Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Received a personal text message from a DoubleTree about my upcoming stay!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Received a personal text message from a DoubleTree about my upcoming stay!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Thumbs up Received a personal text message from a DoubleTree about my upcoming stay!

I've been a Diamond member with Hilton for more than 5 years, but I've never seen this happening before. Today after I checked in (using the app) for my stay tomorrow, I received a text message from the hotel (a DoubleTree Hotel in Florida) saying that they are looking forward to seeing me tomorrow, and that please do not hesitate to let them know if I need any special assistance. Initially I actually thought it was a scam, but after realizing it is genuine, I am really pleasantly surprised by this personal touch. When I traveled in Asia I did sometimes receive email greetings from Hilton hotels, but this is the first time I received a greeting from a US hotel.

Anyone had similar experiences before?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:15 pm

I’ve received similar texts from several US properties, dating back a few years.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I received a text from Parc 55 in San Francisco. Not sure they are personalized though Seemed like a generic text.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
My husband got one a couple of weeks ago before our Doubletree Lake Buena Vista stay. We actually had a question about the reservation (it was made through Concur and he couldn't see all the details on the app) so he texted & asked about it. It was helpful - faster than a phone call would have been to get the question answered.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:58 am

I get these almost without fail from the Holton-affiliated properties where I stay often. Others, I'd say 25 percent of the time. With Hyatt, it's either an email or text, without fail.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Yes, with several Hiltons and HGIs. And I despise it. It is a useless annoyance. I wish there was a way to opt out of it at the global level. (Or better yet, that the default was 'no' and that you had to opt in)

That said - it is about the one thing that can get me to complete the post-stay surveys - so that I can complain about this practice.
nancypants and writerguyfl like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Had a few of these too in the last 18 months (without checking in online/ via app). Some in Europe, some in New Zealand. Hilton and Doubletree.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:34 am

I've had these from the majority of Hilton family properties I've used in the UK this year.

You'll probably also receive one mid stay and a follow up after check out.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bse118
Yes, with several Hiltons and HGIs. And I despise it. It is a useless annoyance. I wish there was a way to opt out of it at the global level. (Or better yet, that the default was 'no' and that you had to opt in)

That said - it is about the one thing that can get me to complete the post-stay surveys - so that I can complain about this practice.
Geez. It's not anymore intrusive then bring asked at checkin desk the same question. In fact if you have a need it allows them time to provide it. Also the number works even when not staying. Thus can send a text whenever you want to ask something.

It not like they flood you with texts. Just a simple do you need anything, one time.

I keep the Hilton Austin airports text number stored. Before I do OLCI I text and ask to be upgraded to the room I like.

BTW - it's not a global or Hilton thing. It's property thing.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Geez. It's not anymore intrusive then bring asked at checkin desk the same question. In fact if you have a need it allows them time to provide it. Also the number works even when not staying. Thus can send a text whenever you want to ask something.

It not like they flood you with texts. Just a simple do you need anything, one time.

I keep the Hilton Austin airports text number stored. Before I do OLCI I text and ask to be upgraded to the room I like.

Right, I know it's not a global thing. What I want is a global opt-out: so I don't have to go through the process with each hotel that does it. Just a setting in my account that tells all hotels I don't want/need this. I don't have a regular hotel - I stay in lots of different locations/cities/hotels throughout the year.

The texts from the last hotel I stayed that did this went something like this:

Hotel: Welcome to the hotel Mr. Bse118. Let us at the front desk know if you need anything
Me: Thanks, please stop sending me texts.
Hotel (some time later, same number): Hi Mr. Bse118. This is the housekeeping department. Let us know if you need anything.
Me: Did you read the last text I sent?
Hotel: Silence.

Interacting with a bot is not customer service. It's customer annoyance. I know where the front desk is. I know how to dial a telephone.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by bse118; Nov 24, 2018 at 11:31 am
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO

It's an annoyance. I didn't consent to them using my mobile number for this. At some UK properties I get 3 or 4 during a 1 night stay, even sometimes after I've checked out.

I don't want it, so it is annoying that there is no way to say stop it.
bse118 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
Different strokes. Happens to me all the time and I love it. I always can get simple requests (breakfast coupons for instance) without calling. Using the app and this it is all so easy.

Originally Posted by todderz
It's an annoyance. I didn't consent to them using my mobile number for this. At some UK properties I get 3 or 4 during a 1 night stay, even sometimes after I've checked out.

Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
Different strokes. Happens to me all the time and I love it. I always can get simple requests (breakfast coupons for instance) without calling. Using the app and this it is all so easy.

Barbados Hilton. From the concierge. I replied with questions (e.g., procedure to attend horseraces) and a request for a restaurant reservation. My questions were answered and reservation made. Can't beat that.

I arrived at 3 a.m., yet I had been upgraded to a 270 degree view suite. Another nice touch. Great resort.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
It’s always nice when these systems work out when you want the info (and that’s all you get!). However, I’d gladly forgo a “your room is ready” text for invisibility from incessantant Hilton Grand Vacations junk calls.

If you want privacy, then... Dont. Give. Them. Your. Number.

Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by todderz

mine have always been simple one time texts. More along lines of here's additional way to contact FD. Agree 3 or 4 times would be annoying. Let property GM know if that's happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.