Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Booked rate for 300, now app says they'll charge 800

Booked rate for 300, now app says they'll charge 800

Old Nov 19, 18, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK elite+ = *gold, MarriWood Titanium + Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Angry Booked for 300, now app says they'll charge 800 - rate change after confirmed booking

Hi everyone,
I couldn't find anything about that here when I did a quick search: booked a month ago for 2 nights. Queen Standard room 300 EUR total.
Now the fancy app check-in invitation had my attention, I looked at it to see if they pre upgraded me (Diamond).

App suddenly says 800 EUR (400 per night instead of 190), Queen executive.
I am used to see an upgraded room type in the app even up to multiple days before Arrival, but the rate always stayed the same as far as I remember correctly.

I looked up the original Reservation confirmation email form 1 month ago, it says 190 per night, 380 total. I have 3 hours left for a free cancellation and could just go with a Marriott nearby instead.

It might just be a glitch and everything could be fine when I show my Reservation email... Or would they charge my the 800 bucks and tell me to write a complaint to get it resolved?
I just want to avoid Major Drama. Last month it took Marriott agents 1 hour on the phone to "fix" a points reservation, with my account ending 50k points short, and when I canceled that in time it never got refunded, so I did spend 3 hours and waiting 3 weeks without getting my Points back so far…

I just want to avoid stuff like this here, getting charged almost 500 EUR too much when I check in or not getting a refund for a last minute cancellation if I switch Hotels now (altough Policy says 3.5 Hours left for free cancellation, 6 PM my time zone), and I just want to avoid hour long complaints and work to get my money back. Of course this happens on a very busy day…

Any advice?

Thanks!

Last edited by zap7; Nov 19, 18 at 10:27 am Reason: Changed title so other can more easily find it with a search (added keywords "rate change" and "after confirmed booking" to title)
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Phone the hotel and confirm and make a decision based on that. (Although if confirmation email states the original price, then there's 0% chance I'd be paying more than that.)
zap7 and jblueflyer like this.
Old Nov 19, 18, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just call the property. Perhaps it's an error or perhaps you inadverdently selected a paid upgrade? Not worth worrying about anything until you are off the phone with the property itself.
zap7 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:41 am

Programs: AC*100K, HHonors Diamond
This same thing happened to me at the Beverly. Hills Hilton. They upgraded me but they also increased the price of 3 of the 4 nights. I caught the errror at checkout and they were able to correct - although not without some attitude from the front office staff.
zap7 and jblueflyer like this.
Old Nov 19, 18, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK elite+ = *gold, MarriWood Titanium + Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks everyone! Just for future reference if other people should run into the same problem and find this thread: I did not do any changes to the reservation, I did not request any Upgrades, I was very busy with reaching my MarriWood Lifetime Platinum so I only opened the Hilton App once after making that reservation to book another 2 nights in another city, and then never touched any of those reservations (or the app) again until I opened it today and this thing had happened.

I just called the property as two of you suggested, they confirmed the rate I had originally booked and said "must be an Hilton Honors error when they transferred it during the System update". After more than 1.000 nights in Hotels I have seen a lot so I just wanted to be sure and also asked them to please email a confirmation to me. It took 2 minutes for the email to arrive, which now had the upgraded room and the old rate (like it should be and always was with all my other Hilton reservations). Very friendly call on both sides, took 3 minutes to get someone on the line and then less than 60 seconds to resolve it (+2 minutes for the email to arrive).The app is also showing the upgraded room and the correct rate (the original price I booked) again now.
Now let's hope they'll upgrade me further on Arrival

Again for future reference: Did something like this happen to anyone else, like to dinotoon and me? What did you do to resolve it?
flapland and englisha like this.

Last edited by zap7; Nov 19, 18 at 10:24 am Reason: added info on what the apps shows
Old Nov 19, 18, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Not once have I reviewed any existing booking after the fact. I do look over my bill at checkout time, but I always keep emails so kind of a non issue. That’s all the proof I need.
Old Nov 19, 18, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; KLM Flying Blue Gold; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Honors Diamond
Happened to me for an upcoming reservation at the DoubleTree Madrid Prado, room price increased 50 euro per night.
I emailed the hotel and it was immediately rectified. It looks like it is an issue related to the recent IT update.
Old Nov 19, 18, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

I got a little cautious after Marriott charged my card for an event I was hosting (1 month in advance as agreed) and then they billed my card again for it on the day of the event with the pre-authorization they had for my room I was staying in the night before. I complained immediately when they showed me the bill at checkout, but they said it was already done, I would need to contact Accounting, and everyone from Accounting had left the Building at 5 PM so they would not be able to refund it while I was there (it took multiple calls and weeks to get that sorted out - in that case incompenent agents making a mistake, Manager not on site, immediately followed by Christmas + new years...). That's why I try to avoid handling those things at checkout now. It's also quite common for me to arrive at 11 PM . I really don't want to have a discussion then with no manager present and no options for me...

Another time Marriott charged me 4x for a prepaid rate for the same night (at the time of booking, at the beginning of the two subsequent months, and 1 week ahead of the stay), I almost didn't see it because the bill I received at checkout was correct, mentioning the rate just once, I stayed 40 times at that property that year and it took checking of 4 credit card Statements (4 months)... That time a quick call to Accounting got me the 3 refunds…
I think I don't even want to know what else went wrong that I did not discover...

Last edited by zap7; Nov 19, 18 at 1:01 pm
Old Nov 19, 18, 2:06 pm

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
I think I don't even want to know what else went wrong that I did not discover...
Scary ! I usually don't bother cross checking these things as there are systems that catch any errors/discrepancies fairly quickly. This thread makes me wonder otherwise. That said, I agree with @zap7 in that I don't want to know what else went wrong that I did not discover
Old Nov 19, 18, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
It's pretty worrying to hear that the IT update could cause something like this... I actually just reviewed, cancelled and rebooked lots of rooms due to better prices being available in the Asia sale. All existing bookings were reflecting what I expected to see.
Old Nov 19, 18, 2:26 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
It happened to me before. It happens when the hotel upgrades your room, then the app will often reflect the BAR for the upgraded room rather than the original rate you booked. However, there is no issue as the check-in agent will see your original rate.
Old Nov 19, 18, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zap7 View Post
I got a little cautious after Marriott charged my card for an event I was hosting (1 month in advance as agreed) and then they billed my card again for it on the day of the event with the pre-authorization they had for my room I was staying in the night before. I complained immediately when they showed me the bill at checkout, but they said it was already done, I would need to contact Accounting, and everyone from Accounting had left the Building at 5 PM so they would not be able to refund it while I was there (it took multiple calls and weeks to get that sorted out - in that case incompenent agents making a mistake, Manager not on site, immediately followed by Christmas + new years...). That's why I try to avoid handling those things at checkout now. It's also quite common for me to arrive at 11 PM . I really don't want to have a discussion then with no manager present and no options for me...

Another time Marriott charged me 4x for a prepaid rate for the same night (at the time of booking, at the beginning of the two subsequent months, and 1 week ahead of the stay), I almost didn't see it because the bill I received at checkout was correct, mentioning the rate just once, I stayed 40 times at that property that year and it took checking of 4 credit card Statements (4 months)... That time a quick call to Accounting got me the 3 refunds…
Time to file fraud case with credit card company. One time is mistake, four times can and should IMO result in merchant account being suspended.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
From what I have been told when an upgrade is applied they need to tick a box that says it is complimentary otherwise it will be charged at the new room rate.

From a hotels point it is easier to just blame some random event like the IT update. The real problem would be high staff turnover and like any new job a few mistakes get made.
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
I always have a printout of my reservation with me that details the rates on it. I have stayed in hotels hundreds of nights and have only had to use the confirmation email a small number of times. The desk staff always made it right. I usually don't bother to check the rates in the app before I arrive.
Old Nov 19, 18, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by zap7 View Post
Thanks everyone! Just for future reference if other people should run into the same problem and find this thread: I did not do any changes to the reservation, I did not request any Upgrades, I was very busy with reaching my MarriWood Lifetime Platinum so I only opened the Hilton App once after making that reservation to book another 2 nights in another city, and then never touched any of those reservations (or the app) again until I opened it today and this thing had happened.

I just called the property as two of you suggested, they confirmed the rate I had originally booked and said "must be an Hilton Honors error when they transferred it during the System update". After more than 1.000 nights in Hotels I have seen a lot so I just wanted to be sure and also asked them to please email a confirmation to me. It took 2 minutes for the email to arrive, which now had the upgraded room and the old rate (like it should be and always was with all my other Hilton reservations). Very friendly call on both sides, took 3 minutes to get someone on the line and then less than 60 seconds to resolve it (+2 minutes for the email to arrive).The app is also showing the upgraded room and the correct rate (the original price I booked) again now.
Now let's hope they'll upgrade me further on Arrival

Again for future reference: Did something like this happen to anyone else, like to dinotoon and me? What did you do to resolve it?
Thanks for the update

Search this Thread
Search Engine: