Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Worth pushing for Diamond or is Gold enough?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worth pushing for Diamond or is Gold enough?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
Just get the Aspire card. You'll get Diamond and the benefits of the card MASSIVELY outweigh the cost.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
Just get the Aspire card. You'll get Diamond and the benefits of the card MASSIVELY outweigh the cost.
He can't do the credit card route, since he's not US based.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
Originally Posted by quemalo
He can't do the credit card route, since he's not US based.
Indeed. I wish people would make the most basic of reads of the thread before posting "Get the credit card".

However it is a useful reminder that anybody in the US can be Diamond if they care to be, which leads to "if everybody's elite then nobody is"
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:52 am

There are credit card routes to Diamonds for other countries too. I.E. for Germans: Yearly fee: EUR 48;- (Gold included). DIA comes with a yearly spending of more than EUR 20k.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thbe
There are credit card routes to Diamonds for other countries too. I.E. for Germans: Yearly fee: EUR 48;- (Gold included). DIA comes with a yearly spending of more than EUR 20k.
Do you know if there any credits cards down under ? (Australia/NZ)
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:06 pm

For me, guaranteed lounge access is >80% of the reason why I need Diamond vs Gold.
Lounge is important for me, since probably >50% of my stays occur in properties with EL.
If most of my stays were in properties without EL, then the net benefit would be marginal. Some extra points would be about it. As it is, I hardly ever get upgraded as a Diamond.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Beano
Do you know if there any credits cards down under ? (Australia/NZ)
No, sorry. I know the US AmEx and the German DKB card only to get DIA.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Hey guys, I'm on 46 nights so far this year and wondered if it's worth pushing for Diamond in terms of being able to get Exec Lounge access etc. or is Gold usually good enough to get room upgrades (subject to availability of course) and hence the lounge access?
I personally would not push too hard. Even as a Diamond, room grades domestically are not available often and when they are they aren't great
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by evergrn
For me, guaranteed lounge access is >80% of the reason why I need Diamond vs Gold.
Lounge is important for me, since probably >50% of my stays occur in properties with EL.
If most of my stays were in properties without EL, then the net benefit would be marginal. Some extra points would be about it. As it is, I hardly ever get upgraded as a Diamond.
So, to satisfy my curiosity, if it turned out you were going to be 14 nights away without doing a mattress run, would you drop the +$1k for the mattress run, or would you just book EL rooms with that $1k+ in cash you'd save from not doing the mattress run?

I'm definitely in the "I stay at Hamptons/HGI/Homewood Suites enough that dropping four digits on a mattress run sounds like complete madness- anything more than fairly small amounts of cash for status is silly to me- I'd rather keep my cash and spend it on a nicer room if I need it" group (plus unless the EL is super super nice I'd just as soon go get food elsewhere), but I grant that someone who needs an EL might have different standards...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.