Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

5 Night Mattress Run using Points

Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)

So I am likely to end up a handful of nights short of DM this year. There are several properties near me with standard rooms at 10K per night, so I could book a 5 night stay for 40K points. (Maybe not a great use of points, but leaving that aside.)

But like those who sometimes book a room for one night and never spend the night, I would likely only spend at most one night in the room. It's not really close to home, but I could maybe go by a couple more times and make it look like somebody had been there.

Any thoughts - perhaps at check-in tell the FDA that I will be coming and going and may not be there every night?

TIA,
David
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
When housekeeping find an empty room, some hotels do indeed check you out early. Sometimes informing the front desk works, sometimes it doesn't.

If the hotel isn't too inconvenient, just leave a suitcase with some old clothes and toiletries, etc. in the room, and a note saying that you want a base in the area for a few days. In the afternoon of the fifth night, you return to pick up your things and sneak out as you would for a one-night mattress run.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:04 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Better check those 10K properties are still 10K after today's devaluation
craigthemif likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
That's a very good point!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Most of the 10k properties seem to be hanging on. Still an assortment in NM, OK, IN, one in Bakersfield, CA; one in La Junta, CO...
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by craigthemif
When housekeeping find an empty room, some hotels do indeed check you out early. Sometimes informing the front desk works, sometimes it doesn't.

If the hotel isn't too inconvenient, just leave a suitcase with some old clothes and toiletries, etc. in the room, and a note saying that you want a base in the area for a few days. In the afternoon of the fifth night, you return to pick up your things and sneak out as you would for a one-night mattress run.
Good idea, thank you!

Just checked, still at 10K for now.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:01 pm

Check in, hang up the DND sign, then go home.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by muzthe42nd
Hilton is one of those chains that reserves the right to do guest welfare checks if you leave a DND up for too long.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...icy/997772001/
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:13 am

I had no idea 10k point properties existed in US.

I've done park/stay/fly packages at several Hilton properties. Usually I don't stay. As far as I can remember, every property in my experience was willing to preset my checkout for the day after my check-in even though I wouldn't be around to check out... so that I could be credited with a stay.

Last edited by evergrn; Sep 16, 2018 at 12:19 am
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by evergrn

I've done park/stay/fly packages at several Hilton properties. Usually I don't stay. As far as I can remember, every property in my experience was willing to preset my checkout for the day after my check-in even though I wouldn't be around to check out... so that I could be credited with a stay.
I am not really sure how intentionally having the property do that meshes with the terms and conditions of the program... of course you can do what you want after you check in; just leave, etc. The property won't know unless you tell them...

Frankly you paid them for their space for a night so they have gotten the revenue from you necessary to grant the credit. I get that. But these programs seem to say that you have to stay there to get the credit. That's why you normally don't get credit for a cancellation penalty/first night stay fee even though they get their revenue out of you...
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by evergrn

Absolutely 10k point properties exist in the US. They are not bad places. Just a bit remote/boring. Usually with a view of the interstate and a Wal Mart in close proximity. Or in some cases, no Wal Mart for another 30 miles. I've been to quite a few of them. Most do not come up when searching for a major city because they are so far from any major city...
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by DiverDave
So I am likely to end up a handful of nights short of DM this year. There are several properties near me with standard rooms at 10K per night, so I could book a 5 night stay for 40K points. (Maybe not a great use of points, but leaving that aside.)

But like those who sometimes book a room for one night and never spend the night, I would likely only spend at most one night in the room. It's not really close to home, but I could maybe go by a couple more times and make it look like somebody had been there.

Any thoughts - perhaps at check-in tell the FDA that I will be coming and going and may not be there every night?

TIA,
David
Even better, find a friend who can check you into a 5k property. I kicked myself for not booking more nights at the 5k DPS HGI when I was there a few months back. Hopefully the rates didn’t go up there.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I am not really sure how intentionally having the property do that meshes with the terms and conditions of the program... of course you can do what you want after you check in; just leave, etc. The property won't know unless you tell them...

Frankly you paid them for their space for a night so they have gotten the revenue from you necessary to grant the credit. I get that. But these programs seem to say that you have to stay there to get the credit. That's why you normally don't get credit for a cancellation penalty/first night stay fee even though they get their revenue out of you...
Well, whether what's been allowed and done by these properties agree with t&c of the program is not really my business. I've been upfront with them, saying I'm checking in but am taking the shuttle immediately and not really using the room. They agree to check me out the next day, and I get my points. And if I ever come across a hotel that won't do that for me, then I'll just start pretending like I'm using my room. Either way, you should get the stay credit as long as you check in. As for not getting the credit when you no-show and if you are assessed 1-night stay, that's because you never checked in.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Absolutely 10k point properties exist in the US. They are not bad places. Just a bit remote/boring. Usually with a view of the interstate and a Wal Mart in close proximity. Or in some cases, no Wal Mart for another 30 miles. I've been to quite a few of them. Most do not come up when searching for a major city because they are so far from any major city...
Okay, I need to look harder for these places.
I just don't ever remember seeing any place where I live (WA) for <20k in recent memory.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by muzthe42nd
People should stop giving this advice. DND signs are widely ignored and the hotel is obliged to check the room occasionally. (i.e. is there a dead body or a weapons arsenal in there?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.