Wiki Posts
Search

Pet Deposit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta, hilton
Pet Deposit

Going to be doing some travel this winter with the dog. Diamond desk is telling me the hotels that do the pet deposit, its a one time fee for the entire stay. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
I would expect it is once per stay - but why not ask the hotels directly?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta, hilton
The person at the hotel this morning gave me the same answer that the diamond desk gave me, was they believe its once per stay.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
IME you have about a 50% chance of the hotel forgetting to put the charge through at all. Ditto for Marriott.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
IME you have about a 50% chance of the hotel forgetting to put the charge through at all. Ditto for Marriott.
This has been my experience as well. About half the time, I have not been charged. Otherwise, it has been one flat fee per stay. Individual hotel websites have the best information. I believe I once had to complain when I was charged $75 when the web advertised fee was $50, but my bill was quickly corrected.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
I have a lot of experience with this when I used to stay with my parson Russell a couple of years ago.
Yes there is a non refundable pet fee which is listed ( on the left hand side under " pets allowed " on website) .
I generally found that many hotels didn't bother to change me for this , occasionally that did but often not.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:29 am

Never been charged it, normally actually get extra goodies and treats for her when they see her. Sometimes I wonder if she is the diamond member ...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:01 am

As someone who routinely travels with a dog, I recommend do your research with the hotel(s) (not the Diamond Desk, Res call centers, etc) before you book. Some hotels welcome pets with no fees (e.g, most Home2Suites). Most charge a one-time, nonrefundable fee of $50-$75 with restrictions on the dog's weight; some hotels simply do not allow pets. None of Hilton's brands has complete uniformity across properties on the matter of pets.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
As someone who routinely travels with a dog, I recommend do your research with the hotel(s) (not the Diamond Desk, Res call centers, etc) before you book. Some hotels welcome pets with no fees (e.g, most Home2Suites). Most charge a one-time, nonrefundable fee of $50-$75 with restrictions on the dog's weight; some hotels simply do not allow pets. None of Hilton's brands has complete uniformity across properties on the matter of pets.
This. It varies greatly from property to property. I usually also call the hotel directly after seeing what it is on the website to verify. Contrary to reports above, I have always been charged if there is a fee.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
This. It varies greatly from property to property. I usually also call the hotel directly after seeing what it is on the website to verify. Contrary to reports above, I have always been charged if there is a fee.
Agree with this. Always verify with the hotel that dogs are allowed. We live in the UK and have stayed at a number of "dog friendly" Hilton hotels (not all are), and where there is a fee listed we were always charged - no such thing as "forget". I hate it when they call it a pet "deposit", more like an outright fee. We have also stayed at some expensive B&B in the UK, and the dog fee they charge can be eye-watering - room £250/night, dog £30/night - not per stay.

When we travel in the UK, we always bring our dog and try to stay at the Hilton where dogs are allowed. So, somehow in our profile (as a HH member) they have noted that we have our dog staying with us. On at least 3 occasions when we checked in at a Hilton outside of the UK (eg the US or Sweden recently) staff would say "so we noted that your dog would be with you and we have prepared your room accordingly! We would say no, she stayed in the UK with her minder. We got into the room and sure enough there was a dog bed with treats in it

Last edited by A1pax; Oct 25, 2018 at 9:24 am
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Every time I've travelled with a pet the hotel site has been clear on the policy. It's always a flat charge.

Like others I'm usually never charged. But I travel with a cat and also tell them at check in I want housekeeping skipped during the stay so not sure if that helps or not.

I think they should just charge a deposit instead of a fee. If the pet does no damage then the deposit is credited back and if the pet does damage charge the appropriate amount.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Anyone had problems with properties in US insisting on charging when animal is cleary a service (not emotional support) animal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.