Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Worth pushing for Diamond or is Gold enough?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver

Hey guys, I'm on 46 nights so far this year and wondered if it's worth pushing for Diamond in terms of being able to get Exec Lounge access etc. or is Gold usually good enough to get room upgrades (subject to availability of course) and hence the lounge access?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Hey guys, I'm on 46 nights so far this year and wondered if it's worth pushing for Diamond in terms of being able to get Exec Lounge access etc. or is Gold usually good enough to get room upgrades (subject to availability of course) and hence the lounge access?
Perhaps you need to ask, in your nights so far this year, for hotels that have an executive lounge, how many times did you get executive lounge access and how many times were you denied?
Beano, kmwjes, B3nder and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
How many stays do you need? Often this is easier for many.

Also perhaps depends where you travel. In Europe / Asia it is probably better being Diamond. Maybe not so in the USA where Hilton hand out Diamond like confetti.
Beano and Seabilly like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Perhaps you need to ask, in your nights so far this year, for hotels that have an executive lounge, how many times did you get executive lounge access and how many times were you denied?
Most of the properties I have stayed at this year have been Hampton (all rooms are the same) or Doubletree (a few room upgrades) and so no lounge. Next year however it's possible I'll be staying at more Hilton properties.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
How many stays do you need? Often this is easier for many.

Also perhaps depends where you travel. In Europe / Asia it is probably better being Diamond. Maybe not so in the USA where Hilton hand out Diamond like confetti.
I need 18 stays or 14 nights Not so many one night stays thus far. I'm based in Europe and can't achieve Diamond via the credit card route.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
In that case, I would push forward and secure Diamond.
kmwjes likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If it's relatively organic, other people's money travel, then go for Diamond to get the guarantee lounge status and both points and breakfast.

However, I've usually ended up regretting every Ł spent on mattress running Hilton Diamond status. Any hotel that is generous to Diamonds is also pretty generous to Golds. And the hotels where you need Diamond status to DYKWIA into the lounge, etc. are the hotels that you won't want to stay more than once...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I can't imagine paying four digits for a mild bump in hotel status (figuring 14 nights @ $100 USD)- surely you could buy nicer rooms and lounge visits (or restaurant meals) for that kind of money?

I figure the marginal benefits for Gold are at most a couple hundred dollars. Not sure about Gold->Diamond.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you can do it within your normal travels from now through Dec 31, then yes - I'd say go for it. You're basically on the right pace to get there, presumably without a bunch of unnecessary mattress running.

If we were sitting on Dec 15 and talking about burning cash on mattress runs, I'd say no - Diamond isn't worth enough to justify that.

Diamond status at a European hotel with a good lounge is kind of nice to have.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
You’d also get 50k Hilton points for the 50 and 60 night bonuses. I think you also get to gift Gold to someone after 60 nights.

15 consecutive award nights at a 5k hotel, would only cost 60k points. At .4 cents per point, only a $240 investment, or $40 after the 50k you’d get as bonuses. Maybe sponsor a friend in Bali?
pinniped likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
You’d also get 50k Hilton points for the 50 and 60 night bonuses. I think you also get to gift Gold to someone after 60 nights.
I thought it was 10k at 50 and 30k at 60?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

15 consecutive award nights at a 5k hotel, would only cost 60k points. At .4 cents per point, only a $240 investment, or $40 after the 50k you’d get as bonuses. Maybe sponsor a friend in Bali?
Nice. OP, if you can pull this off, do it and forget what I said about it not being worth it!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
No chance of a status match and 8 stays for Diamond?

I do a lot of stays (employer funded) in London, and Diamond status means I am guaranteed lounge access and associated free snacks & booze in the lounge vs. Gold (might get upgraded to executive room, but not a huge success rate). Especially when many London Hiltons have Standard -> Deluxe -> Executive so a standard room booking needs 2x upgrades for lounge access.
If your stays are in quieter cities with, perhaps, standard or executive rooms, you might get good success rates on lounge access via Gold upgrades, but I’m comfortable with knowing i have lounge access guaranteed at Diamond and not stressing about what sort of upgrade I might or might not get at check-in.

If you are travelling occasionally and don’t have a drink problem like mine, then the free breakfast with Gold may be enough ;-)
Seabilly and Sisyphus1carus like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I thought it was 10k at 50 and 30k at 60?
10k at 50, 10k+30k at 60. I just got my 60 night bonus posted to my account this week.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

10k at 50, 10k+30k at 60. I just got my 60 night bonus posted to my account this week.
Ah OK.

I should reach 60 on the 31st December haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.