Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

26k points from Diamond- wondering if its worth it and if so how to get there.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Enterprise Gold

So I am 26k points away from making Diamond status next year and I am wondering if people think it is worthwhile. I browsed the benefits and they do not seem wildly better than Gold but I am motivated a bit for the better internet and bigger multipliers. I am also concerned about the cost of getting there- my most recent stay was a 4 night in LA at double points for 26k points. I am sure that spending $1000 on more stays is not worthwhile. Are their any creative ways people know to get me over the hump? Or at least what the most cost efficient might be?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Only Base Points count toward earning status. Double points are not of any value for earning status. You would need to spend $2600 to get 26K base points. It is not worth it.
If you are a U.S. resident, you can get the Chase Aspire credit card for a $450 annual fee that comes with Diamond status. There is no other cost efficient way.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Enterprise Gold
Well you just blew my mind, I assumed all these double points I have been using were getting me closer.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

How many stays do you have? Hilton makes it relatively easy (compared to other programs) that you only need 30 stays to hit diamond. Might be easier than spending $2,600.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Almost exactly the same right now. Need 11 stays, 17 nights or 26K points. None of those are going to happen!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
MisterMarlowe - Welcome to FlyerTalk. I would seriously consider jbeckett's excellent advice.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
Over the summer I completed a fast track challenge from Gold to Diamond with only 10 stays. I am not sure if they will offer a similar one or make it less stays, but you could always call and ask.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also (for those based in the USA), the Amex Hilton Aspire card gives Diamond status for just holding it, and it may cost you less than $0 to hold it!

Yes, the card has a $450 annual fee. But in addition to Diamond status, it also gives:

A free night cert every year (including the first year when you also may be able to get a signup bonus)
A $250 airline credit (which can be achieved by buying 2 AA e-gift cards from AA online)
A $250 resort credit (valid only at resorts on a particular list)

If you redeem the free night cert each year for a hotel that would cost at least $200 including taxes, and you can get the $250 airline credit, you're down to net $0 AF or lower. If your hotel night alone is at least $450 including taxes, you're down to net $0 AF or lower. Many circumstances lead to net negative AF.

And that's not counting any value you might put on the Diamond status itself. I've run into the occasional hotel that comps me parking for being Diamond, thought the average hotel is not likely to do that. But if you get lounge access someplace only as a Diamond and that gives you tangible money savings on food, then you can add that to the above calculation.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Diamond is worth allowing Hilton to pay me to carry their credit card.

It would not be worth $2600 of incremental stays that I didn't otherwise need to do.

I'm generally happy with my Hilton stays, but I've learned that upgrades aren't really part of the system anymore. Or...perhaps properties just see me as an Aspire Diamond and don't upgrade me. I do about 40 paid nights a year for business travel plus 5-10 award nights per year. I'd be a Gold without a credit card.

Aspire also has kicked in a few odd $40-50 off promotions for various Hilton brands. Sort of random, can't really count on them, but I've hit 3 since having the card. They just credit to your bill - you don't need to book differently or do anything at the hotel to get the credit. There are like 100 other "$X off $Y spend at Z merchant" but most of these are not useful to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.