Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Received a personal text message from a DoubleTree about my upcoming stay!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Received a personal text message from a DoubleTree about my upcoming stay!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:46 pm

Stumbled upon this on the Global Privacy Statement on the Hilton website. So, those of us that don't want to be bothered should tell the Front Desk or use "STOP" to block future texts. Although I firmly believe this should be opt in, this is better than nothing.

Choices - Marketing Communications
To opt out of text messages, tell the hotel front desk that you do not want to receive text messages from the hotel or reply “STOP” to the message you received.
Source: https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/policy/global-privacy-statement/index.html#Choices

Last edited by writerguyfl; Nov 28, 2018 at 10:48 pm Reason: Indenting fuction still doesn't work on the "new" software.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Get texts often. When I reply I’ve never gotten a human reply. Makes a text pointless.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Stumbled upon this on the Global Privacy Statement on the Hilton website. So, those of us that don't want to be bothered should tell the Front Desk or use "STOP" to block future texts. Although I firmly believe this should be opt in, this is better than nothing.
Choices - Marketing Communications
To opt out of text messages, tell the hotel front desk that you do not want to receive text messages from the hotel or reply “STOP” to the message you received.
Source: https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/policy/global-privacy-statement/index.html#Choices
I don't believe that covers this. The section you mention is about Hilton sending marketing materials. It has nothing to do with them contacting you in relationship to a transaction (hotel booking, purchase of miles, etc...) with them.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I don't believe that covers this. The section you mention is about Hilton sending marketing materials. It has nothing to do with them contacting you in relationship to a transaction (hotel booking, purchase of miles, etc...) with them.
I'm going to disagree...mostly because the last text I got from a hotel after I checked in was basically a marketing message for their restaurant. I view any text from a hotel as marketing. But, I definitively understand your point-of-view.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You're right...they really should have a separate selection where guests can indicate how they want to be contacted by properties about stays. That's separate from marketing materials from Honors, Hilton corporate, HGVC, etc.

I don't want texts.
I'm happy to have them alert me or send me offers in the app.
I don't mind emails, although I rarely read them.
I definitely don't want them phoning my mobile.

Seems simple to set up, a way to make sure none of your guests feel like you've crossed a privacy line, and a good way to move more traffic through the app, which is what they want anyway.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
I got one of these after I checked into the Hilton Lake Buena Vista back in May. They checked in to see if the room was acceptable after we checked in. They sent another text the next day to see how our stay was going. Each time the text was signed with a person's name so I knew it wasn't a marketing text. I found the messages thoughtful and not bothersome at all.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Staley Cornell
I got one of these after I checked into the Hilton Lake Buena Vista back in May. They checked in to see if the room was acceptable after we checked in. They sent another text the next day to see how our stay was going. Each time the text was signed with a person's name so I knew it wasn't a marketing text. I found the messages thoughtful and not bothersome at all.
Yep agree........ I've just got back from Hilton Nottingham and I got a text on route asking my requirements, I also got a text after check in asking if everything was ok with my room and another one mid afternoon asking for stay feedback.
I thought it was quite thoughtful and potentially helpful.
Staley Cornell likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by Staley Cornell
The first time that happened to me was last week, I had never heard of this before. After I checked into the Doubletree Cambridge Boston, a person reached out and asked me if everything was okay. And after I checked out, a different person texted me to see if there were any issues with my stay. It was surprisingly nice, but I had a perfectly fine stay. I wonder how it would have gone if there was some issue, but if there was some issue, I would have texted them first or brought it up at check out.
Staley Cornell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.