Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Kept up till 2.30 am by hotel-sponsored function: appropriate compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kept up till 2.30 am by hotel-sponsored function: appropriate compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
My family and I were staying for a few nights at a favorite hotel a couple of years ago. The wedding group itself wasn't a problem, but the groups kids certainly were. The kids were not only running around without any supervision, but they were happily entering the little store the hotel has and taking food and drink non stop without paying for it. I not only complained, but mentioned the constant theft we were witnessing and the hotel manager took me aside and asked me to ignore everything I witnessed, as the Dad paying for the event was a VIP in the community with strong political ties.

I still stay at this hotel, but theft is theft, and disturbing all at the hotel until 2am without compensation certainly left me with a sour taste.

That said, my own wedding party back in the 90's at the Broadmoor got so carried away that the hotel called me that evening and demanded I meet the manager at my suite that I hadn't even stepped foot in yet. It was my wedding and the party lasted until 11pm not a big deal as we were out by the lake where the hotel bar is busy until midnight every Friday and Saturday night, but far away from most rooms. Apparently my best man decided to secure keys to my room and while he and the rest of the wedding party didn't do any actual damage, they thought it would be funny to turn all of the furniture upside down. I didn't think it was very cool, as my bride and I had a 6am flight the next morning to start our honeymoon. Manager wanted to kick us out, but I demanded to know why some employee gave keys to my room other than me. Since at the time I was a big spender at the hotel, they cut me some slack, but I also know the front desk employee that gave the keys to someone other than me was fired the next morning.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat; AS MVP Gold; BA Silver; LATAM Black; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; GHA Plat
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Had this happen to me until 4.30 am. Wrote a scathing review on trip advisor. Hotel offered $500 refund if I took it down. I refused.
OP here. Amusingly enough, I had written a really positive TripAdvisor review of the hotel just a few hours before all this happened. I see the hotel has now pinned my review as "Hotel's Favorite", so it's the first review anyone sees! In the future, I may wait till the stay is completely over before writing a review...
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat; AS MVP Gold; BA Silver; LATAM Black; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; GHA Plat
<...>

Last edited by Italian_Kayaker; Nov 7, 2018 at 10:43 am
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
My family and I were staying for a few nights at a favorite hotel a couple of years ago. The wedding group itself wasn't a problem, but the groups kids certainly were. The kids were not only running around without any supervision, but they were happily entering the little store the hotel has and taking food and drink non stop without paying for it. I not only complained, but mentioned the constant theft we were witnessing and the hotel manager took me aside and asked me to ignore everything I witnessed, as the Dad paying for the event was a VIP in the community with strong political ties.

I still stay at this hotel, but theft is theft, and disturbing all at the hotel until 2am without compensation certainly left me with a sour taste.

That said, my own wedding party back in the 90's at the Broadmoor got so carried away that the hotel called me that evening and demanded I meet the manager at my suite that I hadn't even stepped foot in yet. It was my wedding and the party lasted until 11pm not a big deal as we were out by the lake where the hotel bar is busy until midnight every Friday and Saturday night, but far away from most rooms. Apparently my best man decided to secure keys to my room and while he and the rest of the wedding party didn't do any actual damage, they thought it would be funny to turn all of the furniture upside down. I didn't think it was very cool, as my bride and I had a 6am flight the next morning to start our honeymoon. Manager wanted to kick us out, but I demanded to know why some employee gave keys to my room other than me. Since at the time I was a big spender at the hotel, they cut me some slack, but I also know the front desk employee that gave the keys to someone other than me was fired the next morning.
Wow, the 1990s would have been when the Broadmoor was still owned by the original (two?) families, with at least one of them living at the property. I'm guessing that there weren't hotel buildings on the other side of the lake then, perhaps just the old ice skating arena. I vaguely remember staying there much earlier, as a kid, and some of their historic photos look so familiar. [BTW, my parents would never have permitted me to run around wild, let along take stuff without paying for it.]
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Wow, the 1990s would have been when the Broadmoor was still owned by the original (two?) families, with at least one of them living at the property. I'm guessing that there weren't hotel buildings on the other side of the lake then, perhaps just the old ice skating arena. I vaguely remember staying there much earlier, as a kid, and some of their historic photos look so familiar. [BTW, my parents would never have permitted me to run around wild, let along take stuff without paying for it.]
My wedding was in 97, and by that time the West side was built, and the ice rink was gone. Sad because I still miss the ice rink. My "go to" fantastic dates in the late 80's and early 90's was dinner and skating at the Broadmoor. I had a home just a few blocks away which made hanging out at the Golden Bee or at the time the Cigar Bar (now the Hotel Bar). Fantastic hotel that my wife and I still stay at if we want a quick getaway from reality for the evening.

Back to the OP's complaint, you have reminded me of multiple times that some hotel managers think guests should tolerate whatever happens. I very rarely complain, but your complaint seems valid to me. As my wife reminds me, I could sleep through a tornado, so if I'm annoyed and couldn't stay asleep it must be bad.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Italian_Kayaker
I recently stayed 15 nights at the Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa. My room cost $215 / night (could also have been booked for 140,000 points / night). On the last evening, the hotel hosted a wedding which took place right outside my room. The music kept playing till 1.30 am, and the clean-up kept me up until 2.30 am. I was furious, since I had to be up at 7 am the following morning. When I complained to the front desk manager, he offered 20,000 Honors points. When I pointed out the room cost 140,000 points per night, he offered to also throw in a buffet dinner (about $50) when I next returned.

I have now been contacted by Hilton Corporate, to check whether I am happy with the compensation (I am not sure how they heard about the issue). I have not yet responded. I initially thought they should have offered the entire room cost, in either cash or points. Do you think I am acting entitled and am out of line?

Some other thoughts:

1. I am planning to spend 60 nights / year in this location for the next 2-3 years.
2. I generally like the hotel.
3. But if they are really trying to low-ball me, I can take my business to a nearby Westin...
4. Also because, over 30 nights so far, they have never provided Diamond upgrades from the room type I book, so it's not like they have done me any special favors.
Unless the property was full, I would have hoped that it would have offered you another room when you complained rather than compensation.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond

The bolded part above I don't get. MYOB.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
The bolded part above I don't get. MYOB.
Bolding mine. Why shouldn't he speak up about the theft? He wasn't (1) telling the parents how to parent their kids or (2) doing the parenting FOR them. He saw what most would interpret to be a crime and reported it to management. If I were management, I would make a habit of rewarding guests that aren't afraid to speak up when things aren't right.
MSPeconomist and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Unless the property was full, I would have hoped that it would have offered you another room when you complained rather than compensation.
OP here. They were full. In any case, moving to another room would have been useful if they had pro-actively offered it as an option before the problem started, but less so at 2 am...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by JMorgana
Bolding mine. Why shouldn't he speak up about the theft? He wasn't (1) telling the parents how to parent their kids or (2) doing the parenting FOR them. He saw what most would interpret to be a crime and reported it to management. If I were management, I would make a habit of rewarding guests that aren't afraid to speak up when things aren't right.
The manager told him it wasn't an issue- that would have closed it down for me. Life is too short.
smmrfld likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
The manager told him it wasn't an issue- that would have closed it down for me. Life is too short.
i was told by management that this particular group had untouchable status in the city. I was ready to confront the party but he strongly recommended against doing so. In hindsight I wished I would have, as mob activity shouldn’t be tolerated. Left alone, they do what they want. Screw them if you ask me.

Never again will I watch theft occur, I don’t care what your local status is. Spineless manager doesn’t matter, I’m not working for the guy that paid the bill, but I will stand my ground moving forward.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Full refund for that one night is what you are entitled to.
Agree.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree.
Seconded. The "DYKWIA, I'm gonna spend 60 nights here" thing probably doesn't hold much water - they likely don't care if it's you spending 60 nights or 60 different people spending one night. And I can darn near guarantee you that they made more money off that one single-night event than they'll make off of all of your nights put together anyhow. So keep it simple - you were a guest for a night, you had a bad stay for a night, they owe you a night. And to be clear, that's $215.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I responded to Hilton Corporate that I was not satisfied with the resolution, and asked them to take a second look at what might constitute appropriate compensation. They added 70,000 points to my account.

Now off to the Conrad Hong Kong...
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

i was told by management that this particular group had untouchable status in the city. I was ready to confront the party but he strongly recommended against doing so. In hindsight I wished I would have, as mob activity shouldn’t be tolerated. Left alone, they do what they want. Screw them if you ask me.

Never again will I watch theft occur, I don’t care what your local status is. Spineless manager doesn’t matter, I’m not working for the guy that paid the bill, but I will stand my ground moving forward.
The manager was fine with them taking items. This means no theft occurred. The reason he was ok with it might be awful. However, as he was ok with them taking the items no theft occurred. Once he told you they were ok that was it. Confront the party and get accused of defamation since no theft occurred and you knew that.
indufan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.