5th Night Free Issues

Old Dec 11, 18, 11:39 am
Original Poster

5th Night Free Issues

Not sure if anyone has ran into this situation before or not, but would like to hear if there is a work around. I am a diamond member and I am booking rooms at the Conrad Bora Bora. Availability is limited, especially in the summer, but I managed to find a fri- sun and mon - weds stay available using the base points rate (80k). So I booked the 4 nights, but now need the 5th (which is Sunday). Hilton is telling me I have to book 5 in a row with points and won't allow me to use my free night in the middle, regardless of the fact that I am still booking 5 consecutive nights. This doesn't make a lot of sense and the diamond desk was no help. Its not like I am trying to get one over on them, because I am staying 5 constitutive nights. Any thoughts on if this is possible or am I stuck waiting to see if the middle night (sun) becomes available for 80k?

thanks,
Old Dec 11, 18, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, FB, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
5th night free now works by simply giving you a 20% point discount when you book the 5 nights , so selecting a specific higher point night for free is not working. You will indeed have to book the 5 nights at once.
Old Dec 11, 18, 11:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Gold and free agent (DH = AA EXP)
You need to be able book 5 consecutive nights on pts for them to waive the pts on the 5th night. It's not a free night in any class - it's a free additional award night, so inventory must be available to book in order to get it for free.
Old Dec 11, 18, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Glob Lite "riff-raff"
What you are trying to do is not how it works. You must make one reservation encompassing five nights. It will not help you to have four nights reserved and wait for the fifth night to become available.

From the Hilton Honors terms and conditions -

5th Night Free: For every Standard Room Reward stay of five or more nights, every 5th night is free. Members can utilize the 5th Night Free benefit on an unlimited number of stays annually. Applies only to five consecutive nights within the same full Points Standard Room Reward stay at the same property, up to 20 nights, when confirmed at time of booking.
Old Dec 11, 18, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

It appears that is correct, although it still doesn't make sense. I was also just looking for the standard room.

If it becomes available I will just call back, cancel and re-book for the 5 nights in a row. My point was that it shouldn't matter when the "free" night is, if it is still 5 nights.
Old Dec 11, 18, 1:03 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by brendanwp View Post
It appears that is correct, although it still doesn't make sense. I was also just looking for the standard room.

If it becomes available I will just call back, cancel and re-book for the 5 nights in a row. My point was that it shouldn't matter when the "free" night is, if it is still 5 nights.
It is not quite clear what is it that Hilton Honors is not allowing you to do. If a standard room is available for all 5 nights in a row, just cancel and re-book. But from your initial post it seems that there is no standard room availability for the Sunday night. Are you trying to have them book you into a higher room category? If yes, that won't work. If it is a standard room ten it is OK that it costs a different amount of points on different dates, you'll still receive the 5th night free but the overall cost will be a bit higher.
Old Dec 11, 18, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Standard room award availability (80k points) was available for nights 1,2,4 & 5.

There was no award availability for night 3. However I could book the same base level room for $$ for night 3. That is what I will do if this doesn't work out. So I would get 5 nights for the price of one, which is still a good deal.
Old Dec 11, 18, 1:52 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
5th night free, as in you book a 5-night stay and your 5th night is free. whether it's calculated as a 20% discount or the actual points rate of the 5th night or whatever is irrelevant, you don't have a 5-night booking. You can't club a 3 night and a 2 night stay or whatever and make up your own rules.
Old Dec 11, 18, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
So I would get 5 nights for the price of one, which is still a good deal.
Huh?
iskingolf likes this.
Old Dec 11, 18, 8:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Honors
You must book 5 nights in a row in points and then you only have to pay 4 nights' points. That's how the system works. Unfortunately "5th night free" is not up to your own interpretations... I also don't see anything that "does not make sense" in this rule. All the hotel/airline programs require award availability, don't they?
Old Dec 12, 18, 5:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise View Post
Huh?
That one threw me too, I guess the OP is saying using points for four nights and paying for one gets him five for one.
Old Dec 12, 18, 7:58 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*

It sure matters when it is clearly defined in the program terms...
Old Dec 12, 18, 8:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Standard room award availability (80k points) was available for nights 1,2,4 & 5.

There was no award availability for night 3. However I could book the same base level room for $$ for night 3. That is what I will do if this doesn't work out. So I would get 5 nights for the price of one, which is still a good deal.
It makes perfect sense. There is no award availability for the one night you wanted it. Yet you expect them to give it to you because there is availability on the days around it. Not how it works at all
Old Jan 24, 21, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Slightly different question here - they have standard room types at the Mango House LXR for 2 Double Bed and 1 King Bed. They have 3 nights of 2 Double Bed and @ night of 1 King Bed available. Any way that would work to get the 5th night free? Anyone have luck getting Hilton to allow this?
Old Jan 25, 21, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by ac737 View Post
Slightly different question here - they have standard room types at the Mango House LXR for 2 Double Bed and 1 King Bed. They have 3 nights of 2 Double Bed and @ night of 1 King Bed available. Any way that would work to get the 5th night free? Anyone have luck getting Hilton to allow this?
You need a single reservation of 5 consecutive nights. It's not clear from your post if this is available for one of the room types - the type you least fancy. If this is the case, then I'd just book the (e.g.) twin room and add a note requesting a king bed if possible. I've been successful doing that

If NO run of 5 consecutive nights is available, there's no harm trying through customer service or with the hotel directly. But don't hold your breath: 40-room hotels with rates going north from $1000 or so a night are likely to be sticky on points-stays - especially where these are at "from" rates as attractive as they are at this hotel.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: