Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do I deny wages to housekeeping when I decline service? Fair to tip once at checkout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I deny wages to housekeeping when I decline service? Fair to tip once at checkout?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Your question was: "Is that fair?"

It's your money, you have paid for the room. If you want to tip anything, whether you had room cleaning or not- it is fair.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Former Hyatt employee speaking.

Your instincts were correct. You did the right thing. You're showing your appreciation by leaving the tip--that's all. And housekeepers are the hardest-working people in the hotel. And leaving the note was a really nice touch. Everyone likes to be appreciated. And better to leave it in the room, just to make sure it all gets to the housekeeper who actually cleans the room, and no-one skims anything along the way. It's so nice that you recognized your room was a big mess and would take extra work to clean up.

Myself, I only leave $1 per bed to be made each day. However, I keep my room super tidy. That's really all the housekeeper has to do, besides empty the trash and replace towels. If I created a big mess, I'd definitely leave more. Again, it's just an acknowledgement that you appreciate them. I also smile and say hello to them when I pass them in the hall. (I have a soft spot for hotel housekeepers.)
Originally Posted by jspira
I do the same - and acknowledge other staff similarly. Is that unusual (serious question)?
I always acknowledge in the hall and say thanks. They work really hard. They deserve a tip everyday.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Voldoo
I’m likely to get creamed by this stance, but I never tip housekeeping staff unless I’m on vacation. I do acknowledge that these workers are some of the hardest-working, lowest paid employees in the industry, however unless my company is going to start providing me with some sort of daily per-diem to cover this expense, I don’t feel that the burden should fall on me (especially considering I don’t “want” to be there in the first place). As others have mentioned, I also generally place the DND notice on my door and keep my room relatively tidy throughout the duration of my stay.
You realize the work is the same for housekeeping whether you're on vacation or not, right? Take $2 out of your per diem per day and give it to the people who clean up after you.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MiniMuffin
You realize the work is the same for housekeeping whether you're on vacation or not, right? Take $2 out of your per diem per day and give it to the people who clean up after you.
Why? Voldoo doesn't feel guilty. You do.

David
User Name likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Myself, I only leave $1 per bed to be made each day. However, I keep my room super tidy. That's really all the housekeeper has to do, besides empty the trash and replace towels. If I created a big mess, I'd definitely leave more.
I've often wondered about the impact of neatness on housekeeping's job. I'm reasonably neat when I travel but still leave towels on the floor to be changed out and the sink usually needs a minor cleanup daily. My wife otoh is a neat freak. I have to remind her not to make the bed(s) when we travel. She folds the towels and wipes down the counters. Everything is put in its place before we leave the room. I imagine that housekeepers appreciate neatness to a certain degree, but at what point does it become overkill?

Regardless, I leave a few dollars for housekeeping every day rather than at the end of a stay because of staff rotation.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
I think the real question should be why employers pay their staff so low wages that they have to be dependant on tipping.
Where I come from, what you get invoiced is what you pay. You don't tip unless you receive a service that is out of the ordinary or beyond what you expected. And imagine how much money doesn't go through the official channels like this, how many declare tips to the tax office? Such an old fashioned way of doing things.
​​​​​​
​​​
​​​​
​​​​​​
​​
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I don't generally tip housekeeping. I don't usually carry any cash on me.

However I always go through the room before vacating, and put any trash together in a bag, towels in the one spot etc. Never leave a mess.
Crampedin13A and User Name like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But I figure the amount I tip doesn’t really affect my work per diem, if I’m on one, or my holiday or travel budget (which I always end up royally exceeding anyway). It’s only a dollar or two per day, per person, depending on location. Of course, if it’s a family run guesthouse in the Swiss Alps then it’s less necessary.
Often1 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Declining daily services means fewer housekeeping hours and thus fewer housekeepers. Not because you individually declined services but because more and more do.

While it is entirely possible that a contract service is paid per room, the employees of the service, e.g. the housekeepers can't be paid per room anywhere in the US.

It isn't worth overthinking this issue. It may be true that it takes more work on a 4-day stay to clean the room daily than it does to clean it once, but it likely isn't by a huge amount. If you would ordinarily tip $5 per day, thus $20, it isn't worth trying to figure out whether you ought to leave $17 if it's only one cleaning. Just leave the $20.

Even with a strong union and $15/hour, 40 hours for 50 weeks a year is $30K. Try raising a couple of kids on that in one of the places which typically has those wages. Then ask yourself about the person making $10/hour.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:23 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by DELee
Another thing to consider: different housekeeping staff work different days or are rotated amonst floors and room blocks - so that any tip you leave at the end of your multi-day stay that you've declined service may not go into the pocket/purse of the staff who would have serviced your room on the days that she was assigned to have cleaned your room - but didn't since you declined service.
This doesn't make sense, unless there are trends such as people on long weekend breaks are more likely to decline service vs people travelling for work Mon-Fri, *and* all housekeepers are rostered to work on the same days every week. Otherwise it all averages out.
writerguyfl and Zurich like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by :D!
This doesn't make sense, unless there are trends such as people on long weekend breaks are more likely to decline service vs people travelling for work Mon-Fri, *and* all housekeepers are rostered to work on the same days every week. Otherwise it all averages out.
OP was concerned that who ever might have cleaned her room on the days that she declined service would work less and paid less. My point was that there's no guarantee who would reset her room when she finally left - the housekeeping person who _would_ have cleaned the OP's room on the days she declined service wouldn't necessarily gotten a larger tip at the end anyway given rotation schedules and weekend breaks. Perhaps it averages out but it is ambiguous as to whom would have provided service versus who got the tip.

David
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jeffers
I don't generally tip housekeeping. I don't usually carry any cash on me.

However I always go through the room before vacating, and put any trash together in a bag, towels in the one spot etc. Never leave a mess.
Out of 24, a logical post was bound to happen.

And to the snowflake telling another poster to leave money.......geez!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every morning, I leave a tip and a thank you note to housekeeping for cleaning the room for my use. I do this daily instead of all at checkout, because housekeeping staff change assignments and I want the person doing me a service to receive my appreciation. I tip because frankly I've had apartments that cost more daily than some hotels I've stayed in and no one is cleaning my apartment daily as a part of the rent.
I also have a realistic view of American culture.You may think that employers should pay wages which would render tips as a way to earn a living wage unnecessary. I do too. But people in the US can work full time jobs and be living in their car. It's a harsh economy. Many Americans revel in that and deplore any assistance to those falling behind as inculcating dependancy. It's a philosophical position. But the low end of the economy isn't living on theories and they're underpaid. That's just the fact. I can bemoan it; even write impassioned posts about it. But I know ponying up a few bucks a day that I can easily afford is helping a worker out and I prefer doing to saying.
As always, IMO and YMMV.
​​
RaginPlainsman likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
I've actually wondered the same thing as the OP as more properties are rolling out these sorts of programs, so appreciate the discussion here. I always tip on days I've had the room cleaned and also at the very least pile the towels to change out together and collect the trash together. The cleaning staff have hard - sometimes gross - jobs, plus I've been taken by John Hodgman's saying "Be mindful of the work you leave for others." Though this whole question of per-room payments opens up whether leaving some work is actually better than none...
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Goaguy
I think the real question should be why employers pay their staff so low wages that they have to be dependant on tipping.
Where I come from, what you get invoiced is what you pay. You don't tip unless you receive a service that is out of the ordinary or beyond what you expected. And imagine how much money doesn't go through the official channels like this, how many declare tips to the tax office? Such an old fashioned way of doing things.
​​​​​​
​​​
​​​​

​​
No.

No, no, no.

This is where tipping discussions seem inevitably to lead.

The "real question" is not "why employers pay their staff so [sic] low wages." That's an entirely separate question. As someone else has noted, in union environments housekeepers can be well compensated (even in non-union ones, as I recall some of the Housekeeping managers marveling at how much some of the experienced housekeepers were making). Housekeepers are not paid a "tipped wage" like food servers.

It is a tip in its purest form--a sign of appreciation. Like the people who bring candies and chocolate for the flight attendants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.