FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Strategy for 4 people? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1939861-strategy-4-people.html)

jmorgans Nov 10, 2018 7:22 am

Strategy for 4 people?

I am a newly minted Diamond and I’m making a reservation at a resort (Diplomat in Hollywood FL if it matters) for my family of 4. The problem is they are only offering king bedded standard rooms, or 2 doubles, neither of which works for us by itself. Ideally I only need 1 suite but second choice would be two connecting standard rooms. What is my best strategy here? Book king room and request upgrade? I’d be nervous about not getting the upgrade. Book king and 2 doubles and request connecting? In that case if I get an upgrade I don’t want to be stuck with a second room.

TIA!

Abidjan Nov 10, 2018 7:44 am

Others will have more/better guidance, but from the start I would presume you will not receive an upgrade.

BlueZebra Nov 10, 2018 7:45 am

If you need the larger room (remember there may be fire regulations limiting rooms to 3 people, or even 2) you book the larger room.

You never presume you will get the upgrade.

bitterproffit Nov 10, 2018 7:49 am

The location definitely matters. Those suites will be harder to come by in a resort. Especially if you are during high season.

If you need a suite, get a suite.

Often1 Nov 10, 2018 11:23 am

I would call the property and ask for a manager so you don't get punted back to the toll-free reservations people. Explain your needs and perhaps there are specific rooms which may meet your needs. Relying on website booking classes and the like can mean missing out on specifics such as connecting rooms or that one room which has a pullout or whatever.

Depending on anything unconfirmed at booking is a bad idea, especially at places where upgrades and larger rooms may be scarce and they have you over the barrel at the front desk at check in.

Kagehitokiri Nov 10, 2018 12:16 pm

can you clarify ? 1 suite with 1 bed and 1 sofabed is same as room with 2 beds

ask about rollaway in double room or suite ? (both of which have 2 beds)

do they guarantee connecting when booking diplomat suite ?

website says all suites have sofabeds

can talk to in-house reservations at hotel first, then possibly manager level

if paying, bookings via Signature agents may get one-category upgrade if available at checkin, could ask if they upgrade corner suite to presidential suite if available

if award, could ask what redemption options are available

MSPeconomist Nov 10, 2018 12:23 pm

If OP dsoesn't have high status with Hilton, the chances of a free upgrade to a suite are approximately zero. OP should plan on not getting an upgrade.

justhere Nov 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30415635)
If OP dsoesn't have high status with Hilton, the chances of a free upgrade to a suite are approximately zero. OP should plan on not getting an upgrade.

OP's first six words???

MSPeconomist Nov 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by justhere (Post 30415807)
OP's first six words???

Sorry, I was looking at the OP's list of programs to the left of the post, under the username. There I see DL, AA, BA, SPG only.

GentleGiant Nov 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Phone or email the hotel and ask them what is the best solution.

We all rely upon the websites, but forget that hotels have phones and email and are happy to help.

Kagehitokiri Nov 10, 2018 3:24 pm

diplomatresort.com/contact-en.html

904 rooms 96 suites?

Often1 Nov 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by GentleGiant (Post 30415859)
Phone or email the hotel and ask them what is the best solution.

We all rely upon the websites, but forget that hotels have phones and email and are happy to help.

With phone being options 1-9 and email being # ten . People tend to forget that there are people in the hospitality industry who are hospitable and if you ask, you may find something. But, that takes a back-and-forth conversation.

Amelorn Nov 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by jmorgans (Post 30414810)
I am a newly minted Diamond and I’m making a reservation at a resort (Diplomat in Hollywood FL if it matters) for my family of 4. The problem is they are only offering king bedded standard rooms, or 2 doubles, neither of which works for us by itself. Ideally I only need 1 suite but second choice would be two connecting standard rooms. What is my best strategy here? Book king room and request upgrade? I’d be nervous about not getting the upgrade. Book king and 2 doubles and request connecting? In that case if I get an upgrade I don’t want to be stuck with a second room.

TIA!

Greetings from an exiled NY'er.

As someone who has extensively sampled FL Hilton properties from Key West to the Panhandle, I strongly recommend booking the category of room that you want. This is a market where upgrades tend to be scare, and clients willing to pay cash for the premium rooms are in abundance. I'd just book a suitable suite (1 king + 1 sofa bed in the living room are common) and call it a day. Fortunately, properties in the area (Boca, Hollywood, Lauderdale, Miami) can accommodate.