Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Atlanta Buckhead {US-GA}

Waldorf Astoria Atlanta Buckhead {US-GA}

Old Nov 1, 18, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Arrow Waldorf Astoria Atlanta Buckhead {US-GA}

The Mandarin Oriental Buckhand will be under a new management contract in December and is rebranding as a Waldorf Astoria property.

Full story: Mandarin Hotel Buckhead sells to Hilton Hotel Group - Story | WAGA
Old Nov 8, 18, 1:13 pm

Mandarin was quite nice. I understand Atlanta also will get a new Canopy Hotel soon.
Old Dec 7, 18, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
The Waldorf Astoria Atlanta Buckhead is now official.

https://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/e...AWA/index.html
Old Dec 21, 18, 7:48 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Plat Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold
Curious if anybody has been and specifically tried the spa. Was gifted a mani/pedi and see a lot of mixed reviews.
Old Dec 22, 18, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by dealOCD View Post
Curious if anybody has been and specifically tried the spa. Was gifted a mani/pedi and see a lot of mixed reviews.
I have never been, but can guarantee that you will definitely get your money's worth.
Michael19887 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 19, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Has anyone stayed here since the rebrand? Considering a summer getaway.
Old Sep 27, 19, 12:14 pm

As traffic on this thread is a little light, I thought Iíd share a review of a recent 1 night stay at the WA Atlanta.

Upon arrival I was shocked to see how much this place resembled the WA Chicago. I realize they donít design these hotels to a spec, but its kind of uncanny how much it resembled Chicago: The same tall, slender building, the same off-street turnaround circle (albeit missing the fountain), the same compact hallways, lots of white marble, a house car (that drops off AND picks you up, unlike Chicago). The lobby layout is even the same!

I had reserved a basic king room but was pre-upgraded, without asking to a premier king room. I initially detected this by looking at my stay details within the Hilton app. Upon check-in, no one mentioned anything about the upgrade but I knew I had been given one.

The room itself was pretty nice and spacious. Large bedroom, big TV, nice changing area, huge bathroom that had a TV positioned at the front of the tub. I did have a chance to use the spa which was maybe a step or below Chicago. I had arrived about 30 minutes in advance of my appointment, then had to wait to be shown to the locker room. I had asked where the steam room was (a wise idea ahead of a massage) and was told that I didnít have enough time to use it and to go sit down. A bit odd. Of course I found it on my own and still made it to the waiting room in time for my appointment. I was picked up 5 minutes late for my appointment which is always a peeve given what the ordeal costs. Golds/Diamonds receive an 80 minute treatment for the price of a 50 minute, which is a pretty good deal I thought.

I did not eat at the restaurant but did have a few wines in the outdoor area which included a quiet English garden.
Room service menu was so-so but got the job done.

$15 per person (max 2 people) daily F&B credit as part of the Hilton Honors breakfast benefit. I liked that they didnít restrict it to breakfast similar to Chicago, and very much unlike Boca Raton (very stingy!). $15 does not cover the continental breakfast, which is $25.

The location of the hotel is very convenient to nearby shopping and restaurants (Bistro Nikko was a highlight). The Lenox and Phips (sp?) are right nearby within walking distance. Very high end places. Going to downtown Buckhead (where the St. Regis is) was a bit of a jaunt and would recommend an Uber.

Overall a pretty standard stay for a Waldorf, which to say in my experience, is quite good.
Old Sep 27, 19, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by ben1233 View Post

Upon arrival I was shocked to see how much this place resembled the WA Chicago. I realize they donít design these hotels to a spec, but its kind of uncanny how much it resembled Chicago: The same tall, slender building, the same off-street turnaround circle (albeit missing the fountain), the same compact hallways, lots of white marble, a house car (that drops off AND picks you up, unlike Chicago). The lobby layout is even the same!

That's funny because it was a MO before and before that it was an independent building called Mansion. Partly a hotel, but mostly condos. It was foreclosed and then got new life as the MO. I drove by it every single day as it was built. I guess there is a bit of a formula for these hotel/residences since WA Chicago is one as well.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 27, 19, 1:19 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ben1233 View Post
The location of the hotel is very convenient to nearby shopping and restaurants (Bistro Nikko was a highlight). The Lenox and Phips (sp?) are right nearby within walking distance. Very high end places. Going to downtown Buckhead (where the St. Regis is) was a bit of a jaunt and would recommend an Uber.
It’s only like a 5-7 min drive between the StR and WA. Not so far, even as the StR is closer to the central Buckhead area.
Old Sep 27, 19, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Itís only like a 5-7 min drive between the StR and WA. Not so far, even as the StR is closer to the central Buckhead area.
Yes! When I meant ďjauntĒ I meant by foot. It was just a bit more than I had bargained for in the Atlanta sun. Some of the sidewalks werenít all that great either.

Going there would be a good use of the house car, which is a brand new 7 series.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 12, 19, 8:31 am

Just had a great stay at the WA. Am a diamond and was given a double room upgrade pre arrival. The manager also sent up a unsolicited special gift for anniversary. Staff is exceptional as you would expect for a Waldorf. While the hotel is the previous Mandarin Oriental and has not been renovated in 10 years, it is still very nice and does not feel as dated. Even so, The word at the hotel is that a renovation project will be occurring soon. This is an ideal location for shopping, excellent dining options, and I would highly recommend a stay here.
Old Feb 12, 21, 5:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
Prepping for a visit to Atlanta and called the WA. Got the most strangest front desk agent. Actual dialogue below.

Q: What kind of breakfast are you serving?
A: I donít know. You can look the breakfast menu up online.
Q: What breakfast benefits do Diamond members receive?
A: $15 per person, per room, up to two people. That covers continental
breakfast of fruit and yogurt.

Q: Is the indoor pool open?
A: No.
Q: Is the closure related to Covid?
A: No. They said it was broken. Itíll be fixed soon.
Q: Weíre coming in a few weeks, do you expect it open by then?
A: You'll need to call back closer to your visit.

Q: Some of the suites say they sleep 3 people, but the photos donít show sofas.
A: We donít have any sofa beds.
Q: Where does the 3rd person sleep?
A: I guess it gets cozy in the big King bed.
Q: Fair point. Do you offer rollaway beds?
A: Yes. Theyíre a $50 fee.
Q: OK thank you, are there any parking or resort fees, too?
A. Yes. Parking is $50 and there is a $5 mandatory hotel fee.

Iíll admit, nothing she said was factually incorrect, but she definitely wasnít going above and beyond to share any additional information.

Iíd love to stay here, but the room layouts arenít family friendly.

Any other recs for Atlanta? Candler Hotel?

Last edited by aww3583; Feb 12, 21 at 5:29 am
Old Feb 12, 21, 4:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
Prepping for a visit to Atlanta and called the WA. Got the most strangest front desk agent. Actual dialogue below.

Any other recs for Atlanta? Candler Hotel?
The Candler is a smashing example of how COVID-era unpleasantness can be handled very well.

They not only have a great hotel central to everything, but the service (including breakfast) was handled really well. See my review how they treated me (Diamond), wife and daughter for a recent stay here:

The Candler Hotel Atlanta (Curio) is a great stay!

I would highly recommend, and certainly stay at the Candler any time I'm in town.
Old Feb 13, 21, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta FO
The St Regis is the only other hotel on the same level as the Waldorf. Candler is great but more boutique/vintage style and in a totally different neighborhood. If you're sticking to Hilton, those are the only two nice ones that I'm aware of.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: