Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

70 Stays & 215 Hilton Nights So Far in 2018...

70 Stays & 215 Hilton Nights So Far in 2018...

Old Oct 11, 18, 5:25 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
I met Neil diamond in 2009, he told me he's been living in hotels pretty much all his life and his registered address for tax reasons is his late mother's house in Oklahoma.....he then went on to say he's never found a comfy hotel pillow ......it always stuck in my mind, that conversation.... apparently when you are nearly permanently touring it's the better option.
Old Oct 11, 18, 6:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by wizla View Post
I met Neil diamond in 2009, he told me he's been living in hotels pretty much all his life and his registered address for tax reasons is his late mother's house in Oklahoma.....he then went on to say he's never found a comfy hotel pillow ......it always stuck in my mind, that conversation.... apparently when you are nearly permanently touring it's the better option.
I gave up years ago on hotel pillows and now always bring my own. I find it is the one thing that guarantees me a great night sleep anywhere.
Old Oct 11, 18, 7:42 am

I did 334 Hilton nights in 2017. It was OK, but I got quite fat from all the hotel food. I would not repeat it.
Old Oct 11, 18, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Hey @Dazzie, you've gotten some negativity from people who thought you were just stopping by to boast. Perhaps you could share some insights & experiences so the rest of us can learn from you and enjoy the read.

What is/are 1-2 things you know now that you wish you'd known when you started?

What's been your best HH hotel experience?

What are your most and least favorite parts of the HH program?
Old Oct 11, 18, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
I did 334 Hilton nights in 2017. It was OK, but I got quite fat from all the hotel food. I would not repeat it.
I usually choose hotels within short distance to a Whole Foods and/or Trader Joes. With some planning, and with a fridge in the room, you can live very healthily on-the-road. Actually... The one HH perk I almost NEVER use is the free breakfast (except for when there's an omelette bar so I can get an egg white omelette). It's for the health aspect, but also I tend to get up late (another Hilton element of consistency I enjoy... the blackout curtains.)

Originally Posted by ozztraveller View Post
I gave up years ago on hotel pillows and now always bring my own. I find it is the one thing that guarantees me a great night sleep anywhere.
Just so long as it's not those small square ones. Ugh, I hate those.

Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey View Post
There's a thread about person who lived permanently in Hilton for 12 years but that was company founded....I couldn't do this myself, I like to have home base, place where I have my cars registered and can keep them and drive. Being "homeless" would be too tricky.
Ironically, my desire to shed myself of obligations such as my car (and rent!) was the catalyst for my moving to hotels. For me, the feeling of being completely un-tethered from virtually all obligations and commitments provides and overwhelming sense of control and fulfillment.

But I can understand the reluctance because when I first started doing this I had a tremendous sense of insecurity about it (omg will I be on a park bench tonight?)... At about the 3-6 month mark the insecurities faded and gave way to a sense of freedom and spiritual enlightenment.

Oh and I still drive... I have about 12 Hertz car rentals so far this year (a few of those were monthly rentals, the rest mostly weeklies)

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
If there have been discussions here about permanent travellers I have not seen it. But I have not looked very hard either.
According to a USA Today article I read, there I guess maybe there aren't too many. The article states:
USA TODAY asked 3,570 members of its Road Warrior panel — some of the world's most frequent business travelers who volunteer travel information — whether they live every day in hotels, motels, B&Bs and other temporary lodgings.

Thirteen say they live that way, but five have homes they occasionally return to.
... I guess I am in the group of 8.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Oct 12, 18, 12:14 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Welcome to posting at FT, Dazzie!

One of my friends wanted to untether, and did so almost a year ago. But he registered (and parks) his car at and forwards his mail to a friend's home. He did have a bunch of hiccups when his passport and drivers license were stolen in Central America, replacing them was more difficult with not having a permanent address.
Old Oct 12, 18, 1:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Dazzie View Post

Just so long as it's not those small square ones. Ugh, I hate those.
No its a full size pillow. Usually just have a suitcase for the pillow but one time running late had no time to check luggage so I managed to somehow fit it inside my carry on.
Old Oct 12, 18, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Agree that step 1 of affording a lifestyle of permanent travel is not owning a car or getting rid of the one you have. There's no better way to burn a pile of money. Public transport, Uber, rentals, walking etc. are all convenient and cheaper in most places.
hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 12, 18, 10:31 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond and A3*G
Originally Posted by Dazzie View Post
Ironically, my desire to shed myself of obligations such as my car (and rent!)
How does that work when you have to pay rent to a hotel every night (unless you want to sleep on that park bench you mentioned)?

If you stay in the lowest quality motels then maybe it's cheaper than renting or owning a house, but Hiltons are usually quite pricey unless you live in Turkey etc.?
Old Oct 12, 18, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
How does that work when you have to pay rent to a hotel every night (unless you want to sleep on that park bench you mentioned)?

If you stay in the lowest quality motels then maybe it's cheaper than renting or owning a house, but Hiltons are usually quite pricey unless you live in Turkey etc.?
Step 1 - add up everything you pay in rent, utilities, internet, insurance, gym membership, coffee / breakfast etc. No decent hotel will charge you for any of that.

Step 2 - figure out how many days per month you are travelling anyhow because you are passionate about it --> that percentage of your rent becomes the money you are wasting on a really expensive storage locker

Step 3 - realise it's cheaper to give up the apartment than to pay for an expensive storage locker AND to travel...

Nobody is pretending that you can do a 9-to-5 job in London or New York living in hotels. But if you freelance over the internet or at client premises...

Last edited by craigthemif; Oct 13, 18 at 3:53 am
Old Oct 12, 18, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Agree that step 1 of affording a lifestyle of permanent travel is not owning a car or getting rid of the one you have. There's no better way to burn a pile of money. Public transport, Uber, rentals, walking etc. are all convenient and cheaper in most places.
Definitely. I was paying about $1,000/month for the car all-in and another $2,500/month or so in rent all-in. Add them together and it's a somewhat decent non-luxury travel budget, if willing to be somewhat frugal (e.g. not eating out a lot, which is unhealthy anyway)

Originally Posted by :D! View Post

I have become highly efficient at finding reasonable hotels. There's no doubt that every now and then I need to make concessions on hotel quality depending on location/season. Such as a 3-nighter I just completed in a Comfort Suites and now moving over to a newly renovated Doubletree today for a 3 night stay.

It's also a matter of choice, I guess... No question that it's not as cheap as renting or owning. But, as I mentioned, the issue with that is the long-term obligation, which isn't for me.
Old Oct 12, 18, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
I was aware of @Phil the Flyer living in Hilton Cairo for 12 years. That is not the same as living in hotels on own dime and moving from one property to another like a permanent traveller. Impressive for sure and noteworthy, but Hilton Cairo was effectively his residence and he was not homeless.
My five minutes of FT fame.

Yes, Mrs PtF and I had our entire stay at the Hilton World Trade Centre Apartments, Cairo paid for by my employer; continuously from February 2005 - September 2017, and four months in the Cairo Conrad before that. Our final joint Hilton points tally was approximately 10 million, and Lifetime Diamond for both my wife and I. All the time we retained owned houses in one of the USA / UK, and the Philippines - so never a question of being homeless.
Old Oct 12, 18, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post

Yes, Mrs PtF and I had our entire stay at the Hilton World Trade Centre Apartments, Cairo paid for by my employer; continuously from February 2005 - September 2017, and four months in the Cairo Conrad before that. Our final joint Hilton points tally was approximately 10 million, and Lifetime Diamond for both my wife and I. All the time we retained owned houses in one of the USA / UK, and the Philippines - so never a question of being homeless.
That is so great. I'm sure it got old but it's a great story.

Never been to Cairo and that Conrad seems reasonably priced...
Old Oct 14, 18, 7:08 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post

5 min? Way too humble. As far as I am concerned, you are one of the top FT legends.
wizla likes this.
Old Oct 15, 18, 2:31 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I am at over 190 nights for the year also from leisure travel only, but only 40 of those nights have been with Hilton because of the lack of guaranteed late checkout. A Hilton property lost my business tonight because they absolutely refused to guarantee a 2PM late checkout for tomorrow stating that 12:30PM was the latest they could do even though they are not sold out. The fact that I have to call a property to ask if they can accommodate even just a 2PM late checkout before booking is a major downside of Hilton against the competition.

Search this Thread