Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How far in advance do you book rooms?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:27 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat

For those of you that know you will be somewhere regularly, how far ahead do you book? Assuming flexible rates that one then later converts or simply keeps, do you book half a year through or do you only book two months out worth of visits?

I have generally only ever booked 2-3 months out (my weekly journey to the south coast of the UK) but nothing really stopping me from booking 52 reservations (assuming prices are okay on flex rates)...do you book your week/weekly runs well in advance or do you just do a few and then rinse, sleep and repeat?

Just curious how others do this and of course to see if someone has an ungodly amount of stays booked in advance (such as 52 or more?) I know some have posted they have more than 30 stays booked so come on, the Hilton app and site are still being sorted so a bit of fun...
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Generally I book when I know I am going. Have only paid non-refundable rates once or twice. Have cancelled and re-booked a few times when rates dropped. Don't see a reason to not book if it is free to cancel.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:42 pm

^^ this.

I’ll book early, especially for events. Even if it’s 10 months or better out. Then if I see a better rate, I’ll rebook and cancel the original.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I book as soon as I know I‘ll be somewhere, however only flexible rates. Once that plans are clearer closer to date I recheck and might rebook a better rate.

From time to time I check my dates for sale rates etc.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by florens
I book as soon as I know I‘ll be somewhere, however only flexible rates. Once that plans are clearer closer to date I recheck and might rebook a better rate.

This is exactly what I do, flexible or semi-flex, as far out as I know a fixed event is happening. When things pop up or move dates at the last minute, it is what it is.

I've never had a standing weekly or monthly appointment, but if I did, I'd do as many as was practical. I'm not sure 52 bookings is practical.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:37 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Less than 10% of my Hilton stays are ones where I go to a property I have been to before, so I probably shouldn't be responding. But I don't think being a frequent or infrequent guest would make much of a difference to my strategy

I normally get a feel of what the typical rates are long before I confirm any plans to stay at a property, then if the prepaid rate is good and represents a significant discount to the flex rate I lock it in. If it's only a few $/Ł more I'll book the flex rate and keep checking to see if it drops, until 1-2 weeks before. Sometimes, the prepaid rate stops being offered then I regret not locking it in

If one is a very frequent guest I think you would become very familiar with the typical rates and know exactly when you should confirm a prepaid rate and when you should leave it open to dropping; obviously, dependent on how flexible your own plans are.
Beano likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Even tentative trips are booked in advance, but rarely more than 3 months out. I only book fully refundable rates so nothing lost booking in advance.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Thanks for the replies so far, seems many book in advance quite a way out on a flexible rate and then see if it improves in price once they are firm on plans.

While I do have a recurring schedule and also know quite well what a good prepay rate is for the hotels in question in that area, I can't always book that lower prepaid rate as I get asked on a regular basis to go visit customers with our sales guys or attend a conference/exhibit at the last minute. Generally it would still work out in the wash with the savings the company would make from the prepaid rates over flex rates for the rest of the year, however I end up getting an earful when even a single prepaid can't be cancelled or moved due to one of these spontaneous visit requests so now I just book flex rates and have no hassle and apparently the company feels better too...the bonus is that the rates are higher so I do end up getting a bit more points but does seem a bit daft really.

Anyway, I'm going to book as far out as I can within my budget on flex rates and lock those 'reasonable' rates in now before they jump up. Curious to see how many stays I'll have afterwards, it won't be 50 but could very well be 30...

Any other thoughts or reasons not to book out as far as possible and then cancel as needed I'm not seeing?

Safe travels.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by BotB
Thanks for the replies so far, seems many book in advance quite a way out on a flexible rate and then see if it improves in price once they are firm on plans.

While I do have a recurring schedule and also know quite well what a good prepay rate is for the hotels in question in that area, I can't always book that lower prepaid rate as I get asked on a regular basis to go visit customers with our sales guys or attend a conference/exhibit at the last minute. Generally it would still work out in the wash with the savings the company would make from the prepaid rates over flex rates for the rest of the year, however I end up getting an earful when even a single prepaid can't be cancelled or moved due to one of these spontaneous visit requests so now I just book flex rates and have no hassle and apparently the company feels better too...the bonus is that the rates are higher so I do end up getting a bit more points but does seem a bit daft really.

Anyway, I'm going to book as far out as I can within my budget on flex rates and lock those 'reasonable' rates in now before they jump up. Curious to see how many stays I'll have afterwards, it won't be 50 but could very well be 30...

Any other thoughts or reasons not to book out as far as possible and then cancel as needed I'm not seeing?

Safe travels.
Mate, I book flex only and I book as soon as I know I'm going to be staying in the area ( normally a gig ) ..... I watch the prices quite closely and if the go down I rebook ( still flex ) ........ when it gets to the day before I sometimes cancel and rebook with the PR discount code ( if my lady is traveling with me ) but mostly I don't bother or am traveling alone.
As for times it's not normally outside 3 months or so but this is just he nature of the music business..
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Someone needs to create an app to keep checking automatically for lower rates

Just that...send an email, then login and reboot.

That would be great
Beano likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I book as soon as I know where I am going. I usually know my fun travel dates a year out. So, I plan a trip and book hotels.

Sometimes I adjust where I am staying (I changed my European travel itinerary 3 times last summer and cancelled the hotels).

But I check. 75% of the time, the rate has increased or not changed as we get closer to the travel date.

25% it has dropped.

Since they are not pre-paid, I am usually better off booking as early as I know.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
My only advice is to book when travel is planned, not even confirmed. My sales engineer waited to book a hotel once, because he wanted the meeting set in stone... Well, Salt Lake City hotels became hard to find at a decent rate, he stayed at some crap hole and had to rent a car instead of ride with me. Ended up costing my company even more because of his inability to think logically.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Nov 1, 2018 at 12:04 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
There have been several times that I booked many months out, and later a conference or homecoming or whatever is announced and rates go thru the roof.

And of course I've been on the other end, where a familiar hotel that might be $150 one week bumps up to $300, but what can you do? Other than stay farther away, or try to reschedule.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by florens

I do the same thing but always book the AAA rate that is flexible. I rarely find a lower rate. However, I tend to have to book my 4 night stays as 4 one night stays. Ends up being way cheaper. Somehow, SPG (and now Marriott) manage to get me the right rate for the 4 nights when the rate changes . Hilton always tries to overcharge me.....and I'm not talking about small amounts.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by BotB
For those of you that know you will be somewhere regularly, how far ahead do you book? Assuming flexible rates that one then later converts or simply keeps, do you book half a year through or do you only book two months out worth of visits?

I have generally only ever booked 2-3 months out (my weekly journey to the south coast of the UK) but nothing really stopping me from booking 52 reservations (assuming prices are okay on flex rates)...do you book your week/weekly runs well in advance or do you just do a few and then rinse, sleep and repeat?

Just curious how others do this and of course to see if someone has an ungodly amount of stays booked in advance (such as 52 or more?) I know some have posted they have more than 30 stays booked so come on, the Hilton app and site are still being sorted so a bit of fun...
Might be useful to include a poll ? And if the stays are out of pocket or expenses.

I mainly travel for work so most of the time it's 2 - 3 day notice, although I find myself having to book same day as least once a month. There aren't many properties with prepaid rates at short notice, most are the higher priced "flexible rate" although the cancellation time has already passed.

For holiday, I book a month out (flexible) and check back a week before if prepaid is any cheaper OR if there is a sale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.