Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

1yr of diamond....0 upgrades, but got some free water bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1yr of diamond....0 upgrades, but got some free water bottles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL DIA, BA Gold
Originally Posted by computerpro3
I realize I am not a full time professional traveler, but I did 70 nights over 38 stays with Hilton this year. I had diamond status carry over from last year as well so I just hit the 1yr mark with Hilton as a Diamond member.

Now, in fairness I am a business traveler most of the time and as such do not usually do luxury or resort properties. Most of my stays are in full-service Hiltons, Embassy Suites, etc. Importantly, I also rarely use executive lounges as I am always out for dinner meetings and drinks. So perhaps if I stayed at more luxury focused properties or had more down time in hotels I would notice a difference.....

But that being said, I have not noticed a difference between having no status and being diamond other than two free water bottles.

1. About 70% of properties do not offer a free snack; just the water bottles
2. The reservation guarantee is a joke because of the lead-time that you need (48hrs)
3. I have never gotten a single upgrade over these 38 stays
4. Most properties do not even acknowledge you are a diamond
5. Many properties do not have diamond parking
6. Late checkout is about a 20% success rate even as a diamond - ridiculous

I am not sure if I have just been unlucky or not, but I honestly don't value diamond status at all. This is probably all old-hat complaints to most of you, but as someone who is a relatively new diamond I expected more. I am considering switching to SPG to see what the other side feels like.
Pretty similar to me. I have been Diamond 9 years. This year not one meaningful upgrade, only ones I have gotten is executive floor but same size room. Basically too many diamonds via the credit cards. As for parking I have yet to find any diamond parking that isn't taken. Clearly Diamond is nice to have but its not a big deal, I don't recall ever getting a suite upgrade in the past 5 years in the US. In APAC of course a different game where they treat you well.

Also on the subject I did notice a lot of European Hiltons now specifying in the rate when you book "no breakfast" I hope this doesn't mean if you book and are Diamond you get no breakfast benefit!

Last edited by jtatlanta; Dec 18, 2018 at 3:07 pm
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA Lifetime Plat
Lifetime Diamond here. Maybe it's just me, but I think I have parlayed the Lifetime status into more upgrades. Of course, the frequency rule always applies. The more times I stay at the same property, the more times I get upgraded. Second stay at one Hilton I got a suite upgrade. Next time I checked in, I mentioned how awesome my room was on my last stay and ask if by chance that same room or equivalent is available. Unless the property is sold out, this works more times than not. Best upgrade so far was in Cleveland where I got a huge suite with a 75" HD tv in the living room!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Staff can tell an earned diamond from a credit card diamond so if a hotel does not give out many upgrades it is due to hotel policy not because someone who decides to pay to receive diamond benefits. Staying on certain nights when hotels may have many regular guests staying or booking low rates can hurt your chances.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by kyunbit
Not much value of a Diamond unless you are staying in resorts in Asia.
Or South America, Africa, Europe...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:59 pm

Completely agree with the OP.

One time when I was feeling particularly disappointed with the lack of benefits and upgrades, I did check for upgrade possibilities before arriving and there were at least 2 categories of rooms available above mine booked. I mentioned this nicely at checkin, and was told that they won't upgrade me even if the rooms are available. I asked to speak to a manager, and showed the available rooms, which didn't matter to him. He was polite, but just refused no matter what. I ended up extremely frustrated, and asked for a free cancellation due to the service received on checkin which I was given. I then went to a Marriott property.

Hilton Diamond stinks for most US business travelers, but please stay on it and don't jump to the other brands!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I usually stay at HGI or HI, so maybe that is the difference. For upgrade, I always ask for a view of the beach no matter where I am staying. About half the time they will say, "Let me see what I can do" and I get a better room.

Same for late checkout. I will ask if I can and they will ask now long I need. I will say, "How about 7 a.m. tomorrow?" I will get a chuckle but it starts the negotiation. I have also found that if I say a time in fifteen minute intervals it helps. If I need a 2 p.m. I might say I have to be on the road and 2:15 could I get a 2:15. I don't know if helps, but it seems to.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
For upgrade, I always ask for a view of the beach no matter where I am staying. About half the time they will say, "Let me see what I can do" and I get a better room.
What do they say the other half of the time? "Sir, this is Wichita?"
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ozztraveller
Staff can tell an earned diamond from a credit card diamond so if a hotel does not give out many upgrades it is due to hotel policy not because someone who decides to pay to receive diamond benefits. Staying on certain nights when hotels may have many regular guests staying or booking low rates can hurt your chances.
There is also the big issue of 'standby upgrades'. Most Hilton's now offer any Honors member (and in some cases any guest) the chance to pay a deeply discounted rate for an upgrade subject to availability at check in. These so called 'Nor1' upgrades allow owners to monetize upgrades they might have previously given away.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by alchemista
Completely agree with the OP.

One time when I was feeling particularly disappointed with the lack of benefits and upgrades, I did check for upgrade possibilities before arriving and there were at least 2 categories of rooms available above mine booked. I mentioned this nicely at checkin, and was told that they won't upgrade me even if the rooms are available. I asked to speak to a manager, and showed the available rooms, which didn't matter to him. He was polite, but just refused no matter what. I ended up extremely frustrated, and asked for a free cancellation due to the service received on checkin which I was given. I then went to a Marriott property.

Hilton Diamond stinks for most US business travelers, but please stay on it and don't jump to the other brands!
There is a difference between rooms being empty and rooms being available for comp upgrades. One of the biggest benefits Hilton offers hotel owners is revenue management IT and experts. They determine which categories of rooms should be released for sale and when - including rooms and suites to be held through the day of check in to allow for walk-ins, VIP's, people walked from other hotels, etc.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:58 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Some other factors that I personally (anecdotally) feel also affect upgrades:

-rate that one has booked, I find that if I book a heavily discounted rate my chances for upgrade are lower or at least later than other diamonds staying at the properties I frequent. (UK mostly).

-additional spend (for repeat guests at hotels)...if you book the lowest rate and don't spend anything at all at the hotel, I can also understand why they might upgrade a flex booking diamond that also always buys a meal or drink in the bar each time over me...makes financial sense but of course we don't like it if we are the guest that doesn't spend and was frugal with our money.

-management style: some hotels will always be better giving upgrades than others nearby. Try to find the good ones and reward them with your custom but also with some kind words, reviews and spend if you can. What goes around comes around.

-a benefit not mentioned by the OP is also the general guarantee that they won't want to walk a diamond, so if plans delay you or you know the hotel is full, you can at least guarantee you'll get a room (or get some benefits if they have given it away).

-time lost: I do love OLCI as it allows me to just show up, say my name and get my room key and go...instead of having the 'breakfast is from, the elevators are...story line each time'. while not a status benefit, I do find the keycard is usually waiting for me and off I go as a valued guest...(so compared to no status as OP mentioned).

Safe travels.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Other factors that I find influence upgrades -
- Time of checking in - If I check in at 11 PM, the chance of a walk-in wanting to rent a suite are much less.
- Length of stay - it is much harder to get an upgrade for a 7 night stay than a 1 night stay, because someone might want that suite and book it later in that week.
- I ask for an upgrade when I make the reservation.
- At check-in, I politely ask if they were able to clear an upgrade for me. Sometimes, they will say no, but let me check, then find a nice upgrade. Again, this works best if checking in late for a short stay.
I get upgraded about half of the time that expecting a possible upgrade is reasonable in the U.S., and I can't remember the last time I wasn't upgraded outside the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.