Wiki Posts
Search

IT Update Oct 30-31, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by adobbing
update!

Apparently the reduction in points is due to two reward reservations “I made” for Hilton Manila yesterday!

Just informed them that I made no such reservations, nor can I see any reservations on my account, this would appear to be some kind of fraud! I don’t know whether this is widespread, it may be worth checking on your own accounts.!
Sorry to hear this mate, just checked mine and all good......hope you manage to get it sorted.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by wizla
Sorry to hear this mate, just checked mine and all good......hope you manage to get it sorted.
thanks Wizla!

Hilton told me they had sent a password reset to an @hotmail.com email account. I don’t have an @hotmail.com email account!
Fortunately I was logged into my account and saw the bogus email address had been set up as the preferred email account. I deleted it and changed my password.
I rang the diamond desk and played hell with them, they confirmed that the bookings were made by telephone and that the person was actually checked in to the hotel. I told them to contact the hotel and get them to call the police and get the vermin in the room arrested for fraud.

I also told them that I would be expecting something substantial in terms of compensation for this latest instalment in the hassle I’ve been having with them lately!

As I could still log into my account, it would appear that they hadn’t yet managed to change my password.
My suspicion is that the email address was added by Hilton C when the booking was made, just fortunate I spotted this before they were able to completely able to hijack my account.
wizla likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Wow..how did your account get hacked in the first place?? I have seen so many accounts and passwords stored at airport lounges and Hotel PCs is scarry. At a tiny place like Danang alone i saw a dozen accounts with passwords saved..really no excuse for this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by ashkale
Wow..how did your account get hacked in the first place?? I have seen so many accounts and passwords stored at airport lounges and Hotel PCs is scarry. At a tiny place like Danang alone i saw a dozen accounts with passwords saved..really no excuse for this.
How it happened is still a mystery to me.

I found it odd that if the fraudster added a fake email to my account and set as default, they didn’t then change the password.

I was told that the redemption “bookings” were made yesterday, they think by phone.
I reckon they have asked Hilton CS to add the email and then intended to change the password, but not got around to it.

I was supposed to get a call back this afternoon or email before 17:00 UK, but guess what....

I think the service I’m experiencing from Hilton lately is shocking, I’ve been a member since 2000 and a Diamond continuously for the last 13+ years, this is the worst 6 months I’ve had with them. I’m regularly missing out on upgrades, despite them being available and having to “negotiate” at check in.
I’m still waiting for Lufthansa miles from the promo last year and 2 milestone bonuses didn’t post.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Especially since there is plenty of technology available to protect idiots uninformed users from themselves; in fact, the Hilton family brand standards for hotel business center PCs specifically requires a solution that basically wipes any user data as soon as the session ends (affirmatively or timed out) -- of course less sophisticated organizations are the wild west.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP

How it happened is still a mystery to me.

I found it odd that if the fraudster added a fake email to my account and set as default, they didn’t then change the password.

I was told that the redemption “bookings” were made yesterday, they think by phone.
I reckon they have asked Hilton CS to add the email and then intended to change the password, but not got around to it.

I was supposed to get a call back this afternoon or email before 17:00 UK, but guess what....

I think the service I’m experiencing from Hilton lately is shocking, I’ve been a member since 2000 and a Diamond continuously for the last 13+ years, this is the worst 6 months I’ve had with them. I’m regularly missing out on upgrades, despite them being available and having to “negotiate” at check in.
I’m still waiting for Lufthansa miles from the promo last year and 2 milestone bonuses didn’t post.
Think to change the password you need the old password..guess that wasnt available, probably some public computer saved your password enabling the login, use of points and change of email.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Think to change the password you need the old password..guess that wasnt available, probably some public computer saved your password enabling the login, use of points and change of email.
Except I’ve never used any public computers, I take my MacBook everywhere and use vpn software when I connect to a public/ hotel Wi-fi connection.

As I’ve said the rewards reservations were made by phone not online, they apparently have the call recorded.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:15 am

I'm trying to reconcile the points activity after 2 months of travel and various reward stay cancellations and bookings.

By my maths / my spreadsheet I'm 120k points short, but there just isn't enough info in the account website to see where the error is.

It doesn't show points returned after cancelling reward bookings. It doesn't show points spent on reward bookings in sequence.

My spreadsheet was accurate when I went away in December. Add points earned, add points from cancellations, subtract points spent, I come up with a total 120k higher than showing online.

It's very frustrating not being able to see complete information ordered by date. I can't find where the difference comes from.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Frustrating isn’t it, we all got ripped off last year , myself by two stays ......... I now take screenshots and file all my actions now as I simply don’t trust Hilton IT.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by todderz
I'm trying to reconcile the points activity after 2 months of travel and various reward stay cancellations and bookings.

By my maths / my spreadsheet I'm 120k points short, but there just isn't enough info in the account website to see where the error is.

It doesn't show points returned after cancelling reward bookings. It doesn't show points spent on reward bookings in sequence.

My spreadsheet was accurate when I went away in December. Add points earned, add points from cancellations, subtract points spent, I come up with a total 120k higher than showing online.

It's very frustrating not being able to see complete information ordered by date. I can't find where the difference comes from.
I had a similar issue noticing a sudden balance drop.
When I queried it with them via Twitter, they told me I’d booked two reward stays via phone for somewhere in the Far East.
I had made no such redemption and on closer inspection someone had added a fake Hotmail email address to my account and it was set as default, presumably this is why I didn’t see the confirmations for the redemptions.

Ultimately Hilton closed my account down and opened a new one for me, without first consulting me. This meant my entire account history from 2000 has vanished.

I would advise that you check your account for rogue email addresses and if you find them or anything suspicious use Twitter to query. This gives you a “written” copy of the dialogue.
I would also take copies by whatever means of your entire account history before they potentially shut your account down and destroy your evidence!

Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by todderz
[...] there just isn't enough info in the account website to see where the error is. [...]
This is my experience, too. The attitude "Our computer doesn't make mistakes, so you don't need to check anything" is arrogant—and demonstrably false. (On the other hand, the attitude could be "We are too lazy to provide a decent interface" or, as someone else suggested, "We don't want you to be able to find the mistake, because then you might ask us to correct it.")
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia

I had a similar issue noticing a sudden balance drop.
When I queried it with them via Twitter, they told me I’d booked two reward stays via phone for somewhere in the Far East.
I had made no such redemption and on closer inspection someone had added a fake Hotmail email address to my account and it was set as default, presumably this is why I didn’t see the confirmations for the redemptions.

Ultimately Hilton closed my account down and opened a new one for me, without first consulting me. This meant my entire account history from 2000 has vanished.

I would advise that you check your account for rogue email addresses and if you find them or anything suspicious use Twitter to query. This gives you a “written” copy of the dialogue.
I would also take copies by whatever means of your entire account history before they potentially shut your account down and destroy your evidence!

A similar thing happened to me many years ago at Hilton. I had a credit card on file, and the identity thief put charges on it through the HH website. If you have a credit card on file with Hilton.com, you might want to double check that.

As in your situation, HH closed my original account and opened a new one. I hope everything works out for you! BTW, I haven't kept a cc on file with HH since this incident. I just manually type the info in with each reservation. It was my company cc, and the process of telling my boss about the fraudulent charges because I saved the card info on the HH site is something I don't want to have to go through again.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
I am dealing now with the issue where upon contacting them about missing points my status has been downgraded..
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:39 am

It's not an excuse, but much of the stonewalling from customer service reps is due to their lack of familiarity with the IT system now managing Honors. The pre-rollout training was inadequate. And, even it had been adequate, Hilton would be facing what is does now: turning all of their reps into 'newbies'. Collectively, they had centuries of experience with the prior system (Polaris); so they knew all kinds of ways to make things work. With the new system agents MIGHT know one way to maek things happen.

On top of that, the process of clearing up issues with the new system (Olsen/Tally) has been a nightmare in which fixes (like, for instance, getting stays to post promptly) causes a new issue (like downgrading Honors tiers for some members).

The systems transition has been handled terribly - in not small part because,while making the switch to Tally, HIlton simultaneously linked it to Salesforce, which they used for only a few months before going to Tally.
ashkale likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

The hilton IT fiasco of last year has reared it's ugly head and I get to have the 4th conversation with online support about how I have managed over 20 stays to keep gold but the system only shows 19. If only I'd predicted this would happen when talking to them last year... oh wait. I did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.