment choices per stay".
  • Hampton Inn offers "choice of snack and non-alcoholic beverage", and every Hampton Inn has a box on their check in desk with the options you can pick from.
  • Tru by Hilton offers "choice of snack and 2 bottles of water per stay".
  • Homewood Suites offers "two bottles of water and sweet snack per stay" (usually a two pack of Milano cookies).
  • Home2Suites offers "choice of snack and bottled water per stay".
These are all in lieu of some token tiny amount of bonus points at the property, and the choice is set in your My Way preferences (although in practice most hotels will give you both).

Neil

Search this Thread
Search Engine: