Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Updates to Hilton’s Current Best Price Guarantee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updates to Hilton’s Current Best Price Guarantee

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by haledjian
Where does it say that in the terms and conditions? They compared the final booking price, which my price was higher by 2 euros because of taxes and fees. However, the listed nightly rate is lower than Hilton's.
In all of my 4 successful price matches, it was done with the nightly rate
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
In all of my 4 successful price matches, it was done with the nightly rate
But surely it's swings and roundabouts.

If you have to compare two rates, one of which includes taxes, then either you strip out the taxes from one, or add taxes to the other.

Otherwise, to mix metaphors, you are comparing apples with oranges.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:24 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But surely it's swings and roundabouts.

If you have to compare two rates, one of which includes taxes, then either you strip out the taxes from one, or add taxes to the other.

Otherwise, to mix metaphors, you are comparing apples with oranges.
Yes, and I have seen third party websites that add more "taxes and fees" than hilton.com.

Example:
Hilton.com 100 + taxes 10 = 110 total
Third party 95 + taxes 20 = 115 total

Good luck getting this BRG approved!

The total matters.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4
Yes, and I have seen third party websites that add more "taxes and fees" than hilton.com.

Example:
Hilton.com 100 + taxes 10 = 110 total
Third party 95 + taxes 20 = 115 total

Good luck getting this BRG approved!

The total matters.
To be honest the Hilton BRG is hardly worth the effort and frustration for just 25% off a rate (usually) just a little below Hilton's own. Of course, there are exceptions - and longer stays can bring significant rewards for the effort.

IHG's scheme used to focus minds with a free night if you found a lower rate: great for one night stays! There the drill that worked for me (and IHG) was comparing the hotel rate complete with taxes, to any outside net rate that included taxes: it seems a sensible approach, comparing final bills.

It got more difficult to win the BRG as it became better known and more widely understood, and was ditched last year for something feeble resembling Hilton's scheme.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:06 am

They're giving me the run-around now when I try to price match with Priceline since there's a sale price for the hotel. However, they said they don't price match "sale prices". I asked them where on the terms and conditions it shows that, but they said "It doesn't, you have to call in to find out". This price match is ridiculous.
trantor2312 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haledjian
This price match is ridiculous.
Well, ridiculous to you and me maybe.

But it works just fine in terms of Hilton marketing: they trumpet to the world that they are fair-players, honest geezers, who even offer a best-rate guarantee.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
To be honest the Hilton BRG is hardly worth the effort and frustration ....
Agreed.

For some reason the hilton team appear repeatedly 'unable' to see the cheaper rate I can see on the same website in the same moment. This applied as recently as today to both agoda and amoma.

Pointless and frustrating. It can be hard to remain polite!
trantor2312 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:13 pm

Longish post below, but wanted to give readers data point:

It was my first time attempting BPG rate, and I just successfully received a BPG rate for a one night hotel stay in New Zealand. It took 3 phone call attempts, and a transfer to "Guest Services" to get the rate, but still don't know how they decide to honour or not. For context/background, the first two times I called was earlier in the day and the price difference was approximately $25 NZD. The third time I called was later in the evening of the same day, and the price difference was now $8 NZD, where the third party website's price went up. I was looking to book a pre-paid non refundable rate. The website I was matching against was Agoda, and the first two times I called, the agents kept saying they did not see my rate, even though they were "appearing" to be helpful, asking me to make sure my dates were correct and to refresh my screen etc. On my third attempt, the agent said they couldn't honour the price because the price was "on sale" with a markdown of 20% (the way Agoda advertises their prices). I was legitimately dumbfounded by her response and just said "ummmm" for a good 10 seconds, before she proactively transferred me to a different department/supervisor. I'm going to assume she did this, because she must have saw my rate and didn't know how else to deny the rate. The last person I spoke to was really easy to deal with and processed my claim very quickly after I told him the website and rate I was seeing. After receiving the confirmation on my e-mail with the 25% discounted rate, he asked if there was anything he could help with. I was definitely curious and asked for him to confirm if he saw the same rate I did on Agoda, but indicated he didn't check to see the rate I quoted, but due to the late time that I was calling (approx 10pm EST), he'd like to process my rate first for me and would check in their internal system afterwards.

While the last person over the phone helped me in my favour, it still irks me. I would much rather consistent customer service and for their customer service to follow the terms and conditions as advertised to customers, as it's supposed to be very straight forward and simple terms. Going through this experience does not help me any more or give me confidence the next time I see a better price.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:38 am

They are total liars

they refuse to price match the ad is fake as can be i found it for less they refused to match the price i have a recorded conversation too bad there is no place to post it online so people could hear how fake they are and what terrible service they provide when i asked to talk to a manager they said that they wont put a manager or supervisor on the phone just total B.S.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:28 am

Hilton should be ashamed for even offering the Price Match Guarantee.

I received the run around yesterday. They asked for time stamped screenshots of the websites (hotels.com and expedia.com), emailed those to them clearly showing the lower rate and they rejected my claim. Shame on Hilton.

I re-booked the same room 10 minutes ago and refiled a claim. Below is my detailed information I typed into the optional information box:

Today's Date: 02/07/2020

Claim Submission Time: 10:12am PST

I booked the Deluxe Suite - 1 King Bed - Non-Smoking with Free Cancellation via hilton.com's website and booked the room with the "Honors Discount" for $292.27 (includes all taxes). This reservation was made on 02/07/2020 @ 10am PST.

The same room exact room with free cancellation (and pay via online or at the hotel) on expedia.com and hotels.com is $286.32 (includes all taxes). This pricing is online at 02/07/2020 @ 10:05am PST.

Let's see what happens.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Alaska Air MVP Gold
It is a frustrating process; however can save money. I am a Hilton Diamond member. I have had the best experience and most success when I call during US business hours and ensure that I actually have reached the Diamond desk...I book with the Hilton representative so that I don't risk the eventual denial when you submit the web form after making the reservation...almost all of my "Best Price" matches have been honored without too much difficulty.

I booked the Doubletree in Lisbon, Portugal yesterday. The Hilton agent simply compared the hotels.com price for a king room to the Hilton.com rate and honored the lower rate, less the 25%. Probably the easiest time I've had.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: A3 *S, JK *G (not anymore), HH G (not anymore)
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
Agreed.

For some reason the hilton team appear repeatedly 'unable' to see the cheaper rate I can see on the same website in the same moment. This applied as recently as today to both agoda and amoma.

Pointless and frustrating. It can be hard to remain polite!
This very same thing just happened to me...

I was denied the “Price Match Guarantee” because they “couldn’t find the rate”… I sent the exact link and a screenshot, but they continued to reject the claim.

Shame on Hilton!​​​​​
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:31 am

I've been denied a price match by Hilton because the cheaper rate from Hotels.com required me to "log in" to my account on Hotels.com.

"Price must be without restrictions, meaning it is viewable and bookable by anyone.......or are not available to the general public (like member rates, negotiated rates and team member rates), or require a login, credit card number or a code to see"

What a joke of a price guarantee. Anyone can set up a Hotels.com membership in a minute, and they don't allow that for price comparison purposes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.