Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Startled by an "... updated your address on your account" email notification

Old Nov 29, 18, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold

I have received an email notification today which says that I have updated my address on my account. It passes most of the "sniff tests", as it has my status and points balance correct etc and hovering over the address and even the click box to login to my account seems to be real. Obviously I was startled as I have not done so and assumed the worst!

When logging in properly through my browser and using my long and complicated password (thank you LastPass) I was relieved and pleased to see that I have not been hacked, nothing is changed, nobody has spent my points etc etc.

Is this a IT flaw, or a more sophisticated scam than I can spot? Anybody got any ideas?
Old Nov 29, 18, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you sure you haven't been hacked? Maybe the points just haven't been deducted yet and the transaction doesn't show. Changing the email is often the first step and should be viewed as evidence that someone probably did enter your account without authorization.
Old Nov 29, 18, 7:18 am
Original Poster

When I logged in I changed one of the telephone numbers and have just got an identical email with the same links etc so it probably is legitimate.

The contact emails had not been changed, and none of the personal details had been changed. The startling email notified me that my address had been changed. when I logged in nothing had changed at all - hence why I queried in IT glitch.

No transactions have been made and no forward bookings.
Old Nov 29, 18, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Are you sure you haven't been hacked? Maybe the points just haven't been deducted yet and the transaction doesn't show. Changing the email is often the first step and should be viewed as evidence that someone probably did enter your account without authorization.
The OP stated nothing had been changed, although changing the password would be wise. I see many emails saying a change has been made to my account and they are getting much better making it look legit to entice clicking a link within the message. But when I look real close the URLs have a very minor change that would take me to a phony webpage that most likely request my password (no, I do not click those links so just a guess). Usually a group of email addresses get leaked so it's a good idea to spread the word to remind others to be on the lookout. Personally, I use unique usernames for my accounts so I will have a clue (not definitive) idea where they got the address. It confuses some when you tell them your address is [email protected].
Old Nov 30, 18, 3:11 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
I got the same as OP and was confused. My account is untouched what I see. Weird.
Old Nov 30, 18, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
I got the same as OP and was confused. My account is untouched what I see. Weird.
But reassuring to know that we are not alone

I will put it down as an IT glitch for now ... whilst I go and look at my Marriott/Starwood accounts
Old Nov 30, 18, 9:49 am

Also got this email, with no details seemingly having been changed.
Old Nov 30, 18, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
My wife's and my account have both received the e-mail in the last 24 hours, both saying our address has been updated. I have checked personal details, points/redemptions and bookings, and everything looks fine. At least there is consistency (e-mail says address change, no actual changes seem to have been made and no points taken) between all the posters who've reported receiving this e-mail on this thread.
Old Nov 30, 18, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
But reassuring to know that we are not alone

I will put it down as an IT glitch for now ... whilst I go and look at my Marriott/Starwood accounts
Prudence says at least change the account password. The scammers are learning/using new tricks every day. Even though the message looks legit there may be something buried deep that you're not seeing. Spoofing the sender info is not tough. Very subtle changes to links can take you places you don't want to be. Even a simple web beacon can be used to verify the email address is monitored and they can ask a higher rate than an unknown when selling addresses.
Old Nov 30, 18, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United Premier 1K
Glad I am not the only one this happened to! This actually happened several weeks ago, and when I logged in I also saw nothing changed. I changed my password just to be on the same side.
Old Dec 1, 18, 8:08 am

Programs: WN A & CP, AA EXP, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by JetSet05 View Post
Glad I am not the only one this happened to! This actually happened several weeks ago, and when I logged in I also saw nothing changed. I changed my password just to be on the same side.
Same here about 6 weeks ago.

I called the diamond line and they said they the last change to my account was a year ago when I changed my address.
Old Dec 1, 18, 8:30 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA (airline status-free leisure traveler), HH Diamond
I received the same email a few days ago. Like most other subsequent posters here, I checked my account, found no changes, then changed my password.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: