Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Digital check in How?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by eric_o
My experience has been limited to the US. I have never seen a complimentary upgrade available through OLCI.
It's definitely a YMMV, so no one here can say that it absolutely is or is not going to happen. My stays are 100% domestic US. I always do OLCI when it is available, and select a room that I can be satisfied with. I almost never opt for the Digital Key because I hate how slow it is when trying to do what it is actually intended for - unlocking the door.

That said, at least half a dozen times this year I have gotten to the front desk and been told that I have been "upgraded from my selected room". On one occasion I DID opt for the digital key because it had been a really long travel day, and received the notification on my phone that my room was ready. I bypassed the front desk and went straight to the room, only to discover that the door wouldn't open. I tried like 7 times in a row - like you do - before trudging back down to the desk. The clerk apologized and told me that he had noticed I was a Diamond and moved me to a suite.

So, it happens. I average 40-60 stays most years. Most are for business, and all I really care about is a comfortable bed and a place to shower. Obviously you can't prove a negative, so some will say that I would have received more upgrades if I hadn't used OLCI - but that really isn't my highest priority. If I am traveling alone, and have a choice between a room that is 750 square feet, with a shower/bed/desk/closet, and one that is 2,000 square feet with a shower/bed/desk/closet, (and bonus points if it has a bunch of features that I won't use - like a jacuzzi, a wet bar, and in one memorable case - a private sauna), the smaller room is just fine with me, as long as it meets my other preferences regarding floor, non smoking, and proximity to elevator.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
One of my biggest complaints about Digital Key is that you still need to go to the front desk to request breakfast vouchers and myway items. Why can't they be delivered to your room ahead of time??
LadyShiva likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
One of my biggest complaints about Digital Key is that you still need to go to the front desk to request breakfast vouchers and myway items. Why can't they be delivered to your room ahead of time??
I don't usually get my way snacks as an elite, preferring the points. However, I agree that it's frustrating that sometimes the water bottles are in the room, and sometimes they thrust two bottles of water at me when my bags are fairly full and there's nowhere to put them.

As far as breakfast vouchers go, most of the hotels I've stayed at with breakfast for Elites have switched to a restaurant list system rather than vouchers. However, one Hilton Garden Inn that I visit somewhat regularly still uses vouchers. However, they can be a bit inconsistent with upgrades, sometimes doing so ahead of time, and sometimes it's up to the clerk upon arrival. A couple of visits back they cheerfully handed over the keys and directed me to the elevator; I opened the door, and the room was completely disheveled with no signs of a housekeeper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.