Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton by Hilton Berlin City East Side Gallery {DEU}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hampton by Hilton Berlin City East Side Gallery {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Arrow Hampton by Hilton Berlin City East Side Gallery {DEU}

I recently spent three nights at this Hampton. The hotel had opened two weeks prior to my stay.

There were several issues, including fire alarms going off (not routine tests), the gym not open (builders still working inside) and the lifts out of order at random times of the day.

The rooms were fine and spotlessly clean. But for a business trip where the use of meetings room area was important and some down time in the gym, it was a pain to leave the building due to the alarms and walk up to my 7th floor room.

Would I be reasonable in claiming under the 100% satisfaction guarantee or am I being petty?

Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:44 am

I think that conceptually, a claim is valid in that the property does not sound like it was fully completed or able to operate in a manner which one would expect of a functional hotel. However, I suspect that the pushback you will receive on this forum is that you stayed the full three days with these persistent issues rather than raising the matter on site and seeking resolution there (such as through a transfer to another property). When people suffer through issues for many days and then seek compensation after the fact, it is perceived by some as opportunistic rather than born out of a desire to truly resolve the issue (which would have to have happened on-site).

If you did try to address the issues while there but just did not state that here then that is an important part of the story which is missing.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the response.

The lift, gym and fire alarm issue was for everyone, not just me and there was very little that could be done about it. These were not personal issues so the Hilton team would have been aware of them. Notices were put outside the lifts and a note on the gym door.

They offered a courtesy drink in the bar.

But you’re quite right, I could have moved to a different property. But there was a reason why I stayed at this Hilton and that was to be close to the Mercedes area. The next Hilton is 3-4 miles away.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by eastflyer123
But you’re quite right, I could have moved to a different property. But there was a reason why I stayed at this Hilton and that was to be close to the Mercedes area. The next Hilton is 3-4 miles away.
It sounds to me, then, that even once aware of this property's shortcomings, you did the cost/benefit and decided that the advantages of this property outweighed the downsides. While I'm usually strongly on the side of the guest in these matters, I have trouble advocating for that position here.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:49 am
Original Poster

But the property still didn’t offer the advertised services. Some “shortcomings” can be inconveniences and not give 100% satisfaction (as per the guarantee) but that doesn’t mean one must always move property or accept the dissatisfaction in its entirety.

I could argue that if I accepted a move to another Hilton with working lifts, a gym, and no fire alarm, I would then have to put up with the inconvenience of travelling to the original area, which could then be another claim under the guarantee.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:59 am

Definitely can see both sides of the discussion, as I noted. It seems like your position is set, or at least becoming set, so why not give the claim a try?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Update.
They refunded the whole stay.
:-)
Old May 28, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
I have to do a 7-night stay and I have a choice of Hampton by Hilton Berlin City East Side Gallery or Hampton by Hilton Berlin City Centre Alexanderplatz - not sure which one is better?
Old May 28, 2021, 11:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by angeloedades
I have to do a 7-night stay and I have a choice of Hampton by Hilton Berlin City East Side Gallery or Hampton by Hilton Berlin City Centre Alexanderplatz - not sure which one is better?
They are both good. They have similar standard rooms, compact bathrooms with good shower. Both offered breakfast better than the average Hampton. I would suggest to choose based on preferred location. Both are few minutes walk from public transport.
angeloedades likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by MP001
They are both good. They have similar standard rooms, compact bathrooms with good shower. Both offered breakfast better than the average Hampton. I would suggest to choose based on preferred location. Both are few minutes walk from public transport.
Thanks! My stay has just been extended and my location is flexible on both halves of my trip so I am going to try both.

I am not really a big breakfast person at any hotel so this will be a choice based on location as suggested for each half of the trip - thanks!
Old May 31, 2021, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I haven't stayed at either of these two properties, only a few times at the one near Ku'damm. However, I know exactly where these two hotels are located, and the one at Alexanderplatz has much better access to the overall transportation network than the East Side Gallery one: U-Bahn (3 lines), S-Bahn (the same lines which run through the WarschauerStr. station), RB trains, several different tram lines, as well as main bus lines.

Depending on what you plan on doing while you are there, you might just find yourself always going over Alexanderplatz (or connecting there) if you end up staying at the East Side Gallery location. However, WarschauerStr. station is only 3 stops away from Alexanderplatz station (5 or 6 minutes). So, I guess it might just come down to the price each property is charging for your stay (if it's coming out of your own pocket).
angeloedades likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 1:12 am
Suspended

Thanks! My stay has just been extended and my location is flexible on both halves of my trip
Yeah, but the East Side Gallery location is not good. You'll be much more flexible off the Alexanderplatz location. There's really no point staying at that Hampton as long as the area is dead due to all the club closures and such.
angeloedades likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 11:46 am

Is this location good for an overnight transit stay? Arriving BER around 8pm and taking the train out next day.

How do I get here from the BER airport using public transportation?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take the direct S-Bahn to either Ostkreuz or Ostbanhhof (for the latter you can also use the Regional Trains) then walk or take a bus a few stops

It’s a good HbH, breakfast is great
Old Sep 23, 2021, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by anchor79
Is this location good for an overnight transit stay? Arriving BER around 8pm and taking the train out next day.
Very good if you are taking the train out of Ostbahnhof. For the Hauptbahnhof slightly less so, but this is Berlin, so an easy S-Bahn ride to the station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.