Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Worth a Complaint to Diamond Customer Service? (Housekeeping Left Door Open All Day)

Worth a Complaint to Diamond Customer Service? (Housekeeping Left Door Open All Day)

Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:25 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat

Stayed this week at a Homewood I've frequented 4-5 times per year for the last 2 years...

Anyway, returned to the room after a long day around 10PM to find the slide-over safety lock thing propping the door open.

Not wanting to chance things, I went straight to the FD and insisted the clerk come with me before I proceed into the room. Nothing was stolen or appeared to be damaged or missing. The clerk was apologetic and said they'd let the manager know. I checked out two days ago...No response yet. (I am willing to wait another week or so).

It's not THAT big of a deal in the fact that nothing was stolen or appeared to be disturbed...But disappointed the manager hasn't contacted me yet. If he doesn't, do you folks think this warrants a complaint? I'd probably just let it pass if the manager calls me yet and apologizes...But if not, thinking about writing in when I get back to my office next week.

Any thoughts from the HH gallery?

For the record, in close to 1000 nights (almost LT Diamond), I've previously complained and received compensation 4 times in my life, and have never had to result to writing corporate...All three previous were handled by the respective property managers).
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Your comments says that the desk clerk says that "they'd let the manager know." They did not say that the manager will contact you. Granted, the door should not have been left unlocked.

If you want to hear from the manager, then contact the manager. The Diamond Desk does not control the hotel. It is a hotel issue.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you want to speak with the manager, call the manager.

In reality, nothing much to be done other than fire the housekeeper if that's what you want done.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Wouldn't it of been easier to make a feedback via the app.

This normally gets a better response.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by loomis
If you want to hear from the manager, then contact the manager. The Diamond Desk does not control the hotel. It is a hotel issue.
While the DD does not control the hotel, of course, at least as of a couple years ago (fortunately haven't had to do this in some time) there was a channel through which they could open a case with a property. The management would have X amount of time to resolve the issue. This was useful in cases where property management was not directly responsive to the guest.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:01 pm

Mistakes happen. As you noted, this was "not THAT big of a deal" and you received an apology. Aside from the few minutes you spent with the hotel employee upon your return, you weren't really inconvenienced or damaged by the mistake.

Personally, all I would need was a sincere apology. I wouldn't even feel the need to speak to a manager. I'd never entertain contacting Hilton Corporate over a small mistake that had almost zero impact on me.

That said, other people might find this to be an egregious error, as it sort of relates to safety.
polinka and Often1 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:37 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I paraphrased in my OP...I was adamant to the FD staff that he notify the manager and that the manager contact me, either by email or by phone. The FD guy was very much in agreement with my concerns and assured me he’d leave a note for him right when he walked back to the FD.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I paraphrased in my OP...I was adamant to the FD staff that he notify the manager and that the manager contact me, either by email or by phone. The FD guy was very much in agreement with my concerns and assured me he’d leave a note for him right when he walked back to the FD.
The manager should probably have called, but personally I would call the manager myself if I wished to speak to him/her.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:38 pm

IMO drop it and move on...you suffered no consequences.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
ask yourself, is it really worth your time to pursue this anything further?
muji, polinka and Sisosig like this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It’s a mistake, certainly (though it could easily have been propped open only for a short time). You need to decide what you want. Is it a grovelling apology or firm action taken against the staff member. Or is it something else? You need to communicate this to the manager and see where that gets you. Personally, I would have a face to face discussion with the manager, impress on him that this (obviously) shouldn’t happen and might require retraining, and leave it at that.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: none
Make sure you emphasize how many nights you stay with the property and how important you think your status means.

When you get this issue resolved, please don't just post & run. Get back to us and let us know how the problem was corrected and how many points you got as compensation.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It’s a mistake, certainly (though it could easily have been propped open only for a short time). You need to decide what you want. Is it a grovelling apology or firm action taken against the staff member. Or is it something else? You need to communicate this to the manager and see where that gets you. Personally, I would have a face to face discussion with the manager, impress on him that this (obviously) shouldn’t happen and might require retraining, and leave it at that.
Agree - which is why giving feedback via the app during the stay allows for this to happen rapidly.

Once you have left the hotel and settled the bill it becomes much harder IMHO.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Make sure you emphasize how many nights you stay with the property and how important you think your status means.

When you get this issue resolved, please don't just post & run. Get back to us and let us know how the problem was corrected and how many points you got as compensation.
Ha, ha! Yes, the full DYKWIA routine is required!
Often1 and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I had something similar happen at the Hilton BKI. Leaving your room visibly open is really a big thing, in my opinion.
DiverDave, drphun and Segments like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.